Sometimes I have to take mineral oil because of constipation; it happens maybe once in a month or once in two months. Im never sure how much mineral oil is enough and not too much. I use to take 4-5 big spoons at bedtime. It often helps. Do I make mistake with the dose?

I use to take 3 spoons and it works well enough. Maybe you should try with lower dose next time to check the result. I think that it is very individual thing, but lower is better as long as it works. I use to take glycerin suppositories sometimes, and sometimes take an oral preparation. I found that very effective.

I am a 47 year old female. Weight 165 and good health. How much mineral should I take for constipation?

Hi zenia, 

Mineral oil is one of the most used and cheapest ways to treat the constipation and it’s one of the safest ones. I agree with bevvy that you should always try to use the lowest dose that is working. But, this is different for different people, so it definitely might be the best to take 2-3 spoons and see what happens.

However, mineral oil, as well as other laxatives, still does come with some side effects, mainly after using it for longer periods of time. This happens because your bowels get used to function with the help of the oil, so you end up constipated when you don’t use it. That’s why you should also try to include more fiber rich foods in your diet, as well as fresh fruit and vegetables.

Doesn't anyone know how to measure teaspoons and tablespoons? All spoons are different sizes.

The amount of mineral oil that is recommended, doesn't work for me. I drank quite a bit last night and still haven't had a BM. I've tried, prunes, psyllium fiber husks, senokot, ducolax and I drink water non stop. I can't seem to get any relief. I don't know what else to do.

Try magnesium citrate. It tastes horrible and sometimes makes me nauseous but usually kicks in anywhere from 1-4 hours. I feel your pain.

You could have a blockage causing you to not be able to pass stool. It's also very possible you're taking too much stuff too close together, certain medications cause constipation, if you're a smoker or drink alcohol that can cause it, and high amounts of stress will definitely cause it. Go to your doctor to get tests done to pinpoint the issue.