I to had this problem and was diagnosed with esophageal spastic sphincter. They said it could be stress related. I was put on Librax. I was supposed to take it three times a day but found that I only need it once a day. If I feel it starting up I will take another pill. It helped me and I really hope this helps you!

I have similar problem. Can't swallow food. Haven't seen any doctor. Tried Chinese herbs.. quiTe worried. I consumed coffee with milk as health supplement. That was how I got the pain

Hi there Subaru. I too had this thing emerge out of nowhere. Lump in throat feeling. I got it out of nowhere in July and went in and out of dr's with no answers. I saw my dr, ENT, allergy and they all claimed their field of problems. Allergist said I was allergic to certain things that I never had problems with before. But I bought the beddings, the covers and such for dustmites, still no change in lump in throat. I went to ENT who noted not GERD but LPR and offered omeprazole instead of ranitadine. I used the ranitadine (zantac for 2 mos and nothing improved. waste of money), but he said to use it till it ran out with the other omeprazole. I didn't notice a change till I started developing hives (I'm allergic, but didn't know till last Friday. It was two weeks into both zantac generic and prilosec geenric did I develop hives. However, my swallowing improved and I was able to eat again like a normal person without clearing throat. I have stopped for the last 4 days of omeprazole and the throat issue returned, so I'm sure the ENT was right it's LPR and I hate someone being right, but if the exact symptom returns and I'm off a med that I'm allergic to then deductive reasoning suggests there's a solution, but what?

I hate meds. I hate diagnoses unless there's a cure or simple solution. I haven't had any replies back from dr's as they all have been ignoring me. I am looking at natural ways. I bough ACV (apple cider vinegar when a friend suggested it) it worked for a day or two, but I still try at last resort when others have failed. I used water like it was my life line but lemon water caused my throat to squeeze and constrict that I felt I was suffocating and couldn't swallow normally. I began to panic for fear not out of safety. Dr's laughed noting I was being silly and that I wouldn't die. I dare them to experience what we have. I tried teas, nope. I tried the first med, nope. The allergist gave me several nasal sprays and one saline mist over the counter, Ocean Spray was cheap and it did work for a couple days, but then the problem got worse. I begged for blood tests, urine tests and nasal checkup, but nothing. I then got another nasal spray medication but most made my nose bleed. Azelastine worked for 2-3 days and then nothing. Apparently my body hates meds. Then teh omeprazole began to work and with ranitadine I didn't see teh hives as badly, but without it I get covered in head to toe. Not sure which was worse, not able to swallow eat and breathe or hives itching all over and suffering from pain ten fold. I researched like the dickens to find something. I came across across similar to ours and this is what they said...

To avoid LPR or GERD symptoms naturally find digenstive enzymes. They note to find ingredients bromelain, papain, amylase, then another supplement with betaine HCL with pepsin in conjunction with a probiotic. It's like double duty, but it's healthy solution as every needs probiotics unless you're allergic. Get checked before going this route. I found that one supplement is price friendly and include4d all but probiotc in it at super supplements. $14.99 for 180 tablets by Solaray. There are others. Find which works for you. I am planning on buying that this week. I can't stand this feeling in my throat with the other meds that I pay for at a pretty penny. The culturelle is what my personal dr recommended for probiotic. Costco sells a large package for much cheaper than those vitamin stores. I'm sure you can find lots of acidophillus but they note must be 8billionlive cultures, so anything less won't really hit the spot. They note probiotics regualtes immune, acids, fats and such. The other supplement helps with blocking acids and breaks down things smaller to absorb and pass through so your body isn't working too hard. They also note when stressed to take the magnesium supplement, but I prefer food sources, so look up foods that have strong magnesium and add that when stressed. I eat a lot of veggies, but drink alot of soda. I can see why my stomach is doing what it's doing but if this solves it, then I should go into natural medicaine. ;) I met all teh clinical symptoms voice change, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, lump in throat, excessive mucus that wouldn't pass or come up, post nasal drip feeeling, bad taste in mouth and no heartburn. Tehy also note stress can do this too. I got the stress from this and it was hurting my work life, activity life, and home life. Hope this helps you. Summary: Get supplements if you can't take omeprazole but it works within a month or 2. I can't and getting off it has noted many side effects according to many articles and FDA, so the supplement, probitics and food are the safest bets. And, overall cheaper on the pocket. I hope this helps you as someoen may have helped me. All the best.-T.

Im 14 and have got these 2 lumps like balls in the back on my throat and i find it hard to breathe somethings and somthings i cant even breathe through my mouth so i have to breathe through my nose? Ive had it for like 2 mouths now and it's getting worse everyday!!

The white is proobably yeast infection.

I also have this feeling of mucus in my throat and feel I must clear my throat constantly all day every day for the past 6 years. It can be very embarrassing in public, as people think I'm sick, ask if I'm okay, if I need glass of water etc. I too have had the cameras down into my stomach and found that I have a hiatus hernia. The doctors never say it's related. I've seen two ENT specialist, one says nerves and gave me an anti depressant Elavil that helps me to sleep through the night. Actually when I lie down my mucus in my throat does go away. When I wake in the morning it will start again after an hour. I've seen a gastroenterologist who said I have acid reflux but taken the pills for a year and didn't help either. I've seen an allergist who said I'm allergic to dust mites causing an allergic asthma so he gave me an inhaler with steroids and that doesn't help either. I have an appointment to see a chiropractor first week of January and will let you know. (Patty age 59).

Hey guy and girls jus going to through this out there if you ran out of options look up oven cleaner poisoning

Just like to say . . . Glad I am not the only one with these symptoms. Mine have only been bothering me for a few months, but my hubby says that is about as long my snoring has got a lot worse to the point I am sleeping downstairs occasionally as he has to be up early for work and am paranoid that I am constantly disturbing him. I also feel very wary of going to sleep and sit up for hours sometimes just to avoid sleeping. I too have a hiatus hernia and am on medication (sorry cant remember name begins with a P) and feel like I constantly have rubbish at the back of my throat, mainly right side. Also when I eat certain things, like mince beef, rice or similar it feels like some of it has remained in my throat, probably not but feels like it. Really starting to annoy me now!

Oftentimes we have systemic issues going on that produce weird symptoms - lump in throat, heartburn/GERD, joint pain, sinus problems, fuzzy brain, fatigue, etc. 

By sheer accident I went on a gluten-free diet that also happened to eliminate dairy awhile back when I was having all of the above symptoms. Basically I went on it because I felt like c**p all the time, tired, and wanted to lose 10 pounds. I didn't really go on it for the "gluten free" part, but just to get started with a clean diet. They were purchased, fresh meals.

Crazily, ALL OF MY SYMPTOMS disappeared within a week of going on this gluten free/dairy free diet. I have had two endoscopic sinus surgeries for chronic sinusitis that has persisted for 15 years, severe environmental allergies, and pretty bad PMS. Everything went away - sinus issues, PMS, fatigue, heartburn, lump in throat. 

So I felt better for a long time by reducing gluten in my diet and recently sort of fell off the wagon and ate a LOT of gluten and just didn't watch my diet at all. Everything returned - but most problematic was the heartburn, sinus, and constant lump in my throat. 

I went on an elimination diet (you can Google that or watch a show on it on Dr. Oz' website) to try and figure out what actually is causing my issues - dairy, gluten, caffeine, alcohol? 

My symptoms went away AGAIN after about 5 days on the elimination diet. Today I reintroduced dairy this morning and got the lump back immediately after drinking it. I have no idea at this point if there are other food sensitivities other than dairy that are causing my issues, but at least I have found one culprit! 

My best advice to everyone who is experiencing chronic issues like this is to look further than your GP - they will not prescribe an elimination diet, nor will they offer the advice of probiotics, or other non-Rx treatments. You are on your own! By using the process of elimination, I bet that the vast majority of issues people are experiencing in this thread can be traced back to diet and lifestyle. Be careful with PPIs or antacids because they are just covering up whatever your body is trying to tell you.... 

Alcohol/substance withdrawal?

it is great to hear about the clicking sound in your throat as i woke up after a foot operation and have had the feeling of catach stuck in my throat and it is so uncomfortable,i now have a chest cold and coughing but this feeling of catar in my throat is still there i find it hard to swollow and when i take tablets they seem to get stuck but eventally they go down

HEY YOU ALL, THE CAUSE IS CAFFEINE USUALLY FROM COFFEE BUT CAN ALSO BE INDUCED BY TEA AND PILLS. STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY, IT USUALLY ACCOMPANIES ANXIETY AND PANIC. ITS THE SAME LUMP YOU GET IN THE THROAT WHEN YOU ARE about TO CRY, IT IS NOT A FACTOR OF STOMACH ACIDS. USUALLY LONG PERIODS OF CARIO CAN GET RID OF IT. LIKE RUNNING AT 120-130BPM FOR 35 MINUTES. IT HAPPENS TO ME WITHOUT FAIL IF I DRINK COFFEE. GOOD LUCK. IVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS FOR 25 YEARS, IT IS PRESENT MOSTLY WHEN I AM A LITTLE STRESSED (ALWAYS) IT TOOK ME 15 YEARS TO FIGURE IT OUT.

If you are under stress it's likely anxiety and stress. Google global hystericus. It's a condition that occurs from anxiety and worry. Try going to a therapist, learning relaxation strategies and remind your mind it is not dangerous and its from stress. Could be gerd too but if u have tried antacids and u still feel it it's likely anxiety! Hope you feel better soon!!

I also have had a lump in my throat it goes away when I stop dairy after a few days. If I quit for a while 2-3 months and start again,the lump is back after a week or so...

Hi, had same problem for 5 yrs. Seen ENT too many times to count. No one could figure it out. I would have major panic attacks from this golf ball feeling in my throat. Went to family Dr (long story behind that) and he said it was a chemical in balance in my brain. Was given Zoloft and 2 weeks later it was gone.