Can anyone suggest pain relief OTHER than apple cider vinegar? I've tried it and it does nothing for me, other than make me want to vomit from the awful taste. Has anyone tried it in pill form?

I've been looking all over the 'net and can only find ACV for pain relief (heating pads and hot showers/baths too) and need some other suggestions besides that and narcotics. I went to the ER on Jan 3rd for a severe attack (up until then I thought it was maybe heartburn) and was told I have an 8mm stone stuck in the neck of the gallbladder. No sign of enlargement, no infection in the gallbladder, liver or pancreas. I will not have surgery! My father had it and it led to digestion problems for the rest of his life.

They gave me Morphine in the ER, and it didn't help. I can't take the heavy-duties (Demerol, Vicodin, Percoset) because they make me vomit. They sent me home with Tylenol 3. It was bad enough last night to take one and it didn't touch it. This attack has been going on since Wednesday night. :-(

I'm not quite sure what brought this attack on. I don't eat fried foods, haven't had anything fatty this week. Last week I felt so good I ate pizza (no pain) and homemade chili (no pain) and that was over a week ago. I think it may have been a cookie, but I'm not sure.

I'm not vomiting, no fever, jaundice or other signs of infection. Just constant pain. I'd guzzle that awful ACV by the gallon if it helped, but it hasn't done anything for me but make me nauseous.

Anyone else have no luck with ACV and found something else? Please help!!

Jillian, I hate to be a party pooper, but cleanses don't work. If they did an ultrasound would show you had no more stones, and you do, that's why you are still having attacks.

Nobody wants to have an operation, but at the moment it's the most effective treatment for gallstones.. It is not true that people who have had their gallbladders removed continue to have problems. Only 10% of people have longstanding problems. Of the remaining 90% only 40% have some problems if they eat badly. That means 50% are COMPLETELY CURED by surgery, and most of the others are too if they eat a healthy diet.

For many people, like myself, weekly gallbladder attacks are not an option. Some of us are very sick with the illness and the operation offers respite, so please stick to facts.

Forgive me, but how do you know? Unless you are having ultrasounds to show the stones are dissolving, it's not working. All that is happening is you a enot having attacks currently. This does not mean they are cured or you will never have them again; it could be nothing but coincidence and proves nothing. Apple juice and cider vinegar do not dissolve stones; if they did there would be no more need for surgery, but there is.

I am 62 and had my gall bladder removed at twenty four, I have suffered with diarrhea and constipation, upset stomach and a whole slew of effects from this...listen up....if a cup of bloody tea helps, do it!

turmeric is said to be an irritant to the gall bladder.

I heard that tumeric is an irritant to the gall bladder

Did they tell you in the ER to get it out? Did they want to do surgery for the stone and you said no? I have tried Vicodin and other less potent pain meds several times and nothing in a pill has touched the pain. I don't care what anyone says, each case is different and many are the same. I have had attacks 2 1/2 yrs and have carefully monitored food intake and neither greasy or spicy bother me at all. Nuts & coconut {I think} do bother me..I have had neither for 6 months..but i still have attacks. I swear I think, sometimes, when I get too full it brings on an attack..?? I have been drinking the yucky apple cider vinegar, cause i know it's "good for me" either way and water w/lemon and pure apple juice..again, cause it;s good for my insides. I want to try a muscle relaxer, bc I have heard that works for some bc it relaxes your tensed up muscles, but I have yet to cause i don't have any laying around. lol The other things I have wrote down that have helped others are acidopholis, Kratom Powder and Todorol. I have yet to try any of those and don't a reason as to why not...I need to get on that...good luck!

I have gallstones also I have attacks every other night .. I Rarely get sleep :( but it seems to help to get in the bathtub with hot as I can stand water but that don't cut it I have tried the heating pad that dosnt work either i have been told that i need surgery but i cant afford it i do not have insurance ... but my doctor gives me Hydrocodones for the pain and most the time that dosnt help and every time i go to the ER the doctors look at me crazy what can i do to fix this ?

I had an attack last night for the first time in a couple of years. I tend to have one a year, or every couple of years. I knew it as soon as I felt the familiar back pain start to set in. By the way, I ate horribly yesterday...high fat foods, snack foods...ughh. I knew it was happening. The doctor told me after my first attack in 2003 that taking ibuprophen ( I take 3 - 200 mg tablets), and drinking water to help flush the fat out of your gall bladder will help the attack. It works every time for me within 30-40 minutes of taking the ibuprophen. I drink a BUNCH of water, even though it feels like it is about to come back up. Heating pad and hot shower/bath helps with the pain, and I believe he told my to lay on my left(?) side to help the gall bladder drain (gall bladder is on your right side) Also, just an FYI, the doctor did not recommend that I use this as a permanent treatment, he said it needed to be removed immediately, but I still haven't done it.

Drinking a large glass of water when the pain begins to crescendo has stopped the attack 2 times for me!  Amazing but thank God it worked. Scheduled to have it out in 4 days.

I am 23 and experiencing this. My aunt had the same issues when she was 20.

I'm 38 and a few days ago I was woken in the middle of the night with a very dull and excruciating pain in between my shoulder blades which radiated to the right side of my body to the front of my chest.  The pain was so bad I was rolling on the floor and pulling every position imaginable to try and gain relief.  I took two ibuprofen which did nothing for me at all.  4hrs later the pain subsided to the point where I could lie down again.  I went to my doctor a few hours later who sent me for an urgent CT scan.  They found calcification around the neck of my gall bladder which is suspicious of a gallstone.

my doctor gave me endone and told me to get to the hospital if and when it happened again.

well, at 3am this morning, the pain returned, with a vengeance!  We called the hospital and they told us that they would only give us pain relief (morphine) and send me home again, so my partner, who is a nurse, told me to take one endone, but after 50 minutes it had done very little.  I took another endone and it knocked me out and when I awoke, some 5hrs later, the pain had subsided.

I did find that taking a hot shower relieved the pain in my back, but when you step out of the shower, the pain returns :(

it seems, for me at least, that the pain comes during the night when I'm sleeping.  If there is a 'worst' time for this to happen, it would have to be when one is trying to sleep!

I like to think I have a high pain threshold, but I have never experienced pain such as this and I can definitely relate to those who are suffering.

i find smoking one helps.

I am 22 and have been getting terrible pain right under my rib cage for about 2 months now. It radiates through to my back, and makes it hard to breathe. At first I thought it was a stomach ulcer, since I've had 2 before, and it was a similar sort of pain. I've also been under a lot of stress, so a stomach ulcer seemed likely. The first time I went to my gp, she agreed with me, then I saw a different one a couple of weeks ago and she said it could be gallstones. She is now referring me for an ultrasound, as she thinks it is more likely gallstones than an ulcer, and an ultrasound is much less invasive than an endoscopy. I knew nothing about gallstones,  so did some googling and found that I have a lot of the symptoms; the position of the pain under my ribs, the back pain, the sick feeling, the terrible sweating. I had an attack of the pain 3 nights ago, and honestly felt like I was going to die! I have been using my wheat bag to try and ease the pain, but it's having little effect. I'm unable to get in the bath because I'm in a wheelchair, and getting in the shower is quite difficult, so I can't really do that with my normal disability pain plus the agony from my stomach. I came on here tonight because I started getting the pain again (around 2am) and was hoping for some way of temporarily relieving it. I am on OxyContin for other pain, and have OxyNorm for breakthrough pain, so have taken several of those, and now after more than two hours it has finally become bearable. I am not keen on using them as a long term solution though, as they are very addictive and I try to limit my use of them (the OxyNorm not the OxyContin). However, this pain makes me want to just die cos it's so bad, so I suppose for the time being, taking them is better than nothing. What I was wondering though, is if anyone else has weird gurgly noises going on in their stomach during the attack? I tried the massaging with the remote control thing as someone on here suggested, and I immediately started getting gurgly sounds coming from the left side of my stomach. Does anyone know what this is, and whether it's good or bad? They're still going on now, but the pain has stopped, thank goodness. Right, I'm going to try and get some sleep now that it's 4.30am! Sorry this is such a long post, thank you to anyone who takes the time to read it and/or reply.

Did you have an empty stomach and bc you were putting pressure on your stomach, it gurggled? I wouldn't be worried about it, but keep an eye if it happens next time and what it's patterns are. As far as using the remote, I do that and i don't massage it, I push down in the one spot it hurts and try to stay very still...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Bummer about not being able to get in any hot water bc that is the one thing that helps every time.