Well, I just survived a gallbladder attack again. I did the Ibuprofen,very hot shower both front and back,but with a little twist. After I got out of the shower,my wife massaged my mid-center back and under the right rib-cage with our percussion massager. The pain subsided in about ten minutes. I feel sooooooooo much better now. My pain was an all day long thing today. I'm glad this did the trick for me,maybe someone else will benefit from this.

Gall bladder do explode... Mine did.

Liver stones attacked my gall bladder and it explode.

VERY VERY PAINFUL...got many double shots of morphins .... worst feeling in my life.

This was in december 2011.

BUT.... After it was removed..I had no problem.

I've been eating like anyone else 2 weeks later...  I don't see much of a difference. You need to be logical but nothing to go crazy and worry about.... You can live super good and eat mostly everything..... Indigestion ...when they hit...gets you harder but nothing more than that.

They use to open you up pretty good...now it's all done with tubes etc.... they make 2 on the side, one in middle and they pull the gall bladder throught your belly button (yep, gross) but that's 200% true.... You're asleep anyway lol... thank god!

The recovery's around 3-4 weeks depending what you do for a living... I'm a security officer so it took longer.

So don't worry... 

I eat everything...i train 6 days a week and do martial arts twice a week... also fight thieves so.. lol i'm not that bad even without a gall bladder.

Take care all 

Ps: MAJOR MAJOR PAIN on left side... could be it... go and check it out...yes surgery is simple and easy to do BUT.... if you wait....you WILL DIE from intoxication poisoning yourself from the inside.... not kidding here... i was close myself...very close.

I'm an auto mechanic and I returned to work in 2 weeks

i got myself to AE and they did blood tests that showed my liver function wasnt right. I t was so painful in the end
i think the nurses gave me something to put me to sleep so the other patients wouldnt have to put up with my moaning. Eventually it was removed and the surgeon said it was gangrenous and a rotting piece of meat. i think something like 10% of people die from it as the bile leaking can infect all your organs in the end. SO I guess I am lucky i did the right thing. I feel SO MUCH BETTER no fever or tiredness etc.

well, last tuesday night I had the mother of all attacks, started (as usual) in the back and radiated to the ribs on my right side.  The pain was beyond excruciating!

I took 3 endone tablets over the space of the next 90 minutes and even these weren't alleviating the pain, although with all morphine, it causes nausea and I was throwing up all over the place.

In the end my wife called an ambulance and off I went to the ER.  I was there for 6hrs.  They gave me more morphine, which didn't do anything other than make me really nauseous, and they took blood and did x-rays.

after writhing in pain for 6hrs, the pain eventually subsided and I was discharged with a prescription for buscopan, which is a muscle relaxant.  Apparently this is a much better medication to use than morphine as the pain from gallstones is caused by muscle spasms which then affect the nerves around the gallbladder area.  Buscopan relaxes those muscles and the pain subsides.  And it works! 

But, I am now having daily attacks and obviously I can't be taking buscopan for ever.  The health system here in Australia is quite bad, in terms of waiting times, and the doctor tells me that I could be waiting anything up to a year for the operation to remove my gallbladder, even if I went to the ER every night.

That is frustrating to me to say the least as I cannot sleep most nights and I'm like a zombie during the day, so it is affecting my daily life now.

The sooner I can get the gallbladder removed, the better.  I just have to play the waiting game, it seems. :(

well, here's an update to my earlier post.  I went to my doctor again today in order to get her to give me a referral to the hospital, to be put on the waiting list.

she informed me that her earlier assessment of waiting times was wrong, that its actually 4 to 6 years waiting time!! This is because the government has banned all elective surgery operations here, to save money. 

Because I am originally from Northern Ireland, she told me that I should seriously consider leaving Australia and going back home and having the surgery there (which ranges from 13-30weeks average wait).

I was informed that the only way that I will get in for immediate surgery, is for my gall bladder to burst, which is a life threatening situation.  I'm not willing to go for that option so will be leaving Australia (after 11yrs of living here) to go home.

It's a very sad situation, but the gall bladder issue is making my daily life very miserable now and I cannot afford to stay in this country due to the health system in place. :(

yes that is what has happens to me too... I go to the emerge, they stick me with an iv (which I am deathly terrified of) and then send me home. I have been having attacks day and night for 9 days in a row now, i have tried to eat the so called safe foods i have seen listed on the internet, but something as simple as a plain bagel with nothing on it is giving me attacks... I am constantly missing work, because your body is wipped out after a 4-5 hr long attack, and you need to sleep it off. I have been wating for surgury for 4 months and no one can tell me anything as to how much longer I will be waiting. sometimes being in northern canada really sucks. hot bath helps, and I know there are sites that tell you to avoid carbonated beverages, but I have found that all carbonated beverages EXCEPT for A and W Rootbeer give me grief. Something about the rootbeer gives you just that little bit more of a gas releasing burp, and its thick creamieness seem to help sooth the tummy. this doesn't always work, but i found if I drink the rootbeer while eating I am less likely to have an attack. I think my gallstones have gotten worse now, because the rootbeer is no longer helping me and the attacks are coming from everything I eat. I have been perscribed buscopan and it, along with ibuprofren seem to help. also too try to do the labour breathing, it really helps... take long deap breaths in the nose and out of the mouth try not to breath sparatically, because it makes the stomach spasm even more. I have learned all of these tips from the women in my family as they have all had gallbladder surgery (which none of them have had issues with afterwards) and I hope this helps you out, as it has been helping me out. I am learning that the more you go to the hospital, the more they see the seriousness of your problem and push you through to surgery soon.

Make sure you are drinking lots of water. Keep drinking it even when you think you're stomach is swimming in water. You need to flush the fat out of your gall bladder. Doing this and taking 3 ibuprophen helps me EVERY time. Watch what you eat...High fat foods irritate the issue making the stones move...causing the pain. Try laying on your left side to help your gall bladder drain.

Hello, firstly, the British NHS may have it's problems but after reading reports of year long waits in Aus and 'Can't afford it' No Med insurance in America, THANK GOD FOR THE NHS in UK.   I suddenly suffered severe abdominal pain for over 5 hours while on holiday in USA in January 2013 and ended up in emergency room of local hospital. They did blood tests but no Ultrasound, gave me intravenous medication that gave me immediate relief. Then discharged me with prescription of Oxycodone-Acetaminophen, I know this medication can become addictive and leaves me a zombie, but I only take them when an attack starts and they stop the pain in 30 mins and as there was usually quite a number of days between attacks, I'm not getting addicted. The hospital never identified the cause of my pain. When I got home to UK in February my GP sent me for Ultrasound and they found gallstones. They said I needed the gallbladder removed and to expect a 6-8 week wait for the key hole surgery. I've been controlling the attacks with diet, however, I just had an attack and immediately took 2 of the Oxycodone-Acetaminophen tablets the US hospital gave me and the pain stopped in 30 mins.  I'm giddy and sleepy and I know I'm going to be a zombie for next 24hours and just want to sleep, but for me this is preferable to the pain.  I've had a virtually fat free diet for last 2 months and this morning I only had my usual porridge with cinnamon, sultanas and honey.  Then I thought I'd try a coffee (bad move) within the hour the attack started.  So what works for me is nothing fatty or spicy, no coffee and as soon as an attack starts take the Oxycodone-Acetaminophen.  I decided managing the side effects (if I get them) of gallbladder removal is preferable to the gallstone attacks.  I really feel for people who have attacks and can't take medication for relief.

I'm 28, male, and this is my second attack. My first was three months ago an lasted eight hours starting around midnight. I wanted to literally kill myself, and googled for two hours in a panic trying to figure out what was wrong with me. This time I has some Ibuprofen ready, a heating pad, and a long shower with the water as hot as I could stand hitting me right between the shoulder blades. It's a dream compared to last time. I ate horrible greasy fried food both times. I apparently hadn't learned my lesson.

Rory, I have done the same thing so many times ( I'm 36 by the way, my first attack was at age 26) Eaten a high fat meal and then a few hours later suffered a bad gall bladder attack. I think most people tend to have this happen at night, usually because they have eaten poorly all day long and then eaten a big, highly fattening, greasy meal late in the evening. When it happens to me, a few hours after I have eaten badly, I will start to feel the back ache in the middle of my back. Now that this has been happening to me for the last 10 years, I have started to learn what to do when I think I am about to have one. I break out the ibuprophen and drink lots of water. When I do this it makes the attack go away and I don't have to deal with the severe pain that I had before. Oh, and I tried eating really healthy after an attack a few years back, so I decided to eat salads thinking I was doing the right thing...apparently lettuce tends to upset a gall bladder too for some people. I think you have to find out what sets it off and try to avoid it. My mother had her gall bladder romoved in 2006 and she had dealt with problems for years. She had a gall stone the size of a golf ball in there. Every time she ate buttery popcorn she would have a gall bladder attack. It took her a long time to learn she couldn't eat it because it would just happen again.

I am Australian and suffering gallbladder attacks for almost a year now....first one I had in July last year was after my mother-in-law made me a special meal just for me....I thought she'd poisoned me. I have had 4 children naturally, torn my knee and ruptured discs in my back...nothing compares to the pain of the gallbladder. last visit to emergency the ultrasound showed that I had a 'bag of jaggered marbles' ranging upto 3cm. I have to wait for elective surgery but was told that may be 5/6 MONTHS away NOT years. They will do it sooner if infected. after years of pregnancies and miscarriages 4 children under 10 I stopped taking care of myself and not watching what I ate and carrying a few extra kilos plus turning 40 they told me it is common. I just think god it wasn't pancreatic cancer....which is a consequence of NOT doing something about your gallbladder disease. so I try to eat healthier now....I have trouble with ZERO fat which my GP advised. found out Miso soup with upon noodles or rice is good. porridge without milk when I am starving. organic cloudy apple juice and grapes for sweet cravings. Nori rolls and steamed prawn/ chicken balls are tasty but don't irritate an attack. I hope I lose weight from this and regain a healthier life for me and my kids. by the way, does anyone else experience extreme tiredness before an attack?

I am due to have my ultrasound on Friday but am pretty sure that I have gallstones as my attacks sure fit the profile. In addition my sister, Aunt and Grandmother had them and had to have gallbladder operations. My sister had hers out at 33 and I had 2 other friends who had their gallbladders out at the same time. They were all slim and healthy, one vegan and one pretty much vegetarian. So the bad eating doesnt always apply. My doctor told me that the condition is genetic which makes more sense.

I am Australian and know that there is a long wait for gall bladder surgery as it is classed as "elective", although obviously that is better than in America where it depends on wealth and medical cover. I am going to try some of the above hints but I am not afraid of the surgery, as I have seen those people who have had it go on to lead normal lives.

I shall definitely go to emergency if the pain gets bad enough though! Sounds like at least it is a way to get adequate pain killers. One thing about Australia is that it is hard to get anything other than panadol-even after surgery that is what you are given. Good luck to everyone else on here!

Hi gall suffers, i have recently been doctors and told i have 8 gallstones i am aged 22 and receny had a baby girl (3months old)my advice given by the doctors is to avoid red meat, high fatty foods, he said to eat only fruit, veg, fish, turkey, chicken, and low fat sauces, plenty of water 8 pints a day until i have mine removed next month,
i know what all you go through and its like the first stage of labour pains (yes men thats only the start it gets worse :( )
My advice given is to lay on your left side as the acids in your stomach pool which is relief, hot baths/showers as hot as you can take them, hot drink (not cold as this irritates the stomach) paracetimol X2 if you have anything stronger like ibrofen or co-codimal ect take the highest pain relief,
The signs of an attack are back ache in top right hand side, stomach ache, pain in between right ribs, headache, vomiting, sensation to go the toilet, now as soon as you feel it coming on wait 20 mins then take pain relief as it has a better effect, also if you do eat/drink something that flares up the gallbladder then usual estimated time an attack is 3-4 hours after eating so prepared your self one to come run a bath/shower get the meds out ect...
Basically gallstones block the bile from coming out of the tube down into your stomach everytime you eat or drink which flares up the gallbladder which causes pain as when the stones move or rub it causes the pain as you need bile to break down fatty foods ect... hope ive helped and i know what you go through good luck x

I sip on vingar it helps mine I do this three times a day about 3 tablespoons each time!!!!