i too suffer from the feeling of lump in my throat. when i massage my thyroid i get all this burning? mucous in my throat. i decided to put a [bio heel foot patch] on before going to bed. i didn't know if it would catch anything, as i have placed them on areas other than my feet & they haven't filled up; but i woke up & felt the patch on my throat this morning & its gone all hard so it definitely has soaked up some toxins; its just not overflowing like when i use them on my feet. im not choking as much, but can still feel a lil pressure but not as bad. i will be repeating this trial again. i get my patches from [bio natural]. cheers & good luck ppl !
praise the lord for patches :-D

It could be an anxiety issue.

When one has a certain type of acid reflux where both of the esophageal valves (The upper and lower) have been damaged and can not close completely quite often a certain part of the throat becomes inflamed because there is nothing to stop stomach acid from reaching up your throat to this area.

I too have had the same problems. I am currently wide awake because I keep feeling that lump in my throat. It feels like phlegm but it's not, no matter how hard I swallow.....the lump remains.

I am 22 years old and have smoked for about 5 years. I quit smoking three months ago because I thought this was causing my problem. However the problem persists. I too have noticed I am burping more because of all the swallowing Im doing. I am going to go to the GP about it because I'm gettin kinda worried. It's literally 24 hours a day I can feel the lump.

what the hell is this?! could it be pet related? I have a cat and two dogs (both short hair)

This is a thyroid problem. Ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels. All they have to do is draw blood and run a test on the blood.

Cant stand it any longer!! Has anyone managed to get away from this yet??? I have had this constant lump in the throat for 5 yrs, however its not really painful, just annoying!! it seems to come and go, docs say its all anxiety related...... not sure what to do.

I have suffered with the lump in my throat for 16 years now, i have done barium swallows, i have had my tonsils removed and still it is there and all the doctors can do is shrug, and say it will eventually go away. It is annoying and makes it hard to breath sometimes, as well as giving the constant feeling that something is stuck in my throat, i have got used to ignoring it most of the time, but other days it can drive me insane. I would love to know what it is and how to get rid of it, and it worries me that it may be something more serious.

I've been suffering from the lump in my throat for about 2 years, I thought it was coffee, but tried decaf, and it's still going on. It is very frustrating , at times I feel I can't breathe. I will be making an appointment with my doctor. Does anyone else feel this affect from coffee?

I am having this same problem, and I, too know it's not acid reflux. You should lookup information online of "Plum Pit Qi" it is said to be very common in women, cured by lowering stress and anxiety levels, and also with acupuncture. I looked this up online and the symptoms are exact for me. It says most western medicine doesn't know how to diagnose or cure it, but that eastern/oriental medicine has been dealing with it for centuries and there are a few supposedly good cures (one of them being acupuncture treatments). I am looking into acupuncture, and now that I know what it is, I have been less stressed about it and it is less noticeable (maybe curing itself) the less I think about it. Like i said before, I would definitely recommend reading more about "Plum Pit Qi". Hope all goes well for you!

I am so glad to see I am not the only one. I have had a "lump" in my throat for years. I used to smoke and I always wanted to quit because I thought it was the cause. I quit over a year and a half ago and still no relief. I do gag as some of the other people on here. I just have a massive amount of phlegm no matter what I do. I can cough and bring up some of it but never the lump. It is always worse in winter because of the dry air. Sometimes it will sit on the same spot in my throat and actually burn a hole in the tissue in my throat and then I have a sore throat for weeks and it gets infected. Coughing to get it up only hurts my throat as well in the long run because it just tears it up as well.

Last night it was so bad that I could not go to sleep because when my throat relaxed it would close up and I could not breath. I coughed for 30 minutes trying to break it out but I just could not do it. The things I do notice that make it worse are soft drinks (anything that has a thicker texture) milk, alcoholic drinks, and orange juice. Anything that dehydrates a person makes the lump thicker and stickier. I am going to try water only for the next 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference but I gotta tell you this thing is kicking my a$$. I just feel like when I cough and clear my throat that it misses the area this phlegm is at. I have started using a neti pot and gargling salt water so if it makes a difference I will let you know. I just want someone to find a reason and a remedy for this.

I have a lump in my throat (phlegm) which is just annoying. The bigger problem is that I am exhausted whn I start walking, even from my living room to my bedroom and then I have trouble breathing. As soon as I sit down, the breathing problem goes away but the phlegm is always there.

Anyone else have this?

I discovered 1 1/2 years ago that I have hypothyroidism. I just had a baby and was confusing the symptoms with after effects of childbirth. I was tired, my hair was falling out, my skin very dry, white and rough and pains in my body. I was VERY cold and anxious to the point of my family saying something is not right because I was begging for help. I thought that it was partially depression (due to my abusive living situation that is no longer) and who isn't tired and sore after having a baby. I mentioned how I was feeling to the doctor but he didn't seem very concerned until he routinely took my blood at the check up. My Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) was 125 or something and I believe the measurement is .4 to 7 being normal! I could have gone into a coma. I was treated immediately but since then I have noticed a thickening in my throat. I ignored it at first thinking it would clear up over time and has been examined since but I am beginning to have this feeling like there is a little something in my throat sitting there tickling. I am thinking it may actually be something stuck as I have been spitting up "tonsil stones" which are disgusting balls of plaque-like debris and smell like death. I think that my having used a whitening rinse disturbed it a little but I think this enlargening is causing bits to get stuck. I went to the doc again and he gave me Prevacid and said to take it for a month and if it doesn't improve he will send me to an ENT. I think my purpose of telling this is that the thyroid definetly causes some of this. Possibly because of the lack of moisture. I would like to try something I read about bad breath and the tonsil stones - to try gargling with grape seed extract. I can't afford it currently but will definitely try it in future before persuing pharmecutical treatment. Another concern is the gluten issue and I am curious to explore this possibility if the aforementioned does not work. Good luck and drink WATER.

After reading all the stuff here, I can say with some degree of certainty that this thing is stress/anxiety-related. I have had mine for about two months (lucky me). It comes and goes in rhythms (regular intervals of a few minutes or seconds). Two days ago it got worse when I stayed up late trying to finish some work. This thing sat there for about an hour (ages in my case, with my little experience). I called the doctor. He asked me to chew on some garlic and gulp hot ginger for that night while he figures it out in the morning. It took less than 1 minute of the fluid hitting my throat for the thing to clear. I could hardly believe it. I did the garlic routine again the next day, and today. I’ve felt nothing all day. I just hope this is the magic remedy. And just hope folks find this useful.

I have had a lump of mucus in my throat for a long while now, sometimes it made it hard to breathe, other times it wasn't as bad, recently it was bad for weeks unless I was sat down. I found that when I had to go somewhere in the car after a long drive I could breathe much better, I think it must be the vibration that gets the cilia moving. I am going somewhere every day now, in a car or bus, and it is unbelievable how much better I am, I can run about now, I have no breathing problems at all.

Guest wrote:

I am only 26 years old. I am a male. I am in PERFECT physical shape. I dont over indulge on food, I dont eat spicy foods and I follow the proper diet for GERD patients... BUT I CANT GET THIS DAMN LUMP OUT OF MY THROAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do I do???? I would give all of the money that I have to get rid of the lump for just one day. Can someone please find a cure? I refuse to take any kind of medication. I would prefer natural methods. If so many people are suffering from this.. why havent doctors tried to find a cure?

Lee [/quote is it an actual lump or is it a feeling that there is a lump there??i too have have the lump sensation came on all of a sudden they said it could be gerd,dysphegia,you get it from stress just get an appoint with a ent and see if they can help you i am going through the same thing doing lots of tests and no relieving symptoms but holding out hope ,hope this helps you out