It's great to find out its not just me,however everyone stays to concentrate on the right and left side this depends on is it a front or back view!!!!!!! I'm not fully diagnosed yet but I'm going for an ultra sound hopefully this week,I've lived with this for the past 13 months and I thought I had torn a muscle or damaged the cartiledge that joins the rib bone to the sternum (this was my diagnosis) after research,but now I have been told by the doc she suspects gall stones, NOW my pain is ,IF YOU SRE LOOKING AT ME on YOUR right hand side under the bottom rib which at worst radiates pain across my stomach and back and I swear the best pain relief I have is 8/500 cocodomal and diclofenic tabs along with a COLD ice pack I hope it's not another complaint I have ,but I feel I'm nearly at the source of it

Get in a hot shower. If you are transmitting the sensations from the water, you are unable to transmit as many pain sensations.

I have been having symptoms of this for about a year, and have been to the emergency room 4 times for the pain, only today was I given an ultrasound after having a severe attack at 6am and getting to the hospital via ambulance. The healthcare system here in the US is terrible - you go in for extreme upper right abdominal pain and all they would do prior to today was diagnose me with 'abdominal pain' - NO KIDDING, that's what I went in for. But they're only 'obligated' to give you the least amount of care needed to make sure you aren't going to drop dead at that moment and send you on your way. I finally got an ER doctor today that believed my symptoms and ordered an ultrasound on the spot; I didn't have to wait for it or schedule it for later. Not just GERD or 'abdominal pain' (what a load) yep, I actually have something wrong with me! I hate going in to the hospital on an emergency basis for this stuff because they treat you like you're a drug seeker, and don't take your symptoms as something that's serious most of the time. Doctor gave me a referral to a surgeon, said I have 'hundreds' of stones and suggested I have surgery to remove it. Now I FINALLY have a name for this horrific pain, which is a relief. The pain gets so bad for HOURS or days, and the after effect of it leaves my insides feeling like they're raw. TERRIBLE pain, and I've had abdominal surgery for a bleeding ulcer before. THAT was the worst pain of my life, and this is vying for the top spot on the pain scale. Ugh, I'm glad I found this site with so many suggestions about how to relieve pain, I am going to try some of them when this comes back (as I know it will).

Just thought id tell people what works for me., i have try' d stuff like putting a hot water  bottle on my stomach but that does not work for me it makes me feel sick, laying on my left side..  didn't work  laying with a hot water bottle on my left shoulder disk helped a little but  what i found is if i get in a nice hot shower with the water going down my shoulder blades  after taking 2-3 ibuprofen or pain killers it ease's then what i do is run the bath with hot water whilst im letting the shower do its magic  then slowly move down in to it.. then i lay in the bath with my legs bent and normally by this time im tired so i fall asleep in the bath,when i wake up most of the pain is gone aslong as i dont move to quick or stretch i can slowly get to my bed and fall back to sleep and wake up nice and relieved  of pain i understand some people might think this is dangerous but im just giving my methods,

i hope this helps people like it does for me i know the pain can be soo tiresome, my biggest tip would be try not to move much or stretch even when the pain has started to go if you stretch it can bring it right back,  good luck

i have been dealing with these attacks for almost 5 yrs now.having no health insurance so surgery isnt an option for me at this point,i currently take zantac (ranitidine) 150 mg  x 2 a day it helps alot.hope this helps i know id rather deliver twins with no pain meds than deal with the pain sometimes.good luck

My husband and i both have gallstones and our diet and lifestyle is to blame. been having occasional attacks for years now. Im covered by insurance but surgery remains my last option. I have had episodes of being rushed to the ER and being given shots of cocktails of ranitidine, buscopan and ketorolac. It gives me releif until i doze myself to sleep. but since i realize that taking these drugs might not be that good, might give side effects, i looked for ways on how to relieve the pain, there were times that ive been rushed to the hospital and instead of heading straight to the ER, i seek refuge from the nearest spa i find, getting a swedish massage instead, which is sooo releiving .Other ways i find effective would be proper breathing while having an attack, long deep and consistent breathing from the stomach, not from the chest. also i try my best to keep myself hydrated while having an attack, taking sips of gatorade. iv also tried searching on the web hand reflexology and accupressure for the gallbladder, tried it during an attack and it seems it helped me out manage the pain. Also, i looked up reflexology for sleep points on the foot and wrists, this i find very effective with my husband, and instead of whimpering and fidgeting in pain would doze off within maximum of 30mins. Maybe conditioning of the brain would help in pain management. Hope these work for you. 

Hit the hot tub. I require 30 mins at 103 and it will stop the attack. It took me nine years and 4 ER visits to figure this out....also do not over eat and no super spicy peppers!

I have had gall stone attacks on and off for 3 years now. It runs in my family and my parents and grandparents all had their gallbladder removed. Right now I was just on the onset of an attack but I read that drinking apple cidar vinegar takes away the pain. I have had at least a cup by now and my pain has subsided. I actually diluted some of it at first, but it is more effective if you drink it straight. It tastes awful but it beats them taking out one of your organs. I'm going to keep sipping it without eating for the rest of today just to be sure it is gone.

I'm only 21 & I've had an attack every few days for about 3 weeks. I've not been diagnosed yet but my pain is so bad I can't walk or talk properly, lasts about 2-4 hrs & I've thrown up every time, which usually stops the pain within 30 mins.

This would be great to know, I had the worst attack ever last night, 6 hours of extreme pain along with vomiting. I have an appointment with a surgeon on Aug 1, 2013 but after last night I don't think I can wait that long. The longest they latest before was a little over an hour. Never experienced anything like I did last night, I live alone which is even scarier for me. I can not find a position that works best, I managed to curl up in a ball face down for a while and that seemed to ease it a bit but once my legs went numb and my knees ached I knew I had to move. I eat clean, have lost 60 lbs, have never taken such good care of myself as I have the past year. Seems since the fat started coming off I started to fall apart...lol. Any tips to help me get through attacks until I can have it removed would be greatly appreciated. Advil didn't work for me :(.

HOT HOT shower or bath is the best thing and then i put an object {remote control, hard softball} under my ribcage and push fairly hard on it w/a heating pad on my back and try to stay as still as possible. Lately, i have found that if i make myself sick and get everything out of my system it subsides a lot faster.

i had been having gallbladder pain for 7 years and finally it got so bad i went to the hospital because nothing was working.. but they wouldn't take it out since i did not have insurance but luckily i love pickles and pickle juice i no it sounds weird but since that happened i drink a little pickle juice everyday and eat the pickle's and if i skip a few days and eat greasy foods i can feel the pain starting to some back! thats how i no it works for me anyways but for 6 months now i have not had any pain and i was having pain at least once a week.. glad that i didnt have to have surgery too.. hope this helps someone else just thought i would share :)

I've been on a hospital waiting list for over a year, when I have a "kill me now" Gall Bladder attack I call an ambulance the medics fill me with Morphine and take me to hospital where I get all the tests necessary to confirm there is no major complication, I then get even more pain killers and sent home till the next time. Eventually my name will come up and I will get my Gall Bladder removed.

I've tried diets, flushers and much more to no avail.

Thank god I live in a country where it's free too.

Thought I Would share my story. I went mis diagnosed for over a year  and was on ulcer meDs. After the ultra sound #2 we found the stones.  Read all the forums, tried the flushes, no luck. Had surgery Friday and all went well. What helped when I had pain?

in the morning I ate oats for breakfast. A very small lunch where i took papaya enzimes.  Lots of water, organic apple vinegar with apple juice at night. Before early light bland dinner, take more papaya enzymes and magnesium tablet. Don't eat after 8pm. Get off the ulcer meds you don't have an ulcer. Vinegar will do the trick. Not all stones pass and mine did not after 3 months of diligently trying. When attacks hit hot tub or floating tub is the best remedy till it passes. Use your breathing and try to relax the facial muscles. Perocet when needed is the best for intense pain and at less then $20 for a month supply is a great carry over until I saved enough for surgery.

I had no medical insurance and heard the horror stories of $12-15k for surgery. I live in SanDiego which is not a cheap place for treatment. The surgeon pre op was $175. The pre op test were $400(I was over 50 so mandatory).the great private surgery center which I can only say was anything beyond a hospital visit was $2400. The surgeon was $970, and the anesthesiologist was $275. If I had med insurance my co pays would still be more then this with the high deductible. I would have preferred to keep the gallbladder, but feel much better now and no regrets. Had mashed potatoes with gravy, hard boiled egg, and more oats yesterday, no problems. I'm ramping up,for the double double animal style burger at In and Out tomorrow. Will,stay on the vinegar, papaya tabs and the magnesium tabs for immediate future. a balanced diet should serve me well. Good luck to all.

IBUPROFEN works very well for me.  I used two tablets of Advil 200 mg each (or one of Motrin 400 mg) and it worked each time.  Also to avoid attacks, I avoid eating chocolate, cheese and other fatty food.

Paul,

Ottawa, Canada