What can you tell me about foliculitis? I always develop a bunch of inflamed bumps in my groin area after shaving. They have the white stuff coming out of them but some are just red and annoying. The thing is that they progress to my thighs sometimes and whatever I apply doesn’t help.
I use a simple raiser and I clean it every time after usage. The bumps and the inflammation go away on their own but it takes a while. My friend told me this is foliculitis and that it needs to be treated with antibiotics.

I have also developed foliculitis after shaving down there for the first time. However, I have developed foliculitis on my beard as well. Foliculitis can be caused by different organisms and foliculitis that I had on beard and on my groins are two different inflammations. The one on groins is caused by bacteria and the one on beard is pseudofolliculitis barbae, which is a foreign-body inflammatory reaction surrounding ingrown hairs. However, some forms of folliculitis may arise after shaving with no bacteria found in it. The treatment usually depends on the cause, I had to take oral antibiotics for the groin foliculitis and refrain from shaving. When you shave, it would be best if you used a new razor each time and do it slowly in order to avoid any cuts.