This is the closest situation to my own, so I had to comment. I am 39, and have been experiencing post-menses headaches for seven years now. It's usually on the left side of the head, and feels like a sinus headache. I had an MRI and CAT scan, and the ENT docs simply asked if I was "getting over a cold." Tells me that they must've seen phlegm/mucous on the scans, but had no useful information to alleviate the congestion. No allergy, sinus or migraine OTC meds seem to work. I find that a hot compress gives temporary relief. I also pulled out the old vaporizer and when I add a few drops of peppermint oil, it is comforting. Exercise did NOTHING for me. Sometimes the neti pot works, but I have yet to come across any one treatment that consistenly brings relief. These headaches can last up to 8 days, and I literally just have to wait it out/sleep it off.

I have one right now itd the first time I have had headaches during and after my period (im 14)

I have been researching headaches for some time now to figure out what I can do for mine. I am no expert, but what you are describing with the tearing eye could be a cluster headache. What I read about it is that oxygen treatments can fix this as they occur. You may want to check into it.

I have the exact same symptoms. As my period ends I feel sick to my stomach, headache up through my neck, slight dizziness, heart feels like it's pounding I feel like I'm crazy. I've been to the ER multiple times in the past 6 months because of headaches and feeling like I'm having a heart attack. I've had EKG's, blood work, chest X-rays, CT scan on my brain, etc. EVERYTHING is normal. In the past 6 months I switched from a hormone IUD to non-hormonal and the ER doctor told me to see my OBGYN because it sounded hormonal. All symptoms I told my OB lead to hormone imbalance or endometriosis. I'm on my first round of birth control pills now and I was told to not skip any days because I am not taking them for the birth control but for the hormone. I just finished my first pack and ended my period so the sick feeling is back. My OB TOLD ME IT WOULD TAKE A GOOD 3 months for the hormone to start working. I really hope this works because I'm tired of being in bed sick and paying so many medical bills for everyone to tell me I'm fine.

You need 25 mg-400 mg of iron depending on how low you are of iron, go get tested. Take one b12 spray pump, vitamin D, and it sounds like you need some magnesium oxide or butterbur. I also think you need ionic minerals 40 drops. I'm also 45. I have suffered with endometrial hyperplasia, fibroids, pms, pmdd, amenorehea and endo. I feel great now after taking those herbs and vitamins that I mentioned. I was a 4.5 in iron.I've taken tinctures for endo and fibroids from Amanda M. Crawford book
list on endometriosis. Hope I helped a little Goodluck! Kimmie

Exercise may not always be a fix. I exercise very regularly. Minimum 5 days per week. Combination of cardio (running) minimum 3 miles 3x per week, weights/bootcamp 3-4 times per week plus soccer 2 x per week. I still consistently get a migraine for the last 2 days of my period. I am in very good shape, blood pressure normal, take my multivitamins/omega3's/iron supplement and sleep regularly. My job is not exceedingly stressful. So as far as lifestyle, I have eliminated every cause I can think of.

I agree that as a society we often can be inclined to take the easier route, but I also think that as a society we can often be judgmental when people do what they need to do to find relief.

The most likely cause of headache after your period is an iron deficiency. Especially if your period is heavy. Iron deficiency can cause headache, fatigue, and dizziness. An iron supplement would be wise and take it with something like orange juice because the vitamin C helps absorb the iron.

Sounds like you have POTS Syndrom. I would look into it. I have POTS and thats they way I feel before my period and ovulation

This happens to me quite often. It is always the last day or the day after the last day of my period. The pain is so bad, I use to get bouts of syncope from it when I was in high school. I was placed on birth control which did help decrease the intensity somewhat. My doctor told me it was due to deceased levels of estrogen. I stopped taking birth control, for several reasons after college and the headaches came back. No NSAIDs Can relieve the pain. It sounds strange and psychosomatic, but I've noticed when I eat hummus more frequently, especially during my period, I don't get the headaches at all. I don't know if it's coincidental or if the estrogen from the chickpeas actually helps but its always worth a shot if all else fails. Y

hi i know what you are going through ..i have been going through this for the last four yrs .i get those headaches that last for two ..three days before my period and sometimes after it is terrible my doctor gave me 800 motrin that did not work ...i dont know what do do anymore . im getting really frustrated im a bit relieved to know there is other ppl out there who is going through the same thing.i am still trying to figure it out.

This is an indian home ramidi,and it's works.make a ginger paste with milk and put on your forehead for 15 minutes. Then clean your forehead with water. Pain will be go away.

I never took any medication during my periods but this time of the month i have been on clock ever 4hrs due to unbearable headache.I get enough sleep but sooner i woke up and think of the day,just strike it up.please help

I take b6 as instructed by my gyno. It works too...take a 50 mg pill does the job

I also get bad migraine on the last day of my period. I can feel very dizzy & faint too. I take Zolmitriptan 2.5mg which helps reduce the pain but it doesn't get rid of it. They last three days & its hell. I work in a school as a Teaching assistant. As you know it's hard working in a school when you head is banging.

Me either the same you, how to settle?