I've been having this lump feeling in my neck or around where my adam's apple is for a month now, accompanied with a gagging sensation and it won't go away and if anything it seems to be getting worst...

I'm going to the doctor tomorrow...might have to do with my throid since my family has a history of thyroidism.  But does anyone else notice that it's worst right after you eat and esp. if you eat fast.  If you chew your food like 20 times it seems better?

Hi everyone,

I just want to note first of all that I feel for all of you as I too am now suffering from this "Lump" sensation and It is unbelievably annoying! and I feel like I'm going to snore in broad daylight.

I have been reading everyones stories and I just felt I should contribute as it may help someone. Some of the things I have noticed about myself that are pre-existant but up until now didn't affect my throat are:

Age: I am 21

Lifestyle:

Drinking or consuming anything with milk made me feel sluggish and makes me feel phlemy

Consuming products with Gluten made me feel sluggish and phlemy ( I have cut most gluten products out)

I have no serious allergies that I know of but I have always suffered inflamed sinus's that drain constantly and blocks up one ear (Milk and Gluten make it worse)

I suffer anxiety and I don't deal with stress very well although stress seems to find me.

I don't drink heavy amounts of alcohol due to anxiety and panic attacks

I am in the process of quiting smoking

and up until 2 weeks ago I had no lump sensation until some family issues arose and my work started to really drive me up the wall.

Methods to relieve "Lump"

Singing loudly in the car - relieves stress

smoking or patches - relieves the anxiety of quiting

not consuming Dairy products

Chewing gum - seems to open throat and prevent panic attack "of not being able to breath"

Sitting here reading everyones stories and trying to 'control' spasms... seems to be working

Ignoring it -  sometimes works

Although I would not advise anyone to take my 'article' as gosspil and I would encourage people to see their GP, I would like to note that I believe this "lump" in majority of cases is stress and anxiety related,  It comes and goes with stressful situations and It almost feels like your body is getting ready to cry. I can also note that my mother suffers from this as well, she too has sinus issues which are exaserbated by smoking and the "lump" only showed up when her brother got killed 6 years ago and my sister went off the rails. My mother has had the camera down the throat etc and the doctors have told her she has mild reflux and put her on zantac (Ranatadine) or they have advised her she has Fibromyalgia which is like been perscribed antibiotics because your doctor doesn't know what's really wrong and told her to do pilates.

If I could advise anything from what I have seen my mum go through in the last 6 years is, between all the xrays, catscans and camera's,  try and be as stress free as possible (which is hard in todays day and age. I have found not watching Dooms Day news programs useful) and avoid taking to many perscription medications as the percieved co-symptoms of the "lump" become real medical issues because the body can't function without the meds.

I hope this helps atleast one person. I shall keep you all informed about how I go.

Sanctuary

I have the same issue and I don't drink tea or coffee.

I am amazed and somewhat relieved that I am not the only one with this horrible sensation of having a lump in my throat. The tight feeling sometimes turns into a what feels like a mild spasm which appears to alter my oxygen level. Interestingly it has also been three years now, like most of these posts...I first thought, when the sharp pain on the left side of my chest started, that it was my heart. Then I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and have been taking anti acid meds 40mg every morning for 3 years, but suddenly the lump in my throat started. It comes and goes. Change of season seems to affect me plus I have the feeling that hay fever may have something to do with it, mixed with stress and/or lack of sleep. I am a smoker, which is indeed crazy, but managed to give up hard liquor and spicy foods (with a few exceptions here and there).

It is extremely frustrating and debilitating. I just started a new job and feel really concerned it will just get worse again. I had the thyroid tests done a year and a half ago and that seems fine.

The thing is it started as a lump and has evolved to pressure, tightening or spasm and chest discomfort. It really annoys me and I am fed up with being told it is acid reflux. Then why does this lumpy sensation go away and come back? I know I have acid reflux and that if I don't take my medication I get the sharp pain on the left side of my chest, but this pressure in the throat has to be triggered by something else!

One thing which may help is humid temperature. I live in Switzerland, which is not super humid, but when I travel to Asia, particularly Thailand, Hong Kong, etc., my symptoms are virtually non existent.

So, we all clearly need to do something because it is horrible. At least reading and writing about this is helpful for my mental health because I have been so paranoid about cancer, nevertheless it is still there coming back each time and haunting me and drives me insane. Then I analyze it and it just seems to get worse. Honestly I am happiest and don't think about it / feel it after a second glass of wine, which is quite sad! I don't drink every day, but realize it helps.

Best of luck to you all and keep writing!

I understand what you are all going through as I have the same, I am wondering now if being a bit constipated causes more flegm, so from now on I am never going to ignore the need to go.

I also have an annoying constant inability to clear my throat. It's gross and as I am a teacher a serious problem in my career. Have any of you looked into Laryngopharyngeal reflux? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngopharyngeal_reflux

I had this exact problem.  I had a lump in my throat and got rid of it without surgery so I figured I would tell you all what worked for me so you can try it.  I had the lump for a few days before I decided to go see a doctor hoping it would go away on it's own.  I started to drive myself crazy fearing cancer and all the other terrible stuff you find when you google it.  The doctor told me not to worry and that the lump in my throat happens A LOT.  He said if it was cancer, I would be a one in a million case.  So don't panic, it's more common than you think.  All he did was feel around my throat and made me open my mouth and say AHHH.  They did normal stuff like take blood pressure, monitor heartbeat, listen to heart and breathing.  He told me it may be caused by acid reflux.  Now, I had absolutely NO PAIN, no soreness, no trouble breathing or swallowing.  Sometimes my throat would be a bit dry.  It was just an annoying lump just above my adams apple...it felt like it was on my tongue further off to my right.  It was big enough that it almost tripped my gag reflex one day a few times.  Even without the sensation of burning that acid reflux causes he still thought acid reflux may be causing it.  Without getting so much as a needle, I walked out the door with a prescription and some other things to do.  The pills he gave me are small 40mg tablets called "PANTOPRAZOLE."  All I had to do was take one a day until the 34 pills were gone.  While you are on this medication, there's alot of food and drink restrictions.  Here's a list of things you need to avoid: 

Alcohol, Cigarettes, Coffee, Tea, Chocolate, Acidic drinks and food, Spicy food, Fried foods.  Only side effect: diarreha (which I only had once)

Some may have to drastically change their diet and habits to work with this but it's WORTH it for one month to get rid of the lump.

Now the doctor had me cover other bases at the same time.  He said stress can also cause it so I should avoid stressful situations when I can.  I basically hit the "I don't care" button a lot.  Laugh stuff off and if you know you are going to be walking into stressful situations, don't.  I also took multi-vitamins everyday along with A LOT of vitamin C.  This giving my body a chance to fight off whatever was there naturally if the medication didn't do it.  I also took "Oil of oregano" once a day which is supposed to help with illness, especially in the throat.

I'm just listing everything I can think of that I did, hoping whatever worked for me can work for you.  I did all this for the first week with NO results.  Around day 10, the lump seemed to be smaller and I was noticing it less.  Day 11 or 12, The lump was GONE.  I currently have a week left on the medication which I will continue to take until it's done.  As of right now the lump in my throat is gone.  I was fearing surgery because I hate hospitals, needles, everything like that so I'm happy it was easily dealt with.

Hopefully this works for you because I know how frustrated I was with the lump in my throat and wanted nothing more than to get rid of it.  Ask your doctor to prescribe you "PANTOPRAZOLE" and do all the other stuff I talked about.  GOOD LUCK.

Hello to everyone suffering from the throat lump.  I have too for probably 8 yrs.  It is so frustrating and irritating.  I have always been in great shape.  Then to my doctors and I's surprise, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and have been to several doctors and no help.  About 3 months ago I started a gluten free diet.  I had a tough time going 100% because I still craved my gluten enjoyments.  Basically, each week I did about 90%.  I have fought the thyroid medicine since it made me feel worse.  So my thyroid level was 13.50 without medicine which I tested before I starting gluten free.  Doing about 90% my level came down to 6.50 after 3 months and a bunch of my symptoms were subsiding.  I am going to test it again in 3 months by doing a 100% gluten free diet.  I found out my Vit. D was low (blood test) and believe my vit. b/calcium were low too.  I took these supplements (gluten free) and felt much better.  I read if you have problems with gluten you can have trouble absorbing vitamins and minerals through your intestines.  However, the LUMP would not leave driving me crazy.  I read about dairy causing this.  I took out all dairy and within a 3 days I noticed it was feeling better.  Within 7 days it was completely gone.  I tested to see if this was causing the lump by drinking 2 glasses of milk and ate 8 slices of cheese in one day.  The next day the lump was back.  Whether or not this is the cure for hypothyroid and the lump I have no idea.  But it has definitely changed the way I feel.  I am feeling great with energy, nail growth, hair growth, not hungry all the time, and I can even get a tan in the sun among other great feelings.   I am so thankful I have read about gluten free and dairy because I so needed relief like all of you are looking for.  I have also read sulfites can cause the lump but I took those out and had no relief.  Hope this helps.  If anyone tries this and it helps can you please post your results.  I would be curious to know if it helps.

I was suffering with this for quite some time and my breathing was not good and my heart was sometimes going too fast. I had been smoking for 23 years - up to like 200'000 cigarettes in my life and decided to quit. Since then, now 38 days, I have no issues. I can even drink more alcohol. Therefore, smoking DEFINATELY is a cause of the lump so if you or anyone with this is smoking, if you want to get rid of it, you need to stop smoking cigarettes which apart from the tar have up to 5300 toxic ingredients...If you are not smoking, stay away from alcohol and spice for at least 2 months and start your day with quinoa. Many things you can cook with this and it helps your acidity... ***this post is edited by
moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use

Ah and yes stress definitely does not help. YOGA every day and sport every other day minimum!

I also have this feeling of contstant phlem in my throat. It started after I came down with the flu three years ago and the phlem never went away. except when I lie down, it goes away. So at leat I can sleep at night. Every morning when I wake up, it feels normal but as soon as I drink anything, I feel that phlem in my throa againt. It bothers me so much that I have to clear my throat and cough constantly and then before the day is over I feel exhausted. I feel so disabled at times because I have to constantly lie down or it gets worst. Also, when I'm out, I get so embarrassed when I'm constantly asked "are you okay?" or "do you want some water?". I've seen so many doctors and Specialist. I've done Pulminary test to see if I have Asma and it was negative. The ENT looked down my nose and throat with a scope and didn't see anything. The second ENT said it was nerves and perscribed Amitriptlyne which helped me for a couple weeks but then it came back again. I went to a Gastro doctor and he did an Endoscopy and found I have Acid Reflux and a Hyatis Hernya. The doctor perscribed Nexium and I took that regularly and it did not help the phlem and it gave me stomach aches so I stopped. I live in Hawaii so it's pretty humid and when I go to Vegas, I don't feel the phlem as much. It's either because of the dry weather or I'm not as stressedin Vegas as I am at home. The next thing I'm going to try is Acupuncture, Yoga and getting more excercise. Wish me luck!

Sorry to hear about your aggravation. I posted under Cation33 about 1 week ago. Please read my post. I had test after test down my throat always negative (which I am thankful for..I definitely didn't want something serious like cancer) and medicines after medicines and nothing helped my lump either. My path was first diagnosed with hypothyroid with the lump. As you probably read I followed the celiac diet which is definitely helping my thyroid. However, still the nagging lump. I read about dairy causing mucus lumps in your throat and took it all out. Within about 3 days I was feeling better and a week it was gone. I retested over several occasions and 1 time I ate and drank a ton of dairy (milk and cheese..l lb of cheese to be exact). That night into the morning the lump showed back up. When I do eat dairy it last for about 3 days then goes away. But it makes me feel tired and miserable too. Maybe try to take Dairy out. Its an inexpensive way to check and heaven knows the dr's as of now are not helping which I completely share your frustration. I just wish someone shared this with me about 8 yrs ago. Hope this helps. If not, I hope you find the cure soon because it stinks to feel terrible.

Anyone else who may be going through this - it is likely Cricophayengeal spasm. I know, because this plagued me for years (I'm 26 now).

Google and read about it. The good news is that it does go away. Excessive swallowing makes the constriction worse, and you feel like there is something stuck so you keep trying to swallow. Don't.

The best way to get past this is to not think about it. I know that can be hard though. It causes intense anxiety, and anxiety in turn makes the constriction worse. It's a vicious cycle. I did begin developing panic attacks for it - especially since I was told it was all in my head since Thyroid tests came back normal (I am hypothyroid, but under medication for it, and it was NOT the cause surprisingly).

What helps is knowing what is wrong. It's not your thyroid, tonsils, etc. (all of these things are bad for me, but in the end are not the root cause). Of course you should have a doctor check these things - but if they say it's not these things causing the issue, it's probably not.

When you get the feeling, it helps to have a glass of water by you. Do not excessively swallow. When you feel you must swallow, take a gulp of water and swallow with the water. This tricks your brain into thinking you're accomplishing something (swallowing something down) and will alleviate the issue eventually. Warm packs and warm liquids can also help sooth the spasming muscle.

Don't panic - this is a normal condition and it does resolve itself. You must first learn how to not panic when feeling it. Then, master swallowing properly. Read about the issue and it will resolve itself (occasionally coming back only during stressful times and quickly passing).

This may not apply to everyone, but those who are stressed a lot and have had tests done that came back normal - it may well apply to you. It is a lesser-diagnosed issue and very scary - but harmless in the end.

I am an 18 year old female, who has been experiencing similar symptoms; lump in troat (around trachea), severe headaches, shortness of breath, since I graduated high school. All these symtpoms make me feel extremely anxious, which make everything even worse as the time passes and I end up screaming and crying my eyes out for a good 5 minutes until its gone. I get these episodes at least three times a week and I don't want a doctor to charge me $200 for something I could have handled myself. I workout 3-5 times a week and my BMI is around 23.5 so I doubt it has anything to do with lack of physical activity.

Please! ANYONE! Im open to any suggestions or ideas, that may help stop this.

HI HUN I HAD A SALTFISH BONE STUCK IN MY THROAT LAST YEAR AND THEY DIDNT GET IT OUT AND SINCE LAST YEAR IV HAD A LUMP AND SWELLING WERE THE BONE WAS LOCATED THE DOCTORS DIDNT FIND IT WHEN I HAD BEEN PUT TO SLEEP BUT SINCE LAST YEAR IV STILL GOT THIS FEELING THAT WHEN I LIFT UP MY HEAD I GET A DIGGING IN MY THROAT AND I HAVE A BIG LUMP AND SWELLING NOW IM HAVING SCANS DONE BUT STILL NO JOY IN THEM FINDING IT YET I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL DO THESE DOCTORS KNOW WHAT THERE DOING REALLY THEY MESSED MY NECK UP WITH THE CAMERA AND NOW I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO.

I too have a lump in my throat and have for about a year.  I feel like I have food stuck in my throat right where my larynx is.  I am a thin, healthy female that follows a good diet.  I was told my lump was caused by post nasal phlegm caused my seasonal allergies and acid reflux and was prescribed allergy and acid reflux Rx.  Neither were successful in eliminating the lump in my throat.  I finally discovered that I have a gluten intolerance, I have eliminated gluten from my diet, and the lump is shrinking.  I have only been gluten free for 2 days but I am gaining relief from my lump and feel encouraged that it may go away!  Here's to hoping!  I will update and let you know but if you have exhausted all efforts and haven't tried to eliminate gluten, I would suggest it.  I have heard story after story about similar circumstances in other people, and it really couldn't hurt to try and eliminate gluten from your diet.  It definitely can't hurt!  It takes a while to detox your body from gluten, but if it is truly a gluten intolerance, the symptoms should really be eliminated in 7-14 days.