Hiya, I'm definitely due for an upgrade, my makeup brushes are old and I've lost a lot over the last few years so I'm now down to basically just a few. I'd ideally like to keep a set of different ones especially for eyeshadow. Some makeup brushes are so expensive it stings! Some are cheap but presumably suck? I'm really in a dilemma here whether to get cheap makeup brushes or go with more pricey ones, because sometimes cheap is the biggest waste of money!!! So anyone got recs for good cheap makeup brushes or perhaps do you def suggest expensive ones and if yeah, which ones are worth it? 

Good makeup brushes can make all the difference! I like mine to be the best, as well as being well organized in a neat pouch, all the brushes I need together in one place. I like the Marc Jacobs five piece travel brush set for that. It is beautiful and very effective! It is absolutely not only for travel, just a neat thing you can use anywhere, but the handy format is definitely a plus. You get a nice brush for blush, one for highlighter, and several for eyeshadow that allow you to create any look you want. All you need to add is a Beauty Blender and you are good to go!!!

I used to have a fairly extensive set of MAC brushes, which I was definitely happy with, but after a decade or so, they are looking worse for wear. I am looking to do the opposite of what you are asking about - DOWNGRADING my brushes, LOL! I got a couple of Sephora ones, which I am perfectly happy with. 

I am now thinking I'll get the "Here's the skinny brush wrap" set by Sephora, which costs $19.50 online at the moment at a discount and contains five brushes. Together with the ones I already have, that should be all I need. I can then get rid of my dirty old brushes. 

How often are you meant to replace makeup brushes exactly? I am pretty sure I am overdue. 

Interestingly, I recently just read a review of cheap and expensive makeup brushes on Bustle. The review did a good job of showing that cheaper and more expensive brushes can both achieve very similar effects, and that the density of the bristles ultimately matters far more than the price of the brushes. 

One thing the review didn't look at is durability. I don't think it is a far stretch to conclude that expensive brushes simply might last longer. That is, that they are able to withstand more cleansing sessions. 

As for how often to replace makeup brushes, as long as you clean them regularly, which is best done with products specifically made for that purpose, and they are not falling apart, there really is no reason to throw your brushes out. I replace mine when the glue comes loose and the brush separates from the handle, or the bristles are no longer in the same shape, that is, permanently sticking out in all kinds of directions, that kind of thing. If that is not happening, your brush is still good to go. Do store your brushes in clean, mold free environments and make sure they don't touch each other while drying. 

Celebrity

Hey,

I tend to buy my makeup brushes from NYX. They are very reasonably priced and work very well in my experience. While I don't doubt that some more expensive brushes are of higher quality (some, in comparison, are more expensive only as a result of clever marketing and are actually not very good), this is what is convenient to me, and these brushes work in the makeup and blend well enough that I honestly have no complaints. 

Now, I am not a very heavily made up person most of the time. I prefer the natural look and am simply too lazy/time strapped to spend too much time on all that, so your mileage may vary. Let's just say that most people make do with cheap makeup brushes and they do just fine. 

Rosie

I have only got one makeup brush. I bought it cheap. I have also got just a tiiiiny little bit of makeup, and it seems to do the job for my needs. My brush is not broken yet. I must admit I rarely use it. That wasn't really what you were looking for today, was it?

I will say though, that generally speaking, expensive doesn't always equal better quality. I recently got this Nutribullet knock off for $30, and it works very well. I am very happy with it. I am sure the original would have done a great job too but this way I have some money left over. Taking a chance on the cheap product was worth it. The same kind of thing applies to makeup brushes, so you could consider just starting with a cheap set that does have good reviews.

Be very careful when you buy makeup brushes. Because you need to find ones made from natural bristles or hair because plastic hair can make your face irritated. So even if it is expensive it is so important because you use brushes all the time and irritated skin is not beautiful skin, and it will just get more and more irritated over time so you always buy quality natural hair brushes even though they are more expensive. There is no point buying expensive quality makeup if you are just going to use cheap brushes.