My son is 3 and has never had a formed stool. When he was a baby he had 5-6 loose stools a day. We switched his formula to Nutramigen and that helped. When he went to solid foods, I expected him to start having formed stools. He didn't. He usually has only 1 bowel movement a day, but it is never formed. He's been tested for everything I can think of (cystic fibrosis, celiac disease, etc.) He has had and endoscopy and colonoscopy where they biopsied 6 parts of his GI tract and it all came back normal. He complains that his tummy hurts daily and he passes alot of gas. He does not drink any juice and he has been placed on a hihgh fat diet. We add fiber to his diet daily. He is suppose to be on Immodium and Bentyl, but he doesn't want to take it. Doctors never seem concerned because he looks so 'healthy'. I am hoping he will grow out of this. We have follow up appointments with the specialist every 3 months to check up on him.... Allergy testing came back okay, food studies,etc...

I have been reading all of your posts and am really sad that there isn't anyone out there who has been through this and can post a positive end to give us hope. My son started having diarrhia when he was 18 months old. He is now 4 and we are in the same boat as everyone else. From the outside he looks like anyother normal four year old. He is very tall for his age at 43 inches tall and weights 36 lbs. He continues to grow and gain weight every year. He has been tested for everything under the sun. We have had food allergy tests (which he is also allergic to nuts), stool samples, urine samples, and blood tests galore. We have restricted his diet at one point to only the BRAT diet and that made everything worse. We have eliminated Soy, and dairy at different times with no change to the diarrhia. He has sensitive skin to begin with so at times he has had open sores that bleed. It has been a total nightmare changing him when his bottom is that way. We have found that Triple Paste is the best bottom cream out there. It is expesive but well worth it. Also using Viva paper towels dipped in water instead of wipes because there isn't any alchohal in them. He is on Loperamide which is a form of Immodium AD but actually we recently backed off on his dose. He was beginning to act tired all the time and didn't even want to play most days. Since we have backed off he has been doing better. I am at a complete loss. We were told he would grow out of this around the time he was four. Well, now he is and nothing has changed. We have seen the top Pediatric GI specialist at Childrens Mercy and still no answers.
I am begging if there is anyone out there who has had their child diagnosed with toddler diarrhia and has gotten better please post what happened to you. We need some hope for our children.
Thank you to all that have posted your stories. For years I have thought I was all by myself in this. I will pray for all of your children to be healed.

My daughter is 2 1/2 and has had "toddler diarrhea" since she was 16 months's old. We sent a stool sample to the lab and it all came back negative. I eliminated all juice and had no luck. For about 3 month's we dealt with about 2 nasty diapers a day. One day, I happened to mention it to my chiropractor. He said that he wanted to do some adjustments on her and she would be his experiment for a while. By the way, I have a great chiropractor who I trust tremendously. I wouldn't let my child just be anyone's experiment. He didn't even charge me during the experimental phase. After the first adjustment I could tell things were looking up. After the second adjustment I had a perfect little "poop". I have never been so excited to see poop. If it hadn't been a Sunday morning I would have called my chiropractor just to let him know. At first she went for adjustments twice a week. Then we tapered off to once a week and then once every 4 weeks. Right now I've been going on an as needed basis. We've had another flare up and I'm thinking I need to go back to every 4 weeks. I know it sounds crazy to take your child to chiropractor, but they adjust little ones differently than they do adults. The key is finding a good one that you can trust. I hope this helps anyone, it is the ONLY thing that has given my daughter any relief.

I am so glad that i have found this site. It hasen't really helped me at all but now i know that i am not alone. My son is 19 months old and he has never had a solid BM. His pediatrician didnt seem to think that it was a big deal at all. She told me that he is still growing and gaining weight so he is fine and that diarreha is just normal for some children. I still had my doubts so i took him to a pediatric GI. Since then they have done so many stool samples and blood tests that i cant count them any more. The last test that they did was running a scope down his throat and one up his bottom to look for anything that didnt look right. They did find one spot on his intestine that didnt look right but they told me that it ca,e back as nothing. The dr just keeps telling me that it is this so called toddlers diarreha and that he will eventually grow out of it. Im sorry but that isnt a good enough answer for me cuz my child is suffering. I even took him off all sugar juices and still nothing so i am not sure what to do now. I just want him to be pain free and happy.
Thanks Kelli

I posted last July sharing my frustrations about our foster/adoptive son's chronic diarrhea. Since then we have found some answers and some relief at last. I hope what I share can help other as well. We went through so many tests, but the test that gave us the answer was the endoscopy that took a sample from the duodenum, just past his stomach. It turns out that our son lack the enzyme to break down surcose. This is a condition called Surco-Isomaltase Difficiency. There is a medication to help his body break down sugars including white sugar and anything that has sucrose in it. The medication is called Sucraid. However, we rarely use it because we found an easier solution. We reduce the sugar in his diet as much as possible (fructose, corn syrup, and sugar substitute are ok in moderation), and we give him whole milk to drink ALL the time. No juice, and water only occasionally. If whole milk is not available we go for 2%, but lots of fat is the key as it slows down the metabolism. So far as we have done this we have gone from 10 dirty diapers a day to one or two formed stools. He is now toilet trained as well! We are so relieved, and hope any of you experiencing these issues will also find relief.

I feel so much for all of you. My daughter is now two and has been thru so much! In the end, the only solution for us was a holistic doctor, ours was a Naturpathic Doctor. There are also DO's that are holistic. My daughter was constantly ill with earaches, upper respitorary infections, and vomiting. She did not have diarrhea, but had constipation that was horrifically painful. She had a distended stomach and developmental delay. She was also developing asthma. Her height and weight were normal. She has been on Miralax since birth. Our pediatrician did not share our concerns and the allergy specialist was no help. In fact no one was concerned about the constant vomiting until our daughter had a severe reaction to the MMR shot because it contains eggs and it ends up she was allergic. Our ND ran special allergy tests called IgG Blood Tests and determined that she was allergic to EGGS, GLUTEN, SOY, and DAIRY. Her diet is very restrictive, but it does WORK. She is so much healthier and happier! Please remember that while you are seeing the best specialist that "modern" medicine has to offer, you may not be getting the HEALTH care that your children need. Educate yourselves on the tests and don't take no for an answer. It is not normal for our kids to be this sick. It took me two years of advocating for my daughter to find the solution. I wish you the very best and pray for your children.

OMG - I thought we were the only ones going through this.
My son will be 2 in a week and has not had normal stools since he was 3wks old. From birth I had him on Similac Formula with Iron. He was constipated and had major cramps and screamed the most horrible cries.
We switched him to Isomil and that was night and day. He stopped screaming in pain but his bowels were loose to liquid. I was told it would sort itself out when he would eat solids. It did not. He still cannot have any foods that contain milk.
In January he started having really severe Diarrhea. I took him every week for 6 to 7 weeks to the doc's. They did blood work, stool samples etc etc.
He saw a ped and he was baffled at the fact that he was not loosing weight and was still growing normaly (actually very tall for his age) and also was energetic. They all told me to wait it out.
Then one morning his belly was all swollen on one side. I rushed him to Sick Kids. They did xrays, blood wrk and stool samples again. Everything was normal. Again we were told to wait it out. His BM became loose as oppose to being just watery and less frequent.
On October 30th it started again with a vengence. I return to the doc's to be told it's only a stomach flu. Then he starts vomitting, I return to the doc's, now we are told it's probably just a Gastro and to just wait it out.
He now has stopped vomitting but his BM's are terribly watery. One day I had to change his diaper 16 times in one day. It was a beautiful sunny day and we couldn'T even make it outside. He just sat on the changing pad and play. When he would have a BM he would lay down and ask to be changed!!! He wakes up in the night with bm's. On a regular day it is normal for me to change on average 6 to 8 watery bm's for my son. (plus I have a home daycare). These past few days it has gotten so bad that we have a hard time making it out of the house because it is so frequent.
I returned to the doctors this afternoon and demanded that they do some tests or that we see a specialist. My family doctor refered me to a GI ped specialist. So we will keep our fingers crossed.
If we find something that works I will post it in big bold letters :-)
To every mom that is going through this with your child, hang in there you and your child are not alone. Keep fighting for them to keep looking and to find what is wrong.

I forgot to mention too; I was told to stop giving him juice.
I hardly ever give my children juice (my daughter has sensitivity to some juices so to avoid any problems I don't keep any in the house). I try to stay away from as much processed foods, sugar or sweetners as possible. And I keep him away from any diary products. I even had him as a Vegan for about 2wks and there was No change. I tried to eliminate any wheat & soy thinking it could be an allergy to the soy bean or to wheat and that also did nothing.
Every change I have done we kept it up for about 2wks to make sure his body had time to adjust and we could see if there was any change. And well there was none.
If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know as I am open to anything to try to help him at this point.

I am glad to see I'm not the only person dealing w/ this. My 11m old has been dealing w/ this for a month now. I dont know what to do about it.

I too have been struggling with this with my son he is 19 mo. now and has never had normal POOP! he has been poked and proded over and over he doed have a allergy to eggs and milk but nothing else so they say he has been tested for celic disease that was neg now they seem to think he may have cystic fibrosis but i just dont know any more im so lost and confused! he butt bleeds for all the runny poo ...........any ideas? im going to run the two ideas i got from here to night by the ped tomorrow wish me luck

please if any one reads this and has any advice at all please e mail me at _[removed]_

Don't want to scare the hell out of anyone, but for those of you that have been going with this for a few years.......I just finished watching a show where the child had chronic diarreah for years and then moved onto learning disorders and eye problems.......final diagnosis in the end was CTX. It's a rare genetic disorder, but for anyone who's tried everything, wouldn't hurt to ask the doc I guess.

My daughter had very similar problems, she was refered to a pediatric gi doctor. He told me to add extra fat to her diet, example heavy whipping cream, half n half, extra butter, mayo or anything with a high fat content. She went from 9 weeks of striaght watery diarreha, to some normal poops. It worked! At the follow up visit, he told us because her digestive enzymes, i cant remember what they were called, were gone do to a viral infection or being on antibiotics. He said her food was not digesting properly and that the fat would slow it down through the gi tract giving it a chance to digest slower. I just add a few ounces of heavy whipping cream a day to her milk and were set. I have taken her off of this "diet" for a few days and the diarreha did return. I sugest you try it! Ask the doc about it first. No reason,but just in case they are opposed.

Hi Kim,

I my daughter is now 2yrs old. She was born at 9lbs 8oz. Since she was born she has gain 30lbs, she wieghts 41lbs and 38in tall. My doctor says that is good and normal. She aslo has a very large stomach, she wears a 5T to 6T tee shirt at the age of two. And now for the past 2 months she has had Chronic Diarrhea. Her stool has always been hard to some what loose. And now it is loose to watery. Finally, we are testing her stool and I have to wait seven days for the results. The wieght is making very nerves, she has not lost any weight she gaining all the time. Someone PLease help!

Kim

I had posted before I read anything,I can can not believe there are so many parents going through this. My doctor has told me for three months now it is problem nothing. But I feel it is. I did read alot of helpfull things. I now have alot of questions for my doctor. My daughter stopped drinking, but we put her back on it, but she still has diarrhea, there are some days better then others, and some days with NO bowel movements. She does drink ALOT of juice and maybe two bottles of milk a day. I started her on White grape juice like the doctor said to and NO change. Like I stated before we are finally doing stool testing and now I have to wait. She has always had a large belly and everyone says she will grow out of it she's a baby, but I dont think it is because she is a baby, it not normal to me. Need Help!

Kim

**edited by moderator** **e-mails are not allowed**

Our son has been having chronic Diarrhea for almost a year. I thought it was the fact he was teething still; however, his face started breaking out with red splotches all around it. Our babysitter suggested he might be allergic to milk. We took him off dairy and started giving him Rice Milk, but not as much and noticed an improvement in his face, but his stools were still very loose. He then caught a cold and we took him off milk because of mucus that milk causes and was giving him water and soda for the electrolytes. His diapers were like brown water. I then searched the Internet and read a post from someone about their child who had similar issues and they related to their child not being able to breakdown sugars. Well, we found that is the issue with our son. After reading that person's post - we took our son off sugars and started giving him at least two glasses of rice milk a day. Within 48 hours our son had a regular stool. We also found our son is allergic to apples. He gets diaper rash and stomach pain when he eats fresh apples. It seems to be many of these are food allergies. I would also say, that we had our son tested for food allegeries and it showed apples and milk, but not sugars. Also, the other thing this other post said was that if your child has been on an antibiotic - that this can cause the enzymes that are needed to breakdown sugar to be eliminated. Our son has had two ear infections - causing us to put him on antibiotics. It was right around this same time that this problem started. I hope this helps anyone else who reads it.