I have had similar problems with the feeling of phlegm at the back of my throat that I cannot get rid of. I am already on a gluten-free diet and rarely eat/drink cow's milk products. I also have the feeling that I cannot breathe through my sinuses and often feel like I am having trouble getting air. I am an athlete and I have no problem breathing when I am active. It often feels as though I have swallowed air in my stomach and I can breathe better if I belch and usually have trouble bringing up a burp. There are often times when I felt I could not even swallow water because of a blockage. I am also quite a varacious snorer. Menthol nasal remedies and throat drops seem to help a bit.

I only drink purified water, but I seem to react after a shower. Perhaps I should look into a special filtering system.

Hey guys.. i am also a guy in my early 20s and I was all fine ... for past 5 or 6 years ive had swallowing problems ... like when i am hungry and i dnt think dat i have swallowing problem .. everything goes in well but as soon as i start feeling abit full .. the foood starts to get stuck in my throat, well dat was for the past years but for past 3 or 4 months.. i started getting this lump sorta feeling in my throat .. and the feeling is also sorta like.. when you eat food sometimes and it goes down in ur chest slowly and u have to drink water.. or sometimes when u r really upset dat u wana cry but u dont and u softa feel like a lump in the throat..my symptoms are not much bothering me when i m not doing sports.. since i am a soccer player and play heaps.. now i cant even play a full game cuz if i run and put pressure on me.. i get the feeling of there is phelem in my throat and i try to cough it out but nothing comes out.. i even try to throw up but nothing comes out.. i dnt know wat it is.. i hve down barrium swallow and gastroscopy and nothing was wrong.. so if anyone can tell me wat should i do?

i will be really thankful

Check into Eosinophilic esophagitis. A friends son may have this and I had never heard of it, but doing some research into it, it seems that many people have it. I was having a lump in my throat feeling for a while them I eliminated gluten and it went away.

When I was in the 7th grade I got the feeling of a lump in my throat. My parents took me to our PCP and nothing was there. It went away a few months later, but it messed w/my head. After all of these years (I'm 42) it has returned and it's been a week. My feeling is on the right side down by my clavical (collar bone). The lump goes up and down when I swallow. I have found if I twist my toungue and place it on my gums toward the back molars it relieves the pressure. I went to thearpy for 8 years in my early 20's and found out it was stress related. Valium works for me, which is a muscle relaxer. When I'm really upset a good cry helps too. I'm so happy I found more people out there that feels the same thing. For the longest time I felt like I was going crazy.

I've had a couple days of relief. I just wanted it to go away, not caring about the cause - so I tried everything at once. No aspartame, no MSG, no dairy (lactose), no gluten, extra water all now in bottles, light exercise, moderated sodium, meditation, anti-anxiety drugs along with antidepressants, (low level) Synthroid, changed deodorant, no cologne, focused posture, and prayer. If the lump at 100% was when it was the worst, I would say it's at <5% right this second. Now I'm expecting it to taper off because if I was lactose intolerant, I might still need a day or two more to clear my system completely.

I felt the same odd sensation of a "lump" in my throat three days ago & it has not gone away. Today i went to the Dr. & they sent me for a Thyroid Ultrasound... Other than an enlarged Thyroid, my Dr. told me the only other explantion would be anxiety. Anxiety runs in my family and i was already aware that it affected me, so i talked to the people in my family with it and my aunt advised me that she ALWAYS has a "lump" in the throat. She advised me to go the WalMart & purchase Equate (its the WalMart off brand) Alergy Relief 10mg, non-drowsy... I took it five hours ago and the "lump" feeling is gone. She thinks it has to do with sinus drainage & anxiety. Totally weird... Try that and see if it works. I was convinced i had some kind of cancer of the throat & when i would think about it, i felt like the lump sensation would get worse. When i went to the Dr. today and had to lay down on the bed, i almost gagged because the lump sensation was so bad. Hopefully this will help you too.

Hello everyone. I am a 13-year old male who is experiencing acid reflux. When I first got acid reflux I
had been trying to go to sleep. I started shaking uncontrollably and it felt like there was a lump in my
throat. I discovered that it was acid reflux and that the acid in my throat was causing a muscle spasm
throat muscles. Taking anti-acids help and taking benedryls as a muscle relaxant help to. I get worried
whenever the lump feeling starts to show up, causing anxiety to make it worse. I ended up deciding to
see if my medicine would cure it, but before I could even start taking the medicines, this happened. I was
just sitting on my couch looking for a way to get rid of the lump feeling when I did something. I don't know
what I did but it made my lump in throat feeling go away, to be replaced by the feeling that there is mucus
running down the back of my throat, just above the adams apple. Also, when I swallow, it feels like there is
mucus trying to go down my throat. I'm going to try coughing up the mucus. But I also have this. It is a sort of
calmness that I have never experienced before. I've always felt on edge, but now, I'm just... Calm. I tried playing
Black Ops to get the anger rising because of the amount of unfair deaths I have. ( Guy not looking at me but still kills me,
knife when looking away from me, etc ) This calmness is not my thing and I wanna get rid of it now. Also, my
head started to feel a little heavy. Any ideas?

http://www.fauquierent.net/lpr.htm 

Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR)

First off majority are right, stress and diet are all contributions to these attacks. This is something like acid reflux GERD however instead of stopping, it actually reaches the throat and disturbs your esophagus. Its just the way the cookie crumbles, after that you gotta realize certain things will bother you unless you control it and let your body heal for 3 months possibly 6. I do not take medication I refuse anyhow heres my story.....

I'm a 22 year old, healthy male (I do have asthma and allergies by the way). I have done a lot of crazy stuff in my life, put a lot of toxins in my body (smoking, drinking, drugs, supplements etc). Couple years ago I started getting very bad anxiety caused by a stressful job and lifestyle, drove myself to the hospital couple times thought I was going to die. Turns out my anxiety was caused by stress and worsened when acid reflux added to a shortness of breath. I have a partial Hiatal Hernia due to weight lifting/ excersice (Straining with weights doesnt help). Anyhow stress, anxiety, acid reflux all lead to the symptoms you all have: Panic attacks, panic attacks at night, shortness of breath, lump in throat, light headed dizziness, acid reflux, thinking I'm going to die etc. I for one do not believe in medication, I use herbs, Ive cut off all toxins into my body, and relieve stress any way possible. So heres what I've done.....

Fennel seeds (taste like licorice) reduce acid reflux almost instantaniously, seriously though it works. If I'm going to eat something that will bother me I chew on a teaspoon of seeds before I eat (also found in pill forms at health stores if you dont like blakc licorice)

Cuncumbers (great for digestion)

Chamomile Tea (Reduces lung inflamation/ allergic reactions....great for asthma sufferers)

Green Tea (Great for antioxidents)

SpearMint (Helps anxiety to calm you down)

Ginger (good for stumach function)

Fibres (Benefit digestion and stumach function)

Yogurt (keeps you regular ;).....oh and probiotics are great)

Plantains (Great for allergies)

APPLE A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR A WAY (apple/ apple cidar...ok so most of the time when you have acid reflux, its because your stumach doesnt have enough acid to digets your food, apples replace the acid so it kind of evens you out. I eat one every day)

Drink alot of fluids, your body uses water to help the acids digest your foods, doesnt mean drinks loads. You want to drink the regular 8-10 glasses a day, stay hydrated. Too much of a good thing is a bad thing, you drink too much water it comes up when you burp brigning up acid too.

Watch your posture, when having breathing attacks, straighten your back shoulders back relax, most likely you will burp.

DO NOT goto bed after eating

IF you lift weights try not to strain (I still lift hard but I'm careful with form)

Anyhow these are things I follow. Hopefully they help you all if not.....hey what do I know I'm no doctor :p (but seriously they help me)

Hi all

I too started having the same lump in the throat feeling earlier this year. I went to my GP who after a clean ultrasound of my throat referred me to an ENT. The ENT had me undergo an x-ray of my throat which basically led him to diagnose me with GORD. I however think it's infact a food allergy and that rather than it being a lump, my throat becomes swollen and therefore much more sensitive to the lumps and bumps of the throat. I currently think I am allergic to rice, but not sure if this is all.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers
SM

I have been having throat problems 4 the past 7 months. I've had so many problems such as feeling like there is a lump in my throat, tightness, difficulty breathing, problems swallowing, feeling as though my throat is terribly swollen and the list goes on.

I've been to 4 different doctors. The first 3 had no idea of what could be going on. The last doctor i went to said my symptoms could've been caused by acid reflux. I was put on Losec but stopped using it after a while as it wasn't helping in the slightest.

I was an anxiety sufferer 4 many years but i got help and i haven't had 1 panic attack since and i never get as stressed as i used to.

I've had a blood test done but it came back clear.

I've never had throat problems be4 all of this. This has been going on 4 that long that i have forgotten what a normal throat feels like.

Apart from the blood test i haven't had any other tests done.

I'm going to see an acid reflux specialist early next month. Hopefully he'll suggest i should get more tests done.

Sorry i know this doesn't help u much. Other people on this site are experiencing what u and i r. Everyone's throat problems seem to be a mystery.

I have had this lump in my throat for years as well. I have been to an allergest and two ENT'S...they all say it is due to the acid reflux I have. I take omprezole the acid control. I also use the netipot when needed. Sometimes I can clear my throat by gargling warm salt water, but, it is only temporary as is the netipot! This IS terrible to live with and it has really affected my quality of life. I sometimes cough up small bits of green phlegm. I gag at times where I almost throw up trying to expel it. It's disgusting and I have given up trying to get a specialist to find a cure and what this is. Why can't these doctors figure this out? I plan to email Dr. Oz about this dilemma!

Ive had this lump in my throat for a while over eight years. Often have phlegm and feels like i am going to choke all the time. I am not giving up on finding the cause. Working on a CT scan. I am wondering if it's my lymph nodes? The lump is always there. Sometimes worse than other days. It's annoying for sure. Good luck with it-

I have Had an odd sensation in my throat like there is somthing there for a year, and some acid reflux stuff which I have had all my life. I would say that these syptoms are linked to hypothyroidism in me, and maybe in a fair few other people here. It interests me how consistant these symptoms are in people posting on this thread, and that I like many people here derive little to no benefit from the anti acid drugs. I also think its made worse by stress and possibly dairy products (a new theory I have). I reccomend non fizzy ginger extracts, and drinks. this paper has led me to think that milk proteins may be a factor (if the link holds in adults) http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/110/5/972.abstract, take a look here too:http://www.ehow.com/about_5470737_milk-allergy-acid-reflux-disease.html.

Can I suggest that people experiencing these syptoms try excluding milk, and if anyone is interested in doing more investigation perhaps post here?

I have this too but I am getting help with body-mind healing! I have Post traumatic Stress syndrome and this is causing me to be ill in many ways. Symbolically the throat is about expression. I work with my therapist on releasing stuck expression from the severe traumas I experienced. Just a thought! Don't know but it might help! You're not alone! Janet

I HAVE THE SAME THING. POST NASAL DRIP FEELING ALSO CAUSING COUGHING AND GAGGING. LOOK UP LPR - I HAD A TEST THAT PROVED THAT I HAD THIS CONDITION. (LAYRNXPHARYNXREFLUX) SPELLING IS INCORRECT BUT CLOSE.