Hi, i to have a child with chronic diarrhea. He is 19 months old. He has had this pretty much since birth. He was formula fed as an infant. They had us try pretty much every formula out there and nothing helped, not even the hypoallergenic ones. He was switched to milk and then the problems still persisted. They had my at 15 months switch him to Lactaid as well, thinking lactose intolerance, but it only helped for a week, then the diarrhea came back even worse. They then had him go on no juice at all, thinking that was the problem. So far it helps a little but not completely, i think it may only help for a short time as everything else has only helped a while. I was told to completely avoid Apple, Grape, White Grape, and prune juices as they are natural laxatives and could be making the problem worse. I was free to try other juices with caution, such as kiwi, peach, etc. My son also has consistently been way below the 3% on the growth charts. They can not explain it. Yogurt was advised for the beneficial bacteria in it, and other foods of that nature. My son also is hard of hearing in both ears, they trying to find out why and if possibly connected to his other problems. They ran a test on him to check for Cystic Fibrosis, and we are still awaiting results there. Well will keep you all posted if I get any insight into this.

my son is experiencing all the same symptoms. the doctor have done all kinds of tests and blood work and haven't found any diagnosis. does your child have any good stools?

i googled "chronic diarrhea 2 months toddler" about a week ago and lo and behold, up came this thread. i clicked on it and read all 5 pages of people who are suffering from the same thing. my son, 30 months, has had consistent 5 diaper a day diarrhea for the last 10 weeks. i googled out of desperation just to try to find someone who might have some answers. we've been through blood work and stool samples, probiotics, and removing milk completely from his diet for fear of a milk allergy. we were, the next day, to do allergy testing and try to get him in to a gi specialist to get an ultrasound. no one this far had been able to give any answers or any possibility of conclusions.

so with that, as you can understand, i read through this post and left with a sick feeling in my stomach. is it food that all of this kids eat, you know, all the hormones, additives, and preservatives they add; is it lead poisoning or melamine from china; is it from this most recent discovery of salmonella poisoning in chicken; or could it even be an antibiotic that we had given him when he was sick previously. anyway, i couldn't even reply to this post because of how sick it made me. i needed answers and nobody down to the last reply had been able to give any hope whatsoever. i wasn't sure if the kids were getting better and then the parents never posted any solution to the problem or if there was no solution to the problem except to wait and let it fizzle out.

well i'm going to post this and maybe give some hope to all of these questions.

my son's diarrhea is completely gone as of yesterday. we had gotten some suggestions from our local health food store and they gave us an alimentary detoxification called "bentonite" made by "great plains." it is 100% safe for children and you just mix up 1 tablespoon into a sippy. it has kind of a chalky texture because it's minerals so we mixed it with his rice milk. you give it every two hours (we stopped at night and resumed in the morning) until the diarrhea stops. it doesn't cause more diarrhea which is something i was concerned about before starting, and it's effect is not constipation. it traps and passes things in the digestive system the stomach cannot release. whether it be bacterial, viral, fungal, or parasitical. it was one of our last options before doing even more in depth testing and i wish that it would have been our first. talk to your local health food store and see what they can offer you. i'm sure this is much of the same out there made by different people. believe me, it's worth a try. i hope that this give someone some hope and maybe a new something that they hadn't been recommended. oh yeah, by the way, no bacteria or parasites showed up in the tests but we have strong idea that it had something to do with worms of some form or another. there was stuff in his diapers that made us wonder.

if you have any questions for me, let me know. thanks

My daughter has had loose stools with excessive gas and a distended tummy since she was about 12 months old, just as we started to quit nursing. She is now 21 months old. We too have had repeated blood tests, repeated stool samples, abdominal ultrasound, upper gi, etc. Her symptoms sounded like classic celiac, but the blood test has been negative 3 times. We have tried eliminating dairy, soy, and gluten with no real change. We were scheduled for food allergy testing on 1-9-09, but the appt was moved to 1-26. We are now also scheduled for the upper endoscopy and colonoscopy on 2-26. Our gi dr has also mentioned the possibility of that rare sugar intolerance, or possibly a false negative from the celiac tests. Sorry to be another post with only commiseration and no answers, but I will re-post after our upcoming tests. It is good to hear I'm not over-reacting and that other people have been through the same thing. My daughter was very small for the first year (below 1%) and is now up to the 10%, but needless to say it's harder to overlook chronic diarrhea when we're already worried about her weight. Other than that she's always been 100% healthy.

my 3 yr old son has also started having weird diarrhea patterns. for the past 4 months - once a month he'll have diarrhea bouts that will last 1-2 weeks with each day having 7-14 stools. the third month was the most severe and finally took him to the pediatrician. they tested his stool for everything - salmonella, giardia, cdiff, rotavirus and many more. everything came back negative. the pediatrician says it's just a bug. he jousted started again today(the 4th month) of these episodes. he complains of a bad cramp in his belly and then has a diarrhea. no vomiting, no fever, no decrease in appetite or oral intake. his stools are really mucousy and yellowish in color and have the worst odor. a friend of mine, a crna, was saying that anytime a child is on an antibiotic that it can disturb the normal flora in our intestines. it has been 2 years since he's had antibiotics but she said it can still be disrupted after that time span and that even yogurt - which is good - but all the sugar can even worsen the diarrhea symptoms. she was telling me that some health food stores sell 'probiotics' which can be given to replace the normal flora in our intestines and can regulate diarrhea symptoms. i may try it but am thinking may check into a ped gi - it just doesn't seem normal to have what he gets. any ideas??

like many other moms I googled toddler tummy/diarrhea and came upon this thread. I am in tears reading all these entries, because this is my life too. My wonderful daughter Lily has been having chronic diarrhea since the weekend before Thanksgiving 2008. Since she was an infant it seems as though her bowels have been an issue. Due to some issues at her birth, we never tackled breastfeeding, for 4 1/2 months I pumped and fed her from a bottle exclusively. Then I started to supplement with formula, she started with constipation, so I concocted my own formula -a mixture of regular similac-int he blue can, and enfamil gentleness-with 1/4 less lactose that regular formula. She did well and we had no problems. Then when she started eating solids-no problems I was careful though to not give her too many banannas-as though did constipate her, and whenever she seem constipated I gave her prunes and it was over. Once she turned 1 we started giving her whole milk. That first month following her 1 st birthday was awful. She got her first 2 teeth the day after she turned one, so I knew it wasn't teething, but she started with really soupy smelly diapers, I could hear her stomach just churning after she ate or drank anything, and then she was waking up at night, and not wanting to go to sleep at all-which was definitely odd, since she'd been sleeping through the night since she was 2 months old. So after consulting on the phone with the doctor we switched her to Lactose free milk. The doctor seemed to think that she wasn't lactose intolerant or allergic, but that maybe she just had a small sensitivity-where she just couldn't handle a plain glass of milk all at once, cause she was drinking like 8oz at a time, 3-4 times a day. Once we switched the milk she started to have regular forms stools, and we figured the problem was just he milk. All was fine until right before Thanksgiving, when she started in again with the awful diarrhea. And since then we've had maybe 3-4 solid stools. at one point she did legitimately have the stomach virus, cause I did too, and she was throwing up and had the fever, but this started prior to and has been going on since. We've tried lots of stuff, I took her off all solids for 36 hours, just water and pedialyte..no change, I did the BRAT diet-no change. Her weight has been approx the same since she was 15 months 20lbs +/- approx lb, although she has grown at least 3 inches. She has always been tiny, in the 5-15% for her age, and I am small to, so not much of a surprise there. We've done 2 sets of stool testing with the doctors, and the first one came back with white blood cells in the stools, so the second one was ordered, and it just came back today with normal results and no white blood cells. Which is good, cause you don't want you child to be sick, but at the same time you know that something is wrong, and you just want to find out what it is, so that you can begin to fix it or address it. I don't know about the rest of you but I am starting to feel like I am doing something wrong, that is hurting my child, it sucks. I broke down in the parking lot at the doctors office today, cause they all seemed so happy that her results came back normal and that it was just toddler tummy, and here I am knowing that something is wrong with my daughter. We have started writing down everything she eats-which is a lot-I mean she eats a ton of food and a wide variety. She loves, veggies-broccoli, soybeans, black beans, beets, squash, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, cauliflower, carrots, snow peas, tomatoes, corn, lime beans,. As a matter of fact she loves to eat period! I feel awful for not giving her fruit, cause she likes it so much, I still give her a whole banana for breakfast, but no juice, and I sneaking in some fruit for desert. The doctor said the low/no fruit juice and limited fruit intake, and high fiber diet work the best, it just gets boring for her wide tastes. I am thinking of going to get a second opinion, just to ease my mind. Also we are on well water, and I am going to get my well tested also. I was told by a different doctor at the pediatric office I see that this was "not a child heath issue, but a laundry issue", basically implying that I was only concerned about this cause of the amount of laundry I had to too. Forget that it takes away our time with our children and family, cause we have to schulde around their bowel movement times. As it was mentioned earlier on, if anyone gets any information or can be of any help, it would be greatly appreciated. It is so hard when your child seems perfectly normal and healthy, to be dealing with this underlying issue. I just want her to be better. I am so thankful I found this thread, I was really feeling alone on this stuff.

Hi everyone,
what i read sounds bad. I have a 14month old daughter she just has a stomach flue. But the problem you describe here remind me on my brother as he was little. You all should ask for a allergy test of food with your kids. I know that doctors do not really like to do that and specially here in the US.
My brother is allergic to all kind of foods and also to almost everything who helps to conserve food longer. And its hard to find food in the US how is not prepared with it.
My brother is now 32 with regular stool. he cooks everything self and hand made mostly he shops in organic stores.
I wish for all of you and your kids all the best and hope they get well soon.
God Bless You

This is a response to all the previous messages of the parents wondering about chronic loose stool and stomach pain..... please schedule an appt with a Gastroenterologist specializing in pediatrics. There are numerous things that could be the diagnosis and in most cases will take the Dr's time to figure this out. I would not accept that your Pediatrician deems it toddler tummy until you have ruled out more serious matters. In my case my son will be 3 years old in April and has never had a solid formed stool. His stool is always loose and sometimes completely watery, and he complains of stomach pain regularly. We let this go far too long with his Pediatrcian's office saying it was any number of minor things from tuddler tummy, to food allergies and lactose intolerance, but his symptoms continued despite the numerous dietary changes we repeatedly made. We finally demanded a GI referrral 6 months ago to our local childrens hospital and have been working with them. Our GI Dr says we should have seen them sooner and likely would already be diagnosed and have a treatment plan. Over the course of his childhod, my son has had the basic RAST allergy tests for food allergies, we have had blood tests for Celiac, parasites, E coli, as well as numerous stool tests. My son is scheduled for Endoscopy and Sigmoidoscopy next week and we are hoping to have some answers then. I felt compelled to urge parents not to try and guess or let it drag on too long in their Pediatrician's hands but to seek out a GI specialist who can begin the necesssary testing toward an answer.

So I read through all six pages of these posts the other day after screaming at the ceiling after my son's fourth BM of the morning the other day. He is fourteen months old and until two month ago was breastfed and then had milk for a few weeks. For the last six weeks he was having loose poop everyday and I started to get really nervous. I was only giving him watered down pedialyte and apple juice, tried soy milk and the brat diet. WELL I finally tried taking him off the apple juice and switching to enriched rice milk and eliminating all fruit products and he had a t**d this morning! It is sad to be so ecstatic about poop- I almost took a picture. I have been giving him boiled potatoes, turkey and chicken lunchmeat, plain pasta, cooked broccoli and cereal. I hope this keeps up and I will slowly introduce fruits again. Hope this helps.

hi my little boy is 27 months 2marrow we are currently going through the doctors for tests as he keeps getting diarrhea on /off for the last 6 months but he had it constant for the last 3 weeks..we ave tried changing foods avoiding foods ..nothing seems to work tried changing to soya products too but still no luck..i just dont know what to do ...x

My 3 and a half year son. Has been suffering from soft stool for the last two weeks. It started when we took him in to the Ped.. for a cold. Come to find out he had a ear infection. They gave him Anti-biotic (brand RANBAXY) that the Ped office had in stock for his ear infection. We normally would get a prescription and take it to Walgreens. Ranbaxy brand was different in color as we were use to the pink liquid antibiotic that we were custom to using, but figured doctor thinks it's good so it must be good. The next day he had soft stool. We gave him the antibiotic for the next 5 days thinking nothing of it. We figured it'll go away after the 10 day supply. We took him back wanting the other brand we were use to that did cause that side affects. Was told after going back to the Ped didn't make any since he's taking it for 7 days. Long story shorter my son still has soft stool since stopping two weeks ago. we've been giving him Probitic from Activia yogart like the doctor suggested. Days in a row with No juice, and still soft stool. I'm thinking about going to a different doctor for a different opinion. I THINK WHAT CAUSED THE CONSTENT SOFT STOOL WAS THE RANBAXY ANTIBIOTIC, MIGHT HAVE DAMAGED MY SON'S STOMACH FLORA. I'M SO UPSET WITH PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY'S AND THE POISON. I believe my son stomach will get batter, but this did not have to happen.

My son as well has had virtually no solid stools for his three years on this earth. It started as a child with him having 12-20 stools a day then began to get progressively worse. No matter how many pediatricians I went to they all told me the same thing, he's pooping and peeing so he's okay. Well by 18 months and 12 specialists later he weighed 14 lbs!!! on the 18 month mark I decided to take him to the doctors that know kids best, at children's hospital in Washington DC. 1 month later and 10 stumped doctors later, we had some answers. My son had a pancreatic enzyme deficiency. His body had no ability to absorb fat into his body. This turned out to be the cause of stools being totally unformed and mucusy. It has been about 1 1/2 years since our trip to childrens and he has finally tipped over the 30lb mark at 3!?!?!? I'm not sure if this is helpful but for some this could be a cause. Make sure if you haven't done it yet that you have the doctor do a 1 week fecal fat study and stool testing. I am forever thankful to the doctor's at childrens and hope that maybe this will help some of your children as well!!!

When I first bookmarked this link, there was one full page of posts and maybe two others on the second page. I have referred back to this link numerous times and can't believe how many of us there are who have kids who are suffering with chronic diarrhea! I haven't had a chance to read through every post, but wanted to write something because just yesterday we got a diagnosis for my 3.75 year old's chronic diarrhea and I wanted to share it just in case it could help other kids.

First, some history...

My son was Twin B, born at 32 weeks 4 days. He was on CPAP in the NICU, but never vented. He was jaundiced for a long time, very anemic, had elevated bone labs for a long time, and had a hard time coming off oxygen. He was eventually diagnosed with Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia and placed on two diuretics to essentially drain the extra fluid out of his lungs. It was within a couple of days of starting the diuretics at the age of three weeks, that his poop changed from normal breastfed baby poopr (yellow and seedy) to green liquid that leaked out of every diaper and left him with horrible diaper rashes.

He was exclusively breastfed until the age of 6 months and, even though I complained to the ped about his weird stools, the ped insisted that breastfed babies had all kinds of stools and this was probably normal. I disagreed, but stopped arguing with them, hoping that once my son started solids, things would turn normal. But that didn't happen. He started solids, but still was pooping constantly and it was so bad that until he was about two years old, he would wake up with poop from his shoulder blades to his knees, just covered in liquid stool. And it was often mucousy, but never bloody. Oh, and he had reflux and was on Prilosec until he was at least a year old, though I don't think that has any correlation to this at all.

He had numerous stool tests done--ova and parasites, giardia, e.coli, fecal fat, fecal elastase, and I don't even know what else. He had a sweat test for cystic fibrosis. He had allergy testing done. Everything kept coming back negative. We saw a pedi GI specialist who re-ran all the stool tests and blood work and, though his liver function tests were always slightly elevated, they were never elevated enough that the docs were too concerned about it.

We tried adding fiber to his diet to bulk up his stools (one or two metamucil crackers a day), with no success. And the docs diagnosed him with Toddler's Diarrhea which is caused by too much fruit juice--note that my son's other parent is a registered dietitian and our children eat a beef-less organic diet full of whole grains and ABSOLUTELY NO JUICE!! Finally the GI docs sort of hinted or suggested that I was making all of this up and, despite the chronic diarrhea (from 3-10 times a day), he was always at the top of the growth charts and was (and still is!) a healthy and robust guy.

So I took him to a holistic D.O. who suggested that his problem could be yeast overgrowth in his gut. She put him on Nystatin (mixed with Stevia powder to try and cut the bitter taste of the Nystatin powder), but my son refused to take it because of the flavor, then the doc switched him to Diflucan, which made his liver function tests go through the roof. So she said that she had to send him back to a GI specialist and recommended a new doc (in Boston--email me at _[removed]_ if you want him name because he is AWESOME!). Oh, it is also worthy to note that the DO did a genetic test for celiac, crohn's and ulcerative colitis. One of the UC labs came back elevated, but in the absence of any other lab elevations, this was considered inconsequential. She also did some blood allergy tests that came back slightly elevated, but again, not elevated enough to suggest a true allergy, though we had also tried some elimination diets with no success.

So I dragged him to the new doc. I loved the new doc. He totally believed me and understood my assertions that this was not Toddler's Diarrhea and there was more going on here. He put my son on probiotics (which was had tried numerous times before), then had us cut out lactose, and eventually did an endoscopy/sigmoidoscopy to see what was going on. A couple of things from the scopes came back wonky, but not wonky enough to make a diagnosis. So we were back to square one.

So then I took him to a shaman--I was desperate at this point! She suggested taking him off ALL milk products. No milk, no whey, no casein. I did that and it seemed to work for a while. He was having relatively formed stools. He wasn't in pain (did I mention that he would scream in pain at times, mostly before pooping? It was heart-wrenching.) Seemed like a cure! The kid had a milk allergy!

Then, after a couple of months, the diarrhea started back up again. So I brought him back to the GI that I love and he suggested a sugar (sucrose or fructose) absorption problem. He had me go online to Kirkman Labs and order some enzyme supplements that would help his body break down the sugars and hopefully stop the diarrhea (the idea behind that being that if there are a lot of unbroken down sugars in the intestine, it pulls water into the intestine, watering down stool and causing diarrhea). But my son started pooping yellow water after we started the enzyme supplements.

So I brought him back to the pedi and demanded that she order an abdominal ultrasound because I had long suspected liver involvement based on his always slightly elevated liver function tests. The ultrasound was yesterday--it showed gallstones and gallsludge, which totally explains the yellow poop (bile) and the pain (gastric colic) and the funky liver function tests. The hypothesis is that the dairy-free diet helped by reducing his fat intake (the kid used to eat a ton of cheese!), which helped alleviate the gallstone-induced problems, but as I got better at cooking without milk products, the fat in his diet increased again, causing a recurrence of the diarrhea.

Sorry for the excessively long post, I just wanted to include everything that we tried, since it was all good stuff to try for these kinds of symptoms. But I also wanted to encourage everyone to get an abdominal ultrasound because it is easy and not at all invasive to the child and could yield some good information! Good luck, everyone! I know how frustrating this is--after searching for an accurate diagnosis for three and a half years, I still can't believe we have one and can actually FIX this for my son!

Wow! So glad I found this website- I too thought I was alone! I have 5 children and three are potty-trained- none of them had firm stool until well after being potty-trained. I always thought that some kids just had soft, mushy, runny stool and well, those were my kids- until recently- can you believe that?
We live as healthy as possible- our kids drink soy and rice milk, eat cheese, lots of veggies, we grind our own flour, fruits, but we hardly ever give them juice. None of them seem discomforted by it and are all growing great- but if I can effect a change in the younger two that would be wonderful!!!!!! I HATE having poop everywhere all the time!
After reading all of the following remarks, this is my plan:

* Increase the normal flora of the GI tract by giving probiotics.
* Find an alimentary detoxification (bentonite) or other such product at our natural food center.
* Decrease sugars which draw liquid into the GI tract.
* Increase fat to slow down digestion (digested food molecules, water, and minerals are absorbed from the cavity of the upper small intestine- so it makes sense that if malabsorption is a problem, it is moving too quickly- I will also watch to find out how quickly the food is going through his system)
* I am also going to purchase some raw milk to facilitate increasing his fat intake AND help with breaking down dairy products. Non-processed milk contains properties that break down lactose- the enzymes in raw milk when activated by the appropriate Ph of the digestive tract become activated and digest ALL the components in the milk! Pasturized milk kills these enzymes and puts a huge burden on the digestive apparatus and for many it is impossible to digest milk. Amazingly, 85% of those diagnosed as lactose intolerant can drink raw milk without a problem.

Thanks to all of you who have written on here!!!!!
I will let you know how it goes!

Wow - I had no idea how many families out there are going through this. I have an almost 3 year old son who has had loose stools for at least 8 - 10 months now, usually 3 - 4 times a day and ranging from very mushy to watery. Sometimes with a VERY foul odor, sometimes normal odor. He also complains about tummy ache and his hips aching as well sometimes.

I am going to the doctor this week and will begin the testing regimens, taking into account everything I've just learned here!

He doesn't eat a lot of dairy or drink any juice at all, so I doubt it's diet related unless it's Celiac or too little fat in his diet - but who knows? I hope we get answers and if so, I'll repost.

Thanks to all for sharing.