I am on lamictin 200mg for bi-polar, i want to know if it is bad and harmfull to smoke weed now and then while having bi-polar and on the meds? I have stoped drinking.

I've been on 200mg lamictal for about a little under a year now. It's somewhat cloudy when I try to analyze every little "change" it has done in my life, but when I think of it, I noticed that I was actually able to quit marijuana when taking it (I had wanted to quit for a while before lamictal, but I never quite worked up the willpower to do so). I'm not exactly sure, however, if the lamictal itself helped me quit or if I could just no longer stand the way weed effected me WHEN I was on lamictal. Anyways, I've started smoking weed again (although I went all summer w/o when my group of friends consisted of a bunch of potheads). But even after starting smoking again, I've realized that the weed just doesn't effect me like it did before I took any meds (including adderrall--which I've been taking for about 3+ years). My high is a lot more ...unnatural ..to say the least. They're very powerful and it does the opposite of what it's known for doing (e.g makes me anxious/stresses when it's supposed to chill me out/ turns me anti-social when I should be happy & high with everyone like I used to be). Yet I still smoke when I'm alone and am finished with the day because nonetheless it is a subconscious form of escape whether we recognize it or not. It just kind of blows knowing that meds (lamictal/adderall) are rewiring my brain so much as they're literally reversing the natural affects that cannabis used to give me. So, to answer your question, you could say that lamictal has actually proven helpful in my efforts to quit smoking pot, but even if you want the occassional/late-night smoke, it's not going to be the same. I'm calling my psychiatrist tomorrow and tell her I want off all the drugs. I haven't seen much of a difference, she knew me for less than an hour before diagnosing me with bipolar, if anything it's EVOKING

33 years old. Smoking weed since I was 14 - almost every day. I was diagnosed with BPD II when I was 30, so for 3 years I've been on Lamictal (brand name or generic "lamotrigine" at times, and occasionally Haldol for the anxiety). Due to financial issues (a nightmare for us with BPD!!) I have had every situation possible: had to stop the meds cold turkey cause I couldn't afford them; had about 6 months unmedicated (OMG the horror) but self-medicating with weed; got back on Lamictal and still smoking weed; taking both, taking none... and before I was diagnosed I spent 18 mos. in AA with absolutely no chemicals. So I've pretty much run the gamut when it comes to situations with chemicals, drugs and meds. I'm obsessive about keeping track of my moods and changes, so I can see clearly exactly what is going on.

My self-studies have shown that smoking marijuana is a very good treatment for the anxiety, and it calms the rage. I happen to be one of the people who enjoys hypomanic episodes so I don't really try to medicate that part. It may sound like I'm promoting marijuana because I've been smoking for so long, but again I had a year & 1/2 with no chemicals at all so I can tell the difference. Like many others, the combination of Lamictal and marijuana has two negative side effects that are annoying - short term memory is for sh*t and a lot more lasting brain fog. In the past, before being diagnosed, smoking weed by itself has only affected my short term memory while I was high. Now, being on meds, I have trouble with my memory a lot more. (This also could be because I've been smoking for so long.) Other than that, I have found marijuana to be extremely therapeutic and soothing, calming and helps me to at least FEEL balanced even when I know I'm not.

An important note to ppl with BPD - the most effective treatment is psychotherapy, which is a combination of therapy and meds. Marijuana should not take the place of meds because they are important for regulation of brain chemicals and weed doesn't do that. So my answer is yes, smoke weed to relax while taking Lamictal, just try not to do it before something important! :-)

Hey, hi, hello! Im 17 im a female and i was just recently tested for seizures got my brain waves tested, and they came back abnormal! So the doctor said i need to go back in and talk to a doctor or more like a doctor talk to me, about what my results meant. I was told i had 12 seizures through out the test. They lasted each easily 1 to 3 sec. But when they had me to an exercise, which was make myself hyperventilate. While doing that exercise i had another seizure, only this time it lasted 10 sec. I was doing it, i started off fine they had me do it for 3 min, halfway through the test i felt like i was going to passout i felt as if i couldnt do it anymore. I guess that's when they seen i was having a seizure. So they stopped the test and that's when i was told i had to go back in. The doctor told me, i have seizures with out knowing it. So today well March 2, i was put on lamictal 25 MG. Growing up they always wondered why i always unexpectedly woke up, why i was always day dreaming, why it's hard for me to focuss. My mom says it all makes sense to her now. Not knowing all along i was having seizures. They thought i had ADHD growing up, even now. So last year in september, i had a seizure(my first seizure EVER) i woke up from it not knowing what had happend. Now imagine waking up, but things still being a little fuzzy, your head pounding and paramedics surrounded around you. They asked me what happend, i responded laughing and said "i took a nap" they took me into the hospital, while sitting in the ambulance car thingy. The paramedic dood, asked me "what happen to your tounge?" I said "nothing why?" he said "well your bleeding and it looks like you cut it." i looked at him confused, touched my tounge and it hurt, i was bleeding. He told me i might of bit my tounge. Then i was told what it might be. I got to the hospital they gave me a cat scan, ran test. Everything came out fine. They said it was beacause i was exercising pushing my body to it's limit, and not eating rite. I also smoke weed, around the time i had the seizure i was smoking daily. Even before i would exercise! Im super cautious of myself/body. For anything im at the doctor.( little finger, shoulder sprains, shin splints.) at first i didnt put any mind to it, and went with what the doc said. I stoped exercising, let my body rest, smoking some ganja you know. Months went by and still didnt exercise. I went to my boy friends senior ditch day, played a game of beer pong smoked A LOT! Mayb 4,5 blunts in one sitting and hot boxed the room. We were done smoking, we got up went outside to chill, i was standing next to my boy friend and leaned up against a pole. I suddenly felt disabled, my vision began to blurr i was slowly falling at the same time i was trying to grab my boy friend or talk out to him. But i couldnt get my arms to reach him and i couldnt get words out my mouth. The whole time this was happening , i was able to hear and see eveything that was going on around me. Then came the fall, like i had collapsed. My boy friend immediately grabbed me, and started shaking me and slapping me.(not like omg he's beating me type of slaps) he asked me "what are you doing, what happened?" i looked at him like are you serious im trying to sleep. So he got me and took me inside the house. They gave me water, i sat chilled for a bit. Everyone thought that i was having another seizure. But i didnt think much of it, only cause i was going based off my first seizure. And that was nothing near to how the first one was. I told a friend what had happend and she said i think you did have another seizure, my sister get's seizures and sometimes she tells me how she feels and she tells me what your telling me. I became concerned, so i made an app. to see a doctor and talk to them about it. I went in and they told me i had to get test done. (my brain wave one) I thought i was gonna be okay, with in mind of what the other doctor had told me, pushing my body to it's limit, and not eating rite. That's all i thought it was, i didnt know it was gonna be something big to where i had to be put on med's. So now im on lamictal for two years, and in two years i go back in get tested again and if my results come back normal, im off and i've out grown this seizure stuff. But if they come out abnormal again im with it for life. Now i LOVE to smoke weed, no other way to put it. It's not a daily thing or often, not even every other day. But when i do smoke i smoke!!(;
But with just being put on lamictal, and hearing you cant do drugs or drink while on meds. The drinking is no problem, it's just not my scene. But the smoking part is what im wondering. Can i smoke weed, and take lamictal without it being a problem to the medicine or what its suppose to do, is it gonna make it stop working? I've been reading on it, and a lot of people say that it makes them dizzy, they wanna throw up. Basically it's not something you wanna experiance. Or is it a type of thing that it depends on the person and how they're body or whatever reacts to it? Can someone please help me out on this. I have many things coming up my brothers leaving to the army he's having going aways partys and since im not a drinker i wanna refer it all night and both nights, also my big one eight is coming up. And well i have got to smoke with many people. Sesh it up you know. But with being on lamictal, is making it hard for me to put another blunt to my lips. HELP ME!! please (:

My psychiatrist recently told me that smoking pot lowers the amount of Lamictal in your bloodstream. This makes sense because Lamictal levels are affected by female hormone fluctuations over the course of the month, and anyone on Lamictal and birth control knows that they interact -- and pot is a female plant hormone.

This also makes sense from my personal experience. I wish I had had this information a long time ago, not that it would have stopped me. I've been on Lamictal since January 2005 and have taken between 100-200 mg/day since then for Bipolar II. I'm 25, female, 130 lbs. I didn't do any drugs in college, but after I graduated and moved to an awesome city in 2008, I tried everything, starting with weed. But I had some incredibly weird and very scary experiences at first. I would just take two hits (of really good stuff) and suddenly start tripping out like I'd taken acid (although I hadn't had any hallucinogens yet so it kind of scared me); I would see huge geometric patterns and textures overlaying my vision, flashes of random chairs and toys and fabrics from my childhood, my senses were suddenly amplified, everything was crazy and beautiful, I would start thinking about the nature of memories and all that, and this would go on for 12 hours at full craziness. But those were the fun things. The problem is that I would start twitching and jerking, not exactly like a seizure because I didn't fall down and start convulsing, but pretty bad jerks in my arms and legs and head and pretty much all over; apparently my voice got all weird, like wobbling between high and low pitches and talking really slowly; I was completely disoriented (I couldn't tell where in my life or where in the world I was some of the time, which is kind of fun from a psychedelic standpoint, but is still scary and a babysitter is necessary). I know, I KNOW it's crazy that I kept smoking pot, especially considering I'm on Wellbutrin along with the Lamictal and I'm supposed to look out for seizure symptoms...SO DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME--I could have easily gotten epilepsy forever or died...but I'm curious to a deadly level. And uh, impulsive? And I always have been. Which is why I take Lamictal. Plus I study the unconscious mind academically, so it was intellectually super interesting to me too . Anyway, I kept smoking, and it was kind of a toss-up: sometimes I'd smoke and just have a normal high time, and other times I'd see gorgeous things and hear things and be off in some glorious never-never land, with kind of twitchy feelings still. But over time, it got more and more normal, and even though weed is still weirdly hallucinogenic for me, I don't feel twitchy or anything...just super giggly.

However, I've started noticing, now that I'm in grad school and don't smoke as much, that each time I smoke I feel grumpy for days afterwards. And now that I've FINALLY learned that weed lowers Lamictal levels, it kind of makes sense. Just be careful, guys. Watch out for twitching. I'm too impulsive to be a good example, but now you know what happened in my case.

i have been diagnosed with bipolar type I for about 6 months after i was in my depression phase,i was on abilify,and got off that,the risperdole and lamictal,and now im only on lamictal. i hadn't smoked in a while so this could be why i had a but of energy and sever paranoia. but now i am fine.

https://www.steadyhealth.com/Marijuana_Effects_on_Lamictal_t101522.html

Lovergirlscarynight 33 seconds ago Ok so I smoked when I switched from lamictal 75 mg to 100 mg. I drank one four loco (which somehow got me sh*t faced) and I had to go to the ER. My body has the most unusual reaction with lamictal ever seen at this hospital. My body obsorbed the alcohol so fast by the time I whent to the ER two hours after I had drank there was no alcohol in my blood system. Yet I was inebriated beyond believe and was having seizure like symptoms as well as easily becoming hypothermic. I had an eregularheart beat dangerously high blood pressure and dangerously low blood sugar. My body was dehydrated though I had been constantly drinking water and is had eaten an hour before so the low blood sugar was unusual as well. It caused such bad anxiety plus the reactions to everything else and caused swelling in my brain which resulted in unusual bruising unexplained, rashes, bleeding sores, depressin and worsened anxiety I have been to the hospital in and out all week. I'm n cortisone and with the after effects of everything else it caused extreme nausea, food goes straight through me, that causes dehydratin as well, and unusual eating feelings I'm starving all the time like super starving while the thought of food disgusts me completely to the point of wanting to vomit. Lamictal and marajuanna especially mixed with alcohol can not only be lethal but expensive, and uncomfortable. Please don't do it together im still sick as f**k and I've missed a week of school already I'm going to have perminant scars from the sores and I'm dizzy as hell every single second of every single day.

I've been on lamictal for like 3 years and I smoke a couple times a week. The lamictal works wonders, and I haven't noticed any interaction between the pot and meds, except that it feels like my high never lasts as long as I feel like it should. It does, however, give me mad munchies.

Hey! Man, Umm I take it for seizures and I have absolutly no bad sideeffects. You should be fine.

I have Bi-Polar2 and smoked pot on occasion (roughly every two-three weeks). Once taking Lamotrogine (a generic rendition of that discussed) I smoked a joint and my brain flipped out. I begun to hallucinate and my sense caused me to feel as if all my hairs had become shards of ice (I have a beard so it wasn't very nice) after hallucinating for 20 minutes I developed hypothermia and intense nausea which caused me to vomit for three hours later. I'm on 200mg and I would definetly not reccomend smoking cannabis whilst on this medication.

Smoking anything is bad for you. Vaporizing is good for you.Shrinks know nothing more than getting their % from pharmaceutical companies for prescribing their drugs. I'll bet vaporizing cannabis with or without their shitty medications make you feel better and clean your head and lungs from city pollution. I'm on lamictal 2nd month100mg and have had anxiety and migrains and these shrink asholes don't give a sh*t or tell you to come off it slowly.
SFG

34 Cauc. M. USA. Management.

On and off cannabis consumer from 13-29, regular user since. 1gm/d, smoked, standard dosage. Consumption variance between occasional tokes over the day, to just burning it all in the evening.Lamictal prescribed for BPII. Std titration from 25-> 300 mgs. 25/50/100/200/300. Once over 100, split dosage 1/2 @ 2x/day.Results:

25-100 mgs: Progressively better anti-depressant qualities from the Lamictal. Each move up the scale led to 3-9 days of increased irritability, anxiety, and that teasing edge of hypo-mania.               200mgs: Move up the scale caused less noticeable irritability, but the hypomania was stronger.               300mgs: Same as above, but with _strong_ but very, very occassional hypomania. (ie. hypersexuality, grandiosity, attitude control problems, agression, etc.)With cannabis: All levels initially revealed the previously mentioned "LamiKick" where alcohol/cannabis effects are enhanced, however it faded as the change in dosage wore off. Otherwise normal "pot high." Note: Regularly consumed strain is mostly indica. Twice (over a three year period) I had a problem with anxiety, racing heart, shortness of breath, mild hallucinations, and onset hypomania after consuming marijuana. However this was in situations where cannabis consumption was _significantly_ higher than normal, and the symptoms alleviated as the marijuana wore off.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

is quick to note how twitchy Lamictal is based on body, other meds, type of disorder, humidity, color of the room you are in, and the five second average of the surface temperature of the sun.

I think one of their forums noted Sativas have a tendency to cause the hypomanic states: Agitation, enhanced paranoia, irritability, delusions, hallucinations, etc.

Lamictal has wierd effects on people when one is titrating ONTO it, and below 150mg. So if the doc just put you on it, and you're not at the "maintenance dose," either lay off the weed or take it easy. Also, _give it time_! Most are aware of the quick onset, but it really takes time and a decent maintenance dose to actually get in there and work.

TL;dr You're combining drugs... keep it simple, keep it small, and keep it slow.I highly recommend splitting any dosage over 100mgs to 1/2 dose twice daily (talk to your doctor) it helped a lot with the up and down of taking the Lamictal.Give the Lamictal time to work (90 days).Smoke lightly until you know what'll happen, and try to stick to Indicas.Oh, and take your Folate... again, ask your PsyDoc.

the same thing happened to me. Whenever I smoke on lamictal I feel suicidal. I've decided to stop smoking if I'm taking lamictal. panic attacks aren't fun

I started taking lemictal several months ago for being bipolar, now I am on 200 mg and it really seems to help but I still struggle a lot. Recently my anxiety had become so unbarable that I tried weed for the first time and at first I felt awesome but shortly after I started shaking uncontrolably and having chest spasms, then my entire body started seizing up. I was with my boyfriend and his friend and they almost took me to the hospital. Most highs only last several hours, this lasted 16. I tried it again the next day but this time only shotgunning it and I got stoned after basically nothing but I didnt spaz out this time. When I really limited how much I did I was fine and it helped so just be careful how much you use..... and I mean REALLY limited it. Last time I smoked I took one hit, granted it was a big one, but after one hit I felt as though I frgot how to breathe, I started dry heaving, I lost my vision for a few minutes, collapsed on the floor and my ears were ringing so loudly I wanted to cry, after this went away I felt great though and it lasted a long time. If you do smoke just take it easy and remember the meds will greatly intensify your high so be safe!