we just had the fructose test with our daughter who is two and has had diarrhea since she was 6 months, and we just had to provide a "sample" or her poop, and got the results back within a few days. Our doctor offered us the breath test but we declined because we didn't think she'd handle it well. I would maybe ask another doctor in the practice, because my daughter just turned two and they foudn a way

My 2 1/2 year old has had diarrhea for 6+ months. It really affected his mood and sensory system. The Dr. hasn't been helpful at all. I took him off dairy, which helped for a short time, but then it got bad again. So now we are trying gluten free and dairy free & his BMs have been soft/solid for over a week. I hope it lasts for awhile. It really hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be to eliminate gluten and dairy. He loves almond milk and we just hide all of the other food. I suppose in the long run this will be better for everyone in our family.

Hello- I know this post was a very long time ago but could you please provide me with the lab or doctor and state that detected this in your daughter? You are correct, it is extremely hard to find and I am impressed the lab was able to find it. Thank you so much.

Hi...found this last night and read all 8 pages! I don't feel alone but I do feel overwhelmed that my baby girl will not be cured. My daughter is 13 months old and has had diarea for almost 2 months. We recently went to CHOP and the GI dr ran blood work. In the process now of doing stool samples. Hoping and praying they figure out what's wrong with my little girl. I started her on bentonite clay today...hope it does something! She goes up to 10 times a day. It's overwhelming. I am super crazy about what my girls eat...all natural and organic. At a loss!!

Hello Everyone!

I just received an email that reminded me of this post- I had completely forgotten that I had started it so long ago!  I am amazed how many others are going through the same issues we were/are  

Well, our update is some good, some frustrating.

Jacob was 19 months when I posted this.  We persevered until he was about 3.5 years when his health began to fail.  He was continuing to have frequent loose/watery/fluffy/floating/undigested stools.  He was drinking copious amounts of water, peeing constantly, had a bloated belly, was pale, dark circles under his eyes and had ZERO energy.  I mean, when everyone was outside playing in the snow, he was laying against the garage door, asking to go lay on the couch.  I took him to the Pediatrician AGAIN and DEMANDED tests to be done.  He was tested for Celiac, Diabetes, basic food allergies, iron levels, etc.... I can't remember everything.  His Celiac blood test came back slightly postitive and the scope with biopsies confirmed the diagnosis.  I had mixed feelings- glad we had an 'answer', sad that my son had Celiac and the restrictions that came along with it.

Jacob is now nearly 8 years old.  He is extremely compliant and the celiac diet has helped, but has not "cured" him of his gastric issues.  After 6 months on the diet, his blood levels had recovered to normal, but his stools were not greatly improved.  The pediatric GI dr brushed us off, because his levels were fine, so he must be fine- right?!  We are just plodding along now.  He has better stools, but I still believe they are far from normal.  They are at times 'formed' but have NEVER been hard.  He still goes at least twice a day, many times 3-5.  He is toilet trained and has had perhaps 5-6 stool accidents since being trained at age 3.  He continues to be extremely thirsty and drinks more water than most adults.  He is growing, but slowly.  He is now 10-25th percentile for height and weight.  We did allergy testing through a naturopath, but I have since been informed by several sources that the test we had done (and paid big money for!) has a strong reputation for being a fake.  That test showed an allergy to Milk and Peanuts.  We have not taken him off either of these products at this time.

I will take some time and look back through all of these posts and perhaps take some of your solutions/ideas to our dr- would be amazing if we were able to find a solution through here!

Please continue to be such fantastic advocates for your children!  Listen to that parental instinct and keep persevering!

Kim

I bet your child is allergic to wheat not gluten. The wheat we eat to day is not your grandmas wheat its down right scary if you look into it wheat on a molecular level is only 30% the same of what it once was, which means all that is the same is the look and flavor. everything else has been modifyed for production yeilds and desies tolerants. Take your child of wheat for just one day I bet you will see a If thdifferance. If that does not work Id go see a natrual path, they actually look at solving the problem not just medicating a small child.

Dealing with this problem with grandson.  Has been on almond and coconut milk- no soy or dairy milk.  Brought stools from 5-6 to 1-2 a day.  Has been now off all dairy in foods for two weeks--been told need to be a month to see change-- has changed color of stool.  Has has loose stools since birth  even on breast milk--but mom was taking dairy.  It is so sad that little is been done with this- Toddler diarrhea problem- in the medical aspect.  THIS CONDITION is not normal.  From reading on line I see mothers from Asia- Europe  and US commenting about it.  We seem to be working on a trial by error method!!

My brother has a baby with gastrosecesis (spelling) short gut syndrome, and can't absorb very much nutrients from table foods and there for she always has diahrria. Could just be allergies to foods or could be a illness. Just my thoughts when I read this

If you don't mind me asking, what did you replace the soy milk with? This sounds just like my daughters current situation, she is 16 months.

Wow, my 3-year-old son is going through the same thing. He has probably had fewer than 10 solid stools his entire life. He doesn't complain of belly aches often--the chronic diarrhea is really his only symptom. 2 pediatricians have basically told us "some kids are just like that" and shrugged it off. And for a while, I did too--because he is a growing, healthy, happy kid. But I can't continue to let him have runny poop 3-4 times a day, especially now that he is in preschool part-time and going to a baby-sitter now. He's not home with me as much and getting to a bathroom quickly isn't always possible. He's had a couple of accidents. :(

My heart breaks for him. We are going to a new pediatrician soon and I am going to demand a referral to a GI doctor to prevent this. I don't care if "some kids are just like that."  It is NOT normal to have diarrhea every single day of your life. He's so unfamiliar with what a solid stool is like that on the rare occasion it happens, he announces it. "Mommy, I pooped a t**d! A real t**d!" It seems a little funny, but I just feel so sorry for him! Good luck to the rest of you and to anyone else stumbling upon this thread. Talk to a GI specialist like I'm going to. (P.S. We tried elimanting milk and gluten one at a time and nothing changed at all. He is also on probiotics now, and it's not helping, either.)