i posted on this site a few weeks ago because i was showing a lot of the signs of pregnancy. the other day three weeks after my period was due i came on very heavily but i kept feeling like i wanted to cry the whole time. i just wanted to know how i would find out because i never got chance to take a pregnancy test

I confess, it does kind of sound that way, having had three partners (in thirty years, dare I say - I'm 50) experience miscarriage, and basically yes, it's like a heavy period, after symptoms of pregnancy, with an emotional hit. I'd say that about perfectly described their experience. And as you point out, without a 'yes' in between, it's difficult to see how you can ever really know, 'was it real'.

Nevertheless, it occurs to me (in the absence of any other opinion or information) that the pregnancy test is not there to test whether the cells are still present, but whether one of the hormones created uniquely for and by pregnancy is present. Even though the cells have apparently gone, if they were ever present, your body probably (if it was recent) still carries traces of the changes, if your body did indeed change to sustain that pregnancy.

In short, a pregnancy test may still show positive. Ultimately it's down to the specifics of how and when certain hormones are created, and when they are flushed. You may wish to check out pregnancy test (manufacturer) websites, see if they answer this question directly, or ask them this question directly.

For want of the cost of a test (I don't know how much they cost, esp in US), you might check it out, try it, just for your own curiosity.

You know in your heart you're no longer pregnant, but to know that you have that capability, and came close, is a powerful emotional pull that I can relate to, just for reasons of my own. There are no side effects to being curious, barring learning, so why not give it a try, see what you learn.

oh thats what i was worried about.i suppose in a way it cud be a good thing. are you the same person who commented on my other post?

let me check - yes indeed, hiya.

I will share with you something from my own experience: in thirty years (I'm 50), I've had three partners, one at 25, one at 35, one at 45, roughly - no particular rhyme or reason for evenness, just approximation - who have experienced miscarriages. They were all exceptional women (the first a world-champion powerboat racer and pilot, the second a lead violinist, the third a strong and determined mother, my partner of 7 years, and for whose daughter I have been a second daddy since age 3, she's now 10).

What is interesting though is that in each case, our passion and connection had not gelled into life-partnership: in the first, she was amazing, but - it turned out - already had a boyfriend, she just wanted my baby; in the second, after three days of being told what I was thinking, I'd have to escape and fly back to England to actually be able to think in peace; in the third, she wanted a provider more than an adult (sex) partner; so in all three cases, while there was love and passion (first two) or affection and loyalty (third), in none of them did we manage to find all three.

You'd only be human to wonder what's wrong with me, and the answer is a lot, maybe, but here's the metaphysical / new age / spiritual twist:

They wanted to be pregnant, they wanted a baby, but in each case we had not gelled into the partnership that would provide a natural, loving, supportive environment for that baby. I have paid for and been a second daddy for seven years, so it isn't as simple as lack of commitment: it is about a fulfilling life for you, your partner, and your child.

So nature - which makes no sense to science or if you have no experience of metaphysics / new age / spirituality - essentially said, you know, I get your request (to be pregnant) and I'll grant your request, but you do know it's not really going to work out, and I'm not sure you really want to raise a child that way.

So they got the pregnancy, learned what they learned, felt what they felt, and then they miscarried, and continued with life, wiser, more experienced.

It's just a story.

... and technical insight: if you see a name, then that's basically one individual, not a panel of advisers, so yes, if you see jeremiaz, that's me.

Take care.

ok well thanks for all the help. i just thought i reconized the name before.

i still keep feeling sick and dizzy and all the other stuff i said on my post. is that normal?

You'd have to do some research on that - google and wiki miscarriage, after effects, etc.

Your body's having to adjust from one mode to another, and it's pretty heavy stuff, so some reaction of that nature wouldn't seem unusual, as long as you have no other physical issues - pain, bleeding - but I'm not a doctor, just an experienced adult. If it were me, I'd be inclined to ride it out for a couple of days, being careful, not stressing, appreciating that my body might need time to adjust.

On day three, I'd get myself down to a doctor or clinic. Ask your parents, or call a cab, don't walk or take transport when you're dizzy, if you can avoid it. Your parents don't have to know why - people are allowed to get sick, food poisoning, whatever.

... and by the way, you're going through a lot. I admire your common sense and staying with it, rational I mean. Good for you.

ok thank you. just wish id known this before my drama exam

is there anywhere in the uk i could go today or tomorrow because im working and i feel so dizzy i keep feeling like im going to colapse

Yeah. Hospital. Walk into the A&E - Accident and emergency - explain your situation and how you feel.

Right now, drink some water, eat a bar of chocolate, or a protein shake or something, if you can, before you go.

No matter where you work, you need to explain that sorry, you feel faint and need to go the hospital.

If they have any decency, they'll drive you there yourself or order a cab for you.

Please.

right thank you. i did end up colapsing into a booksheef but im all right and on way to hospital now

very glad to hear it.

they said that im not pregnant now but thy dont know about before and that i did have low blood pressure for a bit