Today is day 3 of my tonsillectomy.

Day 1 (Scale of 1 - 10 for pain) 6/10 today :(

I arrived in hospital on Wednesday 29th Oct 08, at 7.30 and was first on the list. The operation takes 45 minutes. I walked down to theatre at 9am and was brought back to the ward 11.10am. My first thoughts when I woke up was that I needed a drink it felt like my throat was really dry. The recovery staff gave me some water with a straw but still being"out of it" I started drinking it that fast I ended up being sick. Once I eventually came round My lips were really sore and I asked the nurse to slap some vaseline on they had even cracked at the sides which indicates that they split my mouth wide open.

Right back on the ward I was so tired I drifted in and out of sleep for the majority of the day. I heard stories about people been given crsips and Ice cream But i wasn't offered anything but water which as much as it hurt I was concious of drinking as much as I could. Dinner time came round and i thought "oh no, here we go" I was given pasta, ham and mushrooms in a creamy cheese sauce with a bowl of custard for pudding and I ate the lot it hurt but it was bearable. The sadest thing was I could not taste anything. Then more sleep then it was coffee time with a piece of cake which went down fine.

Day 2. Pain today 5/10 :?

I kept waking up throughout the night so kept having little sips of water which done some good cause the girl in the next bed hadn't had a drink all night and woke up in extreme pain. I was discharged at 10am so I was home for 11am. I went straight to bed stocked up with water, painkillers and vaseline. I had some noodles for Lunch but left them quite stodgy and had two slices of bread and a bowl of soup and eat the lot. Throughout the day I keep making sure i drink plenty of water and clock watch for the next bout of tablets.

Day 3. 8/10 today :cry:

Extreme pain in swallowing it feels as if I have a golf ball wedged at the back of my throat if i lie back it stops my airways and I can't breath. Still very tired and still drinking plenty of water, it feels as if I have a bit of a cough coming but I'm too scared to cough. I did manage to eat weetabix for breakfast and I had eaten a slice of bread and butter and a packet of crisps. I find it very painful to start eating but after the first few bites it gets slightly easier. My partner has just ordered a curry so I am havinf peas pilau rice and a pompadom.

Had a look at the back of my throat aswel today don't bother it looks disgusting like something is rotting haha. I am going to post tomorrow as well. I have got too much time on my hands hense writing this, but I hope its not as bad reading as some of the horror stories I read previous to my operation.

Should have mentioned I am 28 years of age

Day 4 8/10 for pain :'(

Felt so sick today, I have a horrible taste in my mouth contstantly, still drinking plenty of water but the thought of eating really makes me feel sick. I had 1 piece of toast and a pancake all day, i even had a lick of a chocolate biscuit and it made me gag. So just lay here in bed all day feeling rather sorry for myself. When I did get up for a wash I felt really dizzy but i suppose with all the drugs and the combination of not eating and lying down all say explains it.

I have noticed as well today I have a tingling sensation on my tounge almost like there is a hair on there weird. Note to self see DR, if its still there in a week or so.

Day 5 4/10 for pain

Day 4 8/10 for pain :'(

Day 5 4/10 for pain :-)

I woke this mornin and swallowed and there was no pain at all util I started to drink some water, Jeeez, It was like swallowing a razor blade but once the whistle was wet it was ok. Swallowing is much easier today still feel really sick and have a vile taste in my mouth, but overall think I'm starting to get better wooohoooo

An update for anyone who is interested?

It is now day 13 and I feel fine. I stopped taking my painkillers on the 10th but continued to take the anti inflammatorys as I am still swollen. I am eating normally even though everything tastes disgusting and only drinking water and thats for the same reason.