Table of Contents
After having kids, your time is not quite your own anymore. The responsibilities of parenthood can include everything from making meals and helping with homework to snuggle time with your kids. Even though you probably treasure the time spent with your kids, it would be nice to carve out a little time for yourself to exercise. But is it possible with a busy schedule, kids and a home to take care of? The answer is yes, if you know how to.
Why Exercise Is Essential For Moms
Most moms put everyone else’s needs before their own. From the time they are pregnant, moms often understand the sacrifices parenting requires. While putting your kids first is great, it should not come at the expense of your health. If you are not healthy, you are unable to be the best mom you can.
Exercise provides several benefits including the following:
- Stress reduction: With all moms are responsible for, it is no wonder they feel stressed. Exercise can be a great stress fighter. When you participate in aerobic exercise, your body releases chemicals that can actually improve your mood. Plus, you may feel like you accomplished something, which also can also make you feel better.
- Helps with weight control: Pregnancy weight gain is not always easy to shed, especially with subsequent pregnancies. Getting regular exercise can help you lose weight after giving birth and also maintain a healthy weight throughout your life.
- Improves energy: Feeling fatigued and sleepy is so common among moms, they may wonder if something is wrong. It may seem like exercise would only make you more tired, but the opposite is true. Exercise can give you more energy and may also improve how well you sleep.
The Benefits Of Exercising At Home
Although long workouts and hours spent at the gym may be a thing of the past when you have young kids, getting regular exercise does not have to be. One of the best ways to still fit exercise into your life as a busy mom is to work out at home. It can take a bit of thought and organization, but fitting fitness in at home can have several benefits.
If you do not already exercise, think about what stops you. It could be time. Moms have a lot going on. Whether you also work outside the home or are a stay a home mom, your days are filled. Finding the time to drive to a gym can be nearly impossible. Depending on where you live, there may not be any close fitness centers. Working out at home saves time by allowing you to skip the drive time to and from the gym. Plus, you never have to worry about waiting for equipment or being late for a fitness class.
Consider some of the other benefits of working out at home:
- Convenience: What can be easier than slipping on a pair of gym shoes and heading to the garage to work out? Convenience is one of the best things about working out at home.
- Money: Although you may spend a bit of money upfront to set up your home gym, it will save you a lot of cash in the long run.
- Privacy: When you work out at home, you never have to worry about the loud talker or the creepy guy next to you. But seriously, being able to work out in the privacy of your home can make exercise more enjoyable.
- You’re a good role model: Your kids will see you taking care of yourself and making exercise a priority. It teaches them the importance of fitness and commitment. What better way to set an example than to get moving?