I am pregnant, but this is unplanned and I do not have time for a child now, so I am planning abortion. I talked to my gyn, and she didn’t mention any side effects, so I am asking You if there are any side effects to abortion.
Thanks!!!

Hey there,
Yes, there are some possible side effects of abortion, although doctors don’t seem to mention it. These side/effects are abdominal pain and cramping, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, spotting and bleeding. Woman might experience these side/effects in 2 weeks after abortion. It is also important to notice, that if bleeding is heavier than normal period, you should immediately call a doctor. Also, if abdominal pain is so severe, that prevents you form standing. You should also call doctor if you’ll have foul smelling discharge or high fever. But, this cases are rare, although by my opinion it is important to know all this…

ABORTION BY pill has those side effects, but surgical abortion rarely if ever causes diahhreah etc...

The anesthesia that puts yu to aleep can cause that yes, but not the aboriton itself. I also work in a clinic...

Infertility, Cervical Laceration, Uncontrollable blood clotting, Severe hemorrhage, Seizures, Coma, Cancer, Death..... those are common side effects (death not so much, but sometimes there are complications).

FYI The side effect listed

are definately not common. There is a risk with any anesthetic, and occasionally there can be an infection after the procedure but if treated quickly then it will not interfere with future fertility. There is absolutely no link to cancer from abortion. If the termination is carried out at a hospital or licenced clinic (not a 'back-yard' set up) then the risk of death is the same as that in any other minor operation ie very very small

This is an old thread, the person was asking for advice on the procedure not your personal view on the topic. In future if you don't have anything constructive and helpful to add to the thread, don't say anything.

I am planning on having an abortion but for resons may could not understand. I am 24 and have recently had cerviclcancer and about two years ago i had ovarian cancer. The daaoctor says that due to the last treatment i had my cervic is to soft N there is a 80% chance f having a miscarriage later in the pregnancy. Many people decide to do this for many reasons... And no one is to judge you nor make comments on your decisions. Side-effects are minimal and if you make this choice just know that not everybody is understanding and that your decision is just that, yours. I say if you do not believe it is the right time for you, than if I knew you I would be right there for you through out the whole thing... best of luck to you in the future.... and with everything.... lots of love me.

EXACTLY! Each person needs to choose for themselves, and people not need to be so judgemental.
NOONE can understand anyones reasons for abortion because we cannot switch bodies with people, so we should just be supportive.

THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY has also stated that abortion does NOT cause cancer.

I went and had an abortion just two weeks ago. No one can judge someone when they havent been in someone elses shoes.

listen ..she came here for an answer for side effects..not for your opinion of her decision...let her do what SHE wants to do! she didn't ask for anyone elses opinion im sure she probably gets that by many people she knows already. i had an abortion and it hurt like hell..i thought i was going to die...but that was me! i suggest surgical! its a lot better...

and for those who want to bash and criticize me ..go right ahead!

I WILL never bash or criticize any woman! I myself have had an abortion, more than 1 actually, and feel it is YOUR choice!

I also work in an baoriton clinic pt, as womens health is my main interest =)

I am sorry people judge you and may say nasty things, but at the end of the day you are the only one who needs to be proud of you!

I support an woman who wants to have an abortion 100%

HI

My name is Lady T and I was once pregnant yes it is true if your willing to have unprotected sex then your willing to face whats next. I was pregnant and I came clean with my family I didnt even try to keep it a secret but the thing that hurted me was my dad made it seem like I messed up his life by pressuring me to get an abortion. I was so scared when I found out myself I'm been under stress for 3months and I still am, the weird thing about it my ex boyfriend had made it seem like everything was going to be alright ( I told him a head of time what was going on so I didn't hide nothing from him) until he called me back like a couple of days and said he wanted me to abort our child.....soon as his parents found out he had a change of heart....... my dad was putting me down about this and that. I'm 19 yes I should have used protection but I didn't yes I layed down and made a baby with someone and I was willing to pay for what I did. The moral to the story my ex started acting like he cared calling me 24/7 asking are you feeding my baby next thing you know it im in the clinic for 5hrs :'( I got the abortion to make my dad happy and I'm beating myself up everyday crying inside, but when i get in front of people I try to cover it up. Ever since i had got the abortion my ex started to cry and I guess showing me how he felt.

When it comes to an abortion there are side affects it all depends on your body re-acts, now the bad thing about it now that all this has happen I want a baby :'( So i sit there doing what I have to do for myself going to college and looking for a job and being single ...........EVERYBODY NEEDS TO USE PROTECTION NO MATTER WHAT THE CASE MAY BE.....IF A GUY DOSESN'T WANT TO USE A CONDOM WITH YOU ITS NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!

Take into consideration the psychological side effects as well. I made a decision to have an abortion, recently I might add, and I have not had a slow or bad recovery at all. The physical side effects have been covered by the educated replies in the forum. You won't know exactly what side effects you will have, but it doesn't hurt to ask the counselors, nurses, and doctor that you will meet in this time of need. These are the people that will know best. Best of luck to you.

I am in agreement with another post that this forum is to be helpful and non-judgemental at all times.
The posts concerning both physical and psychological factors are correct and we shoul be here to support each when a member or guest has an abortion and requires help.
Thanks to hygenic, modern medicine etc..., side effects (physical) of abortion have become much more safe. Clinics are more than willing to answer questions and I believe more qualified to answer as they deal with the matter of abortion daily. Some side effects that are normal are cramping, bleeding (can be right from the start or occur wks after), achiness, fatigue etc... We have to remeber that for the first little while the body is changing from being pregnant to not being pregnant. Depending on how far along the pregnancy was is also a factor to take into consideration. Bad side side effects, include high fever = infections, going through a series of sanitary napkins in an hour etc... These all require immediate medical attention. These clinics forwarn of all this with proper documentation before the actual abortion occurs. As well as providing "what to do if" or "what to expect" for home after care. Basically, no woman goes into the procedure with eyes closed. As well, the procedure does not affect the potential for future pregnancies.
Psychologically, some clinics have counsellors available that you must sit down and speak with on the day of. This meeting is a time for a woman to sit and take and ensure the procedure is what she or she and her partner wants. Psychological care afterwards may require professional assitance and it is nothing to be ashamed of. As a counsellor myself, women coming out of the procedure require a supportive environment and if that is not possible at home (from spouse, family, etc...), depression, stemming from sense of loss, guilt, low-self esteem, etc... result. Whether the woman wanted the child and was pressured from the outside or whether she herself made the decision, she still has feelings, thoughts and emotions that are better shared than bottled up and does not deserve to be judged. These feelings are normal and expected, regardless of how the decision was made.

Hey,
I believe that it is totally the persons choice who is making it. No one else should be judging about someone who is making that choice. Just because you don't believe in it NOW doesn't mean that it might not end up happening to you and you'll be on the other side of the stick! Trust me on that one, I'm 15 and just got an abortion, I did not tell my parents nor did I tell many of my friends only the really trust worthy and close ones. Thank god they understoud and drive me down to get it done but like I said no one should judge a person thats making the dicision because one day that might be you doing it and also you trully DO NOT KNOW HOW HARD OF A DECISION IT IS!! frig it almost kills me every day thinking about it. So if you haven't been on that end of it don't talk because really you can not understand what any of these women go through day in and day out! Nor do you understand what it is like to have to go through that and live with it.
Thanks

GUEST* YOU are not a bad person, and thank you for sharing this deeply personal story with us.