I have been having ruq pain and burning in my right rib and shoulder blade for the past 2 years. It started during my pregnancy and has gotten progressively worse over time. Ultrasound of gallbladder was normal and my hida scan was 91%. My pcp told me it was not my gallbladder because my tests were normal. I made an appt with a general surgeon based on the research l have done on high ejection fractions. He pretty much made me feel like l was crazy for coming to see him and said he had never heard of such a thing. I still feel strongly this is my gallbladder and l don't know where to go from here. I cannot continue to live with this pain.

Frustrated1: I understand how you feel. My pain started a year ago, out of the blue. Weird cold clammy sensations all over. I used to be pretty athletic, skinny, and no problems at all before that. Did scans, ultrasounds. HIDA scan showed 91%. GI didn't feel anything was wrong. Right from the beginning even though the pain was all over based on the cold clammy sensations, the GI felt either it was celiac disease, some food intolerance or something with the gall bladder. Eventually the pain started localizing below the rib cage. At tahat point the GI suggested I see a surgeon to remove it out. The surgeon was patient and realistic. Told me that he could remove it in a jiffy, but couldn't guarantee that would fix my pain. I waited 6 more months and last week finally got it removed.

Today was my follow up and the surgeon told me the biopsy revealed chronic cholecystitis, even though there were no stones and none of the tests other than the HIDA scan had shown anything really abnormal. His take was 90% this should explain my suffering for the past year. In the 10% case that there is still something weird going on, he felt it was good that the gallbladder was removed as the inflammation could have ruptured later.

Don't be in a rush to take your gallbladder out. It's still a body part and still a surgery. Go on a gluten free diet. Test for food intolerances. If nothing else works, then go ahead and opt for surgery. As you can see from my case, that other than the HIDA scan showing a high EF there were no other abnormalities. Yet my gallbladder was chronically inflamed. All the best and hope you find relief.

How are you feeling now that your gallbladder is out? Have your symptoms subsided?

Frustrated1: I had a couple of things going on. I always have thrown up a lot of bile juice for the longest time, especially waking up. So I've always felt there was a problem with my gall bladder, and that was one of the reasons I wanted it removed, even though none of the tests were conclusive (as you know the high EF HIDA scan doesn't have a consensus among GIs...my own GI felt that a 91% EF was fine).

I'm glad that I removed it, knowing now that it was inflamed and could have caused other problems, and also because I believe I've always had a GB problem.

However, for the last 2 days my other symptoms that have been there for the past year, are still flaring up. My pain was never exacerbated when eating foods (the classic GB problem tell-tale sign), but more when sleeping in the nights. It's more of pain around the chest (all scans/heart ecg were fine) and some weird cold sensations, that flares up more at nights. I could still be having GERD(have had acid reflux issues before) and maybe some other food intolerances.

That's why I told you, don't rush for surgery. You'll end up paying a bit and it might not resolve your particular problem. If all tests are coming negative, then go back to the symptoms. If you have classic gallbladder problem symptoms (pain after eating) then it could be that. If your pain is more in the night, relieved by sleeping on multiple pillows, then you might be having acid reflux. You could also be having some food intolerance. Check your specific symptoms, other possible causes, before rushing for surgery. All surgeries carry their own inherent risks and you don't want to waste money and risk more damage to your health, on top of not fixing your existing issues, if you aren't absolutely sure that surgery will fix your specific problems.

Again, hope you do your due diligence. If you have ruled out everything else, and feel surgery is the best option, only then go for it.

You are the first to say burping. I have horrible burping after eating and at night. I had a hida scan and my fraction was high. I forget how high. My doc is sending me to a gastro doc. Did you have surgery and your gallbladder removed and did the horrible burping stop? 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

The horrible belching and burping after eating is my biggest problem. I have a high fraction and am not sure what to do. Please update me after your surgery. 

The burping is my most horrible trouble. What ever came about your treatment?

I had burping and that was my biggest problem before I had my surgery. I had my surgery back on 7/12/13 and it is now 10/2/13. I still had burping after my surgery which ticked me off!!! But! now it is almost gone! No burping or shortness of breath feeling from burping so much! I just took some gas pills for a little while and I am not on them anymore and It's almost completely stopped. I guess it just took some time to get back to normal after my surgery. I feel great now!

My surgery was 7/2/13 and it is now 10/2/13. My burping and shortness of breath feeling that came with that is almost completely gone at this point! I guess it's just taking some time to go away but I feel soooooooo much better! All the doctor had me do was take some gas pills for a while and it did seem to help some during but I'm not taking them anymore and I am doing well! I still have no problems after the surgery. I don't have problems losing weight, no diarrhea (my stool is actually solid now instead of mush from before surgery. Sorry if TMI), I don't have to be careful of what I eat, nothing. So don't be too scared of all these horror stories out there! Just pray and God will take care of you!

***UPDATE***

My symptoms of 2+ years have gotten worse, and have requested a surgeon consult...Although I have a GB with an EF of 99%, I was still hesitant to get my gallbladder out, thought I would also try other things as some of you have done and also because my GI thought I was crazy...To make a long story short, my pain/discomfort now radiate up my right side and chest and down to lower abdomen around the appendix area...center of my chest, I sometimes feel a bulge, swallowing food has gotten worse as well, needing to drink a cup or more of water immediately to force the food down...I also have burping issues, it feels like tiny air bubbles... read on here about gallbladder problems affecting your ears as well, I sometimes can hear blood gushing through my right ear, one of my doctors thought it could be high blood pressure, and suggested I take a low dosage BP pill, my blood pressure for the most part is less than 120/80....

I have never thrown up, only have suffered from occasional nausea... pain has never gone above a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10... pain has either been a stabbing, pulsating, or squeezing type...

Things I have tried:

Dietary modifications were a no go... the only relief I would get was when I'd go 12 or more hours with no food.. I would feel like new, but I would then end up feeling the side effects of not eating...

Medications I've taken:

ranitidine, omeprazole, antibiotics, tums, gasx, antidepressant, bently, dicyclomine, ibuprofen, digestive enzymes, probiotics, fennel tea, peppermint tea, chamomile tea... the only thing that has helped with a different digestive issue that I did not mention, has been the probiotics (Billion strain)

I have severe pain around my belly button for last 3 years. Started with a minor pain but now it has become routine. I have done 2 Upper and Lower Colonoscopy, Barium test, Capsule test and 3 Hida scans. The current one showed 94 percent ejection fraction. I get bloated and pain radiates to sternum and mid and lower back and sometimes right hand side ribs hurts too. Feel like pulling sensation and cramps(twisted) around belly.

Last year Doctor did a minor hernia repair behind the belly but pain still remains the same. I don't get nasuea or constipated or loose stools. I tried lots of acid reflux medication, pain killers, probiotics, tried candida diet, gluten diet and currently staying away from wheat, milk and egg but still the pain is out there. Exercise makes it more worse and even sitting in the car because the belly touches the belt and also it presses. Even if gas is passed the pain gets 10% better but still the pain is out there. I don't eat spicy, no tomato sauce or greasy food. I know it will get worse. Sometimes feel like muscular problem but not sure whether its muscular or gall bladder.

Hello, I am Alex. I used to have chronic pain under the right rib bow and in the lower abdomen for years. But you are not giving much information about your symptoms therfore I do not feel comfortable to give you any direct advice. I live in Thailand and the operation was just around 500US$ about 3 years ago. My Situation after the removal improoved a lot but when I eat heavy (=very fatty) or junk food, I sometimes have problems to digest it easyly. Sometimes I am like sick for half a day because of it. A low fat diet improves the condition fast. However, I my case I also had problems with other digestion issues: You should also check for ACIDOSIS and/or prostate problems and test for low Testosterone levels. These conditions can also trigger similar syptoms like gall bladder problems. Before deciding on an operation I suggest you should contact another specialist first! Greetings!

How is is now ? Any chronic problems ? Did diarrhea go away ? I'm having mine out in 2 weeks and I'm still not convinced it will help.

How are you doing now ? Did diarrhea subside ? Any other symtoms come back ? Mine is scheduled in 2 weeks and I'm still not sure of doing it

Thank you! This is the most information I have found yet explaining why this problem may occur. Even though there are no good solutions (surgery is not so good), it helps me to understand what is causing my pain. Just out of curiosity, my doctor gave me a drug that is supposed to prevent muscle cramps. It doesn't sem to help, but is that a common treatment?