I keep hearing different opinions and precautions of smoking while pregnant, in comparison to regular smoking and drinking, can some one give me an accurate account of possible or probable damage to the child

from what i have heard, smoking marijuana during pregnancy can cause slightley lower birth weight, and can cause problems in the nervous system. there is no solid evidance that the child doesn't grow up normally, but i think it's better to be safe than sorry.

the effects are very similar to smoking cigarettes (as long as the pot isn't
"laced" with other drugs which is a common thing) and just like cigarettes some babys are born very healthy and show absolutely no negative effects from it and some are born a litte small or premature- very few have more serious side effects than that like asthma or lung issues..

Keep in mind that in the 60's everyone and their mom were smoking pot and thier kids turned out ok so if you had a slip up or somthing I wouldn't beat myself up over it- However, it would be best to avoid it from now on.

Studies of newborns, infants, and children show no consistent physical, developmental, or cognitive deficits related to prenatal marijuana exposure. Marijuana had no reliable impact on birth size, length of gestation, neurological development, or the occurrence of physical abnormalities. The administration of hundreds of tests to older children has revealed only minor differences between offspring of marijuana users and nonusers, and some are positive rather than negative. Two unconfirmed case-control studies identified prenatal marijuana exposure as one of many factors statistically associated with childhood cancer. Given other available evidence, it is highly unlikely that marijuana causes cancer in children.

Mann, Peggy. The Sad Story of Mary Wanna. NY: Woodmere Press, 1988. 30.

Fried, Peter. Quoted in “Marijuana: Its Use and Effects.” Prevention Pipeline. 8:5 (1995): 4.

American Council for Drug Education. Drugs and Pregnancy. Rockville: Phoenix House, 1994.

Swan, Neil. “A Look at Marijuana’s Harmful Effects.” NIDA Notes. 9. 2 (1994): 16.

Parents Resource Institute for Drug Education. Marijuana – Effects on the Female. Atlanta, GA: PRIDE, 1996.

Can you please tell me if marijuana through pregnancy harm a inersit little baby and she smoke it very heavy thought pregnancy because my grandchild is got speach problem and she six years old and she look like a 4 year old and she is going to be 7 years old in August and my daughter just told me she did it and she think crystal nothing wrong with her. I just don't understand why these parents do it. she is on methadone now and i need to go to understand drugs so is there a meeting i can go to please help me thanks sue

You have a hard time spelling as well ma'am.no offense.

You can spell better. Good for you Guest! Couldn't you contribute something worthwhile to this conversation rather than belittle someone for mis-spelled words? Her question and concerns are very clear.

I was wondering the same things as Sue. Is it possible smoking pot causes developmental problems? I have seen the same symptoms in a child.