Running helps me as well. If I have one of those headaches, I run any way and it usually helps it go away. Drinking a lot of water and eating super clean around those monthly times help me, too.

This is me..... it's horrible. Are you on any hormones?

Day two of the ending of my period an at the back of my head neck an shoulders hurt when I rub the area it may wear off but it returns plz help

I have these headaches as well and my OBGYN told me that this menstrual headaches and prescribed a medication called Imitrex. I took it @ the first sign of my period and it helped a lot.

I have the same exact problem, every month, at the end of my period. It's my head, back of my neck and shoulders. I can barely function for two days, but one way I found relief is to stand in a very hot shower and let the hot water beat on my face, neck and shoulders. I swear it helps. Aleve, Advil, Tylenol barely give me any relief.

Ladies, I HIGHLY encourage you to buy origins peace of mind lotion. It's a small bottle of aromatherapy lotion that works wonders on temporarily relieving my period headaches. Just rub it on your temples like a little head massage and the minty tingle just takes the pain away. I can't live Withhout it !!!

I jogged right after my period and my headache got worse afterwards

You have having vestibular migraines. They are also called "silent" migraines since they are often unaccompanied by pain. Avoid normal migraine triggers and give the magnesium a try.

I have been exercising for 2 years. Glad it worked for you but not me :(

I have suffered with the same thing with the addition of vomiting. And...exercise (at least intense exercise) actually made it worse. I have recently read that iron deficiency may cause some of these symptoms so I am going to give that a try. Good luck!

I see that your post is over a year old but I want to say I'm the same way . I'm 38 and have been dealing with menstrual migraines for about 15 years. I have the exact same symptoms and I keep a diary . It's all hormonal changes. I take imitrex and it works fine if I take it on time when I start to get visual disturbings.

Hello to you all! I've been having horrible migraines for 2-3 days after every period, and I think I've figured out why! I know my iron levels tend to be low, and I found an article describing exactly what you are all describing by a doctor who is researching non-hormonal migraines that come at the end of menstruation and are not caused by a drop in estrogen.

Talk to your doctor and see if iron supplements might be the answer for you. I had a particularly horrible migraine a couple of days ago, took some iron, and felt relief by the end of the day. Could be coincidence, but I'm going to try it over the next few months and see if a few days of iron supplements during my period will prevent the migraines.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have been suffering with these type of headaches for a couple of years. I am 46, so older than you, but I´ve done a lot of research and have managed to help myself considerably -

Cortisol - the stress hormone. If you are stressed your cortisol levels will be higher which effects the production of your other hormones including estrogen and progesterone. So, it figures that stress can cause your hormones to be out of whack and cause hormones imbalances including headaches.

Sugar - cut out as much as possible including white flour. Again, negatively effects hormone production as well as a host of other horrors.

I went to the docs and had some test done. My hormone levels came back normal so my doc wasn´t interested. I found an article that reported if your hormones levels are normal look at the ratio of progesteron to estrogen during the luteal phase, my levels of progesteron to estrogen were very low. Back to the docs who offered provera, but I didn´t want to take such a medicine with those side effects. So I purchased online a natural progesterone cream and use for 15 days second part of my cycle and like a miracle I no longer suffer these awful headaches for 2 days before my period. My mid cycle ovulation headaches are also cured, although they were helped by a painkilller.

The headaches I get for 2 days after my period - the natural progesteron cream made those worse but as this is the part of my cycle where estrogen should be rising, I purchased natual estrogen cream, which reduces the severity.

Obviously I´m not a doctor and everyone has different symptoms but my advice, reduce sugar, eat plenty of vegetables, light exercise so you don´t spike those cortisols levels (find an exercise you enjoy doing) and reduce the amount of stress in your live. Go to the docs and get some tests done to find out what is out of whack and if you need some hormones balancing, look into natural bioidentical hormones.

I started getting these headaches a few years ago too. Along with a really stiff neck and shoulders. Always a day or so after the start of my period. Through trial and error I have found the only thing that even touches the pain is going for a run. It's about the last thing I want to do when I'm feeling so bad but after 20 minutes or so I start to feel about 50% better. I'm no great runner so I usually stop then and try again the next day to feel completely better. It's made life a lot better having some control over it all!

Having read through more of these posts it seems that there are different kinds of headaches going on here. Migraine type headaches are more vascular and will probably be made worse by exercise. My type of headache is more tension type headache which seems to respond well to the natural analgesic effect of endorphins from exercise.
Different approaches suit different causes. Good luck with your search and hope you find relief!