When should I go to ER? In pain for 6 hours now, I dont want to call 911, but this pain is killing me!! This is my fourth attack since august this year....

Mine usually last 4-8 hrs. The worst pain ever! I have yet to go to the ER bc I'm afraid of the outcome and I don't think i can wait patiently in the ER. Not sure what they do for you for the pain in the ER.....the hot water helps ease the pain the most for me....hope it's over soon for you!

What is helping me right now (other than narcotics): ibuprofin and hot showers.

I had my first attack a few days ago--incredible (9/10) stabbing pain under my right ribcage and extreme nausea. After suffering 6 hrs I went to the ER. I recommend to anyone who thinks this is happening to go straight to the hospital for a clear diagnosis and some relief--in extreme cases a gallbladder attack can be dangerous so you don't want to mess around.

When I got to the ER they were quick to give me some help (iv drip of fluids for dehydration + pain meds + antiemetic). It was such a relief. Next they did an ultrasound that confirmed several large, jaggedy stones. I was given a choice to be admitted and have surgery the next day, or go home and schedule outpatient surgery for a later time. I hadn't had time to wrap my head around getting my gallbladder removed or research it at all so I went home with 2 prescriptions for a few percocets (for pain) and a few zofrans (for nausea).

Unfortunately the first available appt for a surgical consultation is 2 weeks away and I've already taken a couple of the percocets for nighttime pain. The pain hasn't been as severe as the initial attack (6-7/10) and the nausea hasn't come back but I dread that it will. Luckily I've found that a combination of a hot shower and ibuprofin makes the abdominal and shoulder pain a lot more bearable (3/4-10). Even if I had enough percocet to last 2 weeks I can't go around looped all the time anyway. Based on info here, next I'm going to try laying on a pillow on my left side with a heating pad, and alternatively sitting in a straight chair with my arms rasied over my head.

In the meantime I'm going to be very careful to eat a low fat-diet because I do believe my attack was precipitated by eating a rich, fat-laden meal at a family celebration. Normally I eat a low-fat vegan diet and I believe suddenly putting fatty food into my system caused my gallbladder to have a hissie fit, contracting around the stones that were already in there. I've lost a lot of weight in the last year, and significant weight loss often causes stones to develop. I'm not saying this is true for everyone--it seems like people of all ages and fitness levels can get gallstones but weight fluctuations are a contributing factor for some. Heredity is probably the most common factor and I have that too.

Anyway, if you are experiencing this, I feel your pain, literally. Get medical help and insist on an ultrasound to get a clear look at what's going on in there. They do have medications that will take the pain and nausea away. Personally I'm still not convinced that surgery is the best answer, yet I can't keep going through this indefinitely either.

I have 5mm sludge in gall bladder and from one month I am getting attacks on the right side of my stomach.Doctor suggested of removal of gall bladder.But I am not ready for it.From the last week I am eating and drinking fruits and vegetable juices(pure natural ones).When I am doing this there is no pain.If I eat little rice like that than I am able to feel slight discomfort again on right side of stomach.

I want to know regarding gall bladder cleansing.Could anyone tell me what is the procedure and at what time and how many times it should be performed?

Any exercises or natural remedies are also appreciated

I've been having gallbladder pain since March 2012, I turned 21 in April, it is now December and I still have pain. So yes there are people around your age! I saw another person a few posts up who is 18 years old. I think it can almost affect any age group- I’m thinking 18 and up anyone can get it.

I have worries about my wife she was diagnosed a couple of years back but had no nearly symptoms,But this year they are increasing and in the past five weeks has had four attacks. Some last hours and the most of them seem to last days,she has been sent to the local hospital twice in the past five weeks.

The latest being two days ago and they gave her a lot of pain relief before letting her go, She is still in bed two days later and taking pain relief,They told me to get her GP to write a referral urgently to the hospital but he is on holidays for ten days(naturally).

I asked what are the bad signs to look out for but was told none,I am really concerned a we live in a rural location and the closest hospital is over an hour away.

She has not eaten much apart from a spoon full of ice cream.

I feel like the problem has been dumped in my lap and don't know what to do,surly no one should be sick and in pain for this long at home?

John

The best way to pinpoint what the bad signs are is to discuss with your wife everything she goes through when she has an attack.

For example, the whole process for me starts at least one day before the actual attack. I get extremely exhausted regardless of what activities I do or how much sleep I get. Then about 24 hours later, usually at night for me, is when I start getting really bloated and having a slight poking pain under my right shoulder blade. That steadily gets worse then progresses to having a pain under my right rib cage like someone is squeezing it and stabbing a hot poker through to my back. That continues to worsen and turns to extreme nausea, then violent vomiting and diarrhea. Mine last anywhere from 4-10 hours depending on the severity.

But then my aunt and grandfather, who both had gallbladder disease, had very different, less violent symptoms. Their's consisted of basically heartburn, indigestion, and burping up bile; no extreme pain, vomiting, OR diarrhea. The best thing to do is to discuss with your wife when she starts to feel kind of funky like something's going to happen. Have her really think about all the steps leading up to the attack, how she felt, etc. She would know better than anyone else how her attacks start and feel. The next time she starts feeling the first symptom, be prepared so you could hopefully get to the hospital in time.

I just want to say I think I am having one right now.  For a minute I thought Jesus was calling me back home.  Thanks for the tips, I am off to a hot shower.

Get the surgery my wife nearly died not long after that post,The gallbladder was narcotic(dead) inside her causing a massive infection.

GINGER GINGER GINGER... I NEVER LEAVE HOME W/O IT!!!   Relief comes within 15-20 minutes - i take 3-6 capsules at once, depending on how nauseas i already am...].   i have saved myself from surgery with ginger alone [i also eat LOts of Ginger with my Sushi - as often as possible..!] Another thing that took @ 47 yrs for me to figure out - is - to stay away from Olive oil if it has been significantly heated - it cOUld almost kiLL you..! [Heat changes its molecular structure so as to make it UNdigestable to those of us with a "sensitive Gall Bladder Condition"...   [ Most oils for that matter are a problem, for us, when heated]

i sincerely hope this helps you..!

I had to deal with gallbladder pain for a long time and I found that sitting propped up with a heating pad on my chest helped. I can't make myself burp but I always felt like burping helped.

I'm having an attack RIGHT NOW and this is what I am doing. It has helped me a lot.

I have been drinking apple cider vinegar in hot water as a tea for years now for gallbladder attacks and 95% of the time it really helps or takes it completely away! I have recently found that a supplement called Cholacol by Standard Process helps to take 2 every time I eat. I went out to lunch and didn't bring my Cholacol...now here I am with a painful gallbladder attack, sipping on my cider vinegar tea and waiting. I would rather have a hot spike up my behind!

I have a lot less attacks since I removed dairy products and deep fried foods....I also had a food allergy blood test and it seems when I eat a food that is high on my sensitivity chart (like lunch today), it can spur an attack.

I too am having an attack - it started a week ago and every day since then ive been in pain. The gallbladder area itself is tender to say the least and so far only ibuprofen & co-codamol have had any effect (but doesn't take pain away entirely). today ive survived on rice cakes & water in a bid to eliminate any irritants. I did take some cider vinegar today but im still sore.

I will try some of the other suggestions tomorrow. ..

ps ive seen my GP & had bloods back confirming theres no inflammation or infection.

I'm on my 3rd day of a series of gall bladder attacks, and am finding Ibuprofen is the best help - Tylenol and Aspirin does nothing for it. When the pain gets most severe, I find that putting a ziploc bag of ice directly where the pain is centered (for me, right under my right ribs) for about 15 minutes and then taking a hot shower as hot as I can stand it and letting that water hit where it's hurting for 5-10 minutes and then alternating until it eases up is the best thing I can do. When the pain is building (it almost feels like gas or like my stomach is upset), I take the Ibuprofen right away so that I take some of the edge off the most severe pain when it finally kicks in. For some reason, walking seems to help keep the pain at bay for awhile - not sure if the movement is helping the stone pass or what, but it does give some relief. Raising my right hand over my head also helps a bit, but maybe that's more psychological than anything else. 

From previous bouts with kidney stones over the past 10 years or so, I also have a breathing technique that is very similar to what my wife would do during labor - the whole 2 short breaths in and out and 1 long breath in and out and then repeat over and over - really helped. Maybe it's keeping the mind off the pain or something, but I would focus on breathing and it let me tolerate the pain. Tolerate is a relative word, by the way, since many of these attacks would have me nearly screaming in pain. 

I say a prayer every night for people having a kidney stone or gallbladder stone attack. There is no pain like it in the world. I hope you all get relief from the pain you're enduring.