Hi, I am very proud of my hair. I can say that it is the greatest part of my beauty. That is why it is very important to me to take good care of it. I use the best hair care products my hair dresser recommends. However, a friend of mine told me that hair gel can ruin my hair. I use a lot of it to achieve the desired results and couldn't imagine my life without it. Is my friend right and can hair gel really ruin my hair?

Hi, I have a few things to say about the everyday use of hair gel. My brother was as obsessed as you about his hair. I sometimes believe that he loved his hair more than our family. His hair was always impressible. Of course, this kind of image took a lot of time and the excessive use of hair gel. At first my brother was very happy and pleased, but after a while everything changed. I was the first to notice that my brother has started to lose his hair. When I pointed out this fact he was very surprised and told me that I am wrong because he takes good care of his hair. I have tried talking to him about the negative effects of hair gel, but he didn't listen. So he kept up with his use of hair gel and other products. He finally saw that I was right when the scalp at the top of his head started to show. This was a great shock for him and he immediately stopped applying hair gel. Unfortunately, the damage was already done. Now three years later, with the help of right diet and hair growth products, his hair has started to slowly grow back. You should listen to your friend and cut down on hair gel if you want to be proud of your hair in the future.

yeah hair gel ruins your hair... learn from my mistake... i use to use hair gel too to hav my hair style and later on i started loosing lots of hair

i advice to use hair gel once in a while, like special occassions or something

Dont use hair gel extensively. And what ever product your using see that its branded and the ingredients are not harmful.

Alcohol is terrible for hair, try to find a good moisturising balm instead. And its a good idea to give your hair a clarifying wash once a week if you use a lot of product, just mix a tsp of bicarb of soda with your shampoo and it will really deep cleanse.

a good high quality cocoa butter lotion can be better than a gel, so light in the summer!

My long hair only started getting damaged when I started straightening it everyday. Before then, I used gel everyday and it grew almost to my belly button. Gel can damage it, but it wont cause hair loss. The most likely cause is genetics.

yes,hair gel can ruin your hair.It lets your hair dry.Any of the gel being used struck your hair and make it dry.The best alternative for it is moose.The gel not only let your hair dry but it's continuous use can cause hair fall too.

This is a controversial issue.Some people have the believe that it is harmful but other believes that it don't effect the hairs.It is better for you to use moose instead of gel because gel lets the hair dry,dust struck inside it and causes hair fall.
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have very curly hair and have found nothing that works good in my hair except gel, where i messed up was using any old EXTRA HOLD gel which did damage my hair.

If your going to use gel just remember to use a alcohol free gel, the alcohol dries out your hair a lot, also apply the gel when your hair is wet so you dont have to use as much it dries gelled.

Yes, surely but you should take properly.

I'm also extemely curly, what products would you recomend that are alcohol free?

you should wash the gel out of your hair at the end of the day so then it doesn't damage the hair make sure you wash your hair properly 

What about if the gel says to apply to WET hair.....will it cause damage if u use it once in a while? and will it make the hair a lil bit shiny and curly that way?

Yes, Please stop using gel. From excessive usage of gel I lost 90 % of my hair. I am 23 years old and A FEMALE. So stop using please