I too have been suffering from years upon years of clearing my throat. It is very irritating and also embarrassing. I have seen multiple gastroenterologists and even a couple ear, nose & throat drs. All kept telling me it was GERD and prescribed me some proton pump inhibitors among other common GERD medication. It often made it worse. Which was blowing my mind.

I was seeing a psychiatrist for depression and anxiety fairly recently. When I was there I mentioned I was taking omeprazole to help with the constant clearing of my throat. He told me that if I am taking omeprazole that I needed to be taking a magnesium supplement, because it lowers the levels of magnesium in your body. Well, I found that interesting, so I researched magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is known as a natural supplement to provide a calming effect. But, I also starting researching magnesium and the throat. It can help with spasms and relax the esophagus among other things.

I ordered some quality magnesium from Amazon and have been taking it daily for a couple months. My throat clearing is distinctly better. A lot of times, after I eat lunch is the worse, which is what lead Drs and myself to always think it was GERD. Well, everyday like clockwork, after lunch I start feeling the itch or lump in my throat. Now I mix up this magnesium and drink it. Within a few seconds it's nearly gone, or at least profoundly better, as well, I am noticeably calmer mentally.I am not saying it is a cure, but it is a natural remedy that absolutely helps me. It makes it manageable.

Lately, I have started jogging again and trying to eat healthier. I have lost some weight. All of this combined with the Magnesium has helped me nearly cure myself of this. I don't believe there is a magic pill to cure our ailment. Before you discount this as "snake oil", do yourself a favor if you are suffering, at least spend a few minutes researching in. I don't want to promote any brand, but the Natural Calm line works really well for me. I am about to try the liquid form now, as I have heard it is even better.

I've had a sore throat and heartburn almost constantly for about 4 years. It felt like burning in my chest and a lump in my throat. I've had tests done where the put a camera down my throat and couldn't find anything but said it was GERD. Last week I had about 3 coffees during the day and then an iced coffee which probably had about 3 shots of coffee in it and I suddenly felt very ill, like I couldn't breathe and that my throat was closing over. I googled it and found symptoms could be associated with caffeine allergy. So I haven't had coffee all week and I've had NO SYMPTOMS ALL WEEK. This has never happened before.

Thyroid is your culprit. I too use to suffer from this lump feeling in my throat until I was put on thyroid medicine. However, I've done lots of research & have found iodine deficiency is likely throwing off thyroid function in millions of people. I'd recommend eating foods rich in iodine. Google this to find foods for your own pallet. Hope this helps you it gave me my relief in my throat.

After what appeared to the Doctors to be Thyroiditis, Glandular fever and a tonsillitis throat infection. I was left with a lump in my throat and problems swallowing. The antibiotics cleared up the infection but the problem swallowing would still be there. It was bad most days with the occasional good day. No problem swallowing when drinking water...
Could eat OK but food did get stuck..
Based on the information in this Website. I told my Doctor I thought I had acid coming up from my stomach.
He said that this could be correct and worth a try, Doctor said about silent reflux and prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg capsules twice per day.
Within 1 hour, I could swallow quite normally and over the next 2 days the improvement continued. I still have a bit of a sick feeling and will have to go back to the Doctor to get this diagnosed.
My only symptoms of acid reflux was that I had a bad taste in my mouth and my taste buds were not working very well. Also, it was sore one day in the back of my nose passages.
Many thanks to everyone posting on this subject.
I hope this helps someone.

After what appeared to the Doctors to be Thyroiditis, Glandular fever and a tonsillitis throat infection. I was left with a lump in my throat and problems swallowing. The antibiotics cleared up the infection but the problem swallowing would still be there. It was bad most days with the occasional good day. No problem swallowing when drinking water... Could eat OK but food did get stuck.. Based on the information in this Website. I told my Doctor I thought I had acid coming up from my stomach.  He said that this could be correct and worth a try, Doctor said about silent reflux and prescribed Omeprazole 20 mg capsules twice per day. Within 1 hour, I could swallow quite normally and over the next 2 days the improvement continued. I still have a bit of a sick feeling and will have to go back to the Doctor to get this diagnosed. My only symptoms of acid reflux was that I had a bad taste in my mouth and my taste buds were not working very well. Also, it was sore one day in the back of my nose passages.

Milk - enough in one and a half cups of tea made the pain in my throat terrible.

This is due to the stomach acid splits the fat from the protein. Many thanks to everyone posting on this subject. I hope this helps someone.

DENTAL PROBLEMS COULD CAUSE YOUR THROAT LUMP/SWELLING, PROBLEMS SWALLOWING.
Though I would add to the previous message as the problems in my throat came back.
After visiting ENT specialists and dentist the remaining infection problem was coming from bad fillings in my wisdom teeth and an abscess which was difficult to see.
New antibiotics were prescribed METRONIDAZOLE 400mg 3 times per day.
These work against anaerobic bacteria. Going forward I will be having the teeth removed as this can get reinfected causing complications with other throat infections.
If you have any dental problems especially in your back teeth this can give you throat problems and the Lump.
Because it fall between the dentist specially and the doctors you will need to go to the dentist first to get the antibiotics. I managed to see and ENT specialist who does talk to dentist and will be keeping a close eye on the infected area to ensure it does not return until I get the teeth removed.
Hope my story to recovery helps someone.

Hi All,

I've had similar symptoms to a lot of the below posters .. feeling of lump in throat, gagging, clearing throat also I keep on wanting to swallow which is making things worse because that seems to inject more mucous into my throat and clog things up. Night time is a nightmare because I swallow, then feel irritated and swallow again, which clogs up my throat and so on. Doctors said silent reflux and put me on Omeprazole which didn't help, mucous thinning medicine, and various sprays - still just as bad, if not getting worse. I had a camera test for throat cancer which luckily came back clear. I think stress is a contributor to this, and maybe diet and too much wine - but the wine helps me relax, Good luck everyone else Simon

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I, like others in this conversation have been dealing with this for at least a year on and off, and desperately would like a fix for it. It gets to the point of gagging reflex at times, but otherwise stays at a very tense state that I used to be able to close my eyes and forcibly relax. Not really anymore. Yes, muscle relaxants help - I was given Lorazepam which doctors seem hesitant to prescribe due to its potential addictive quality, but I hate taking any pills at all so only when it's bad do I rely on this. Otherwise, the only other thing that seems to temporarily lessen the feeling is alcohol (which the doc said operates on the same part of the brain/body that Lorazepam does), but I don't like the fogginess of alcohol and this isn't an option on the job, obviously. I've noticed more recently that after drinking coffee it seems to worsen, so I looked up this idea.
Allergic reaction does sound highly possible (and for me, like the person who noticed the issue after drinking coffee with milk) I learned I had a mild allergy to dairy back when I was pregnant with my son, so it could be both/either! I love my coffee w/ cream so it's been hard to eliminate, but is seems a test for this is in order and I should look to tea. Will try it out and report back and possibly try to get allergy-test at my doctor.
Appreciate everyone's comments and input.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

For sure its not cancer ,once some aort of cancer develops it doesnt go away then return and if ot was constant it would of gotten worse and more bad aigns qoukd appear,

hope u find a cure uptil now, otherwise try two pieces of clove under your tongue until they become taste less in morning and evening.

Wow 16 years for a lump in your throat.
If the doc says it's nothing nasty then it's likely Plumstone Throat (Plum Pit Qi). Go and see an acupuncturist.
Seriously, I had it for a week and it drove me mad. She got rid of it in one go (but if you have had it that long it might take longer to go, methinks)
It is anxiety related, in a way. So your doc is half right.

Hey. I have same problem for 2 years now too . I cannot tell you the he'll I've been thru because of this and the amount of doctors I've been to. I see your post is over a year old. Have you found any answers? I am 39 female. I have a lot more to say about the topic and I will if I see a response. Thanks! And all the best.

Read about histamine intolerance, you may find changing your diet and being aware of the histamine levels in foods beneficial. I too have had these symptoms and after seeing a doctor that practices alternative functional medicine I have seen great improvements and feel great. You may find an entire new way to get rid of the symptoms without drugs.

i quit caffeine and my throat issues went away!!

Yes, I think it's worse from coffee. Mine started just before I put on a large graduation party at my home. I thought I was coming down with something, starting with a sore throat. But all that ever came from it was this lump in the base of my throat feeling that I've had now for a couple months. Just had an ultrasound and thyroid bloodwork to see if there's anything else going on.