Hi guys,

I'm a 19 yr old female with shoulder length hair. I wash my hair often with shampoo. My family have the greasy hair gene which means we have to wash our hair regularly.

I wash my hair often. When I finish washing my hair it feels fresh. But by tomorrow evening, the top hairs already feel greasy and look wet. Also the scalp and top hairs stink of sweat. I use supermarket anti- dandruff shampoo. Or sometimes I try for more expensive brands like herbal essences or treseme or head and shoulders. These are better but still the same problem.

I dont use styling products by the way. I'm chinese, so my hair is black.

Any ideas on how to combat this?

thanks

xx

You are already doing some of the right things.

Frequent daily shampoo will certainly help, but you also want to occassionally change shampoos.
I believe the reason is so that the excess chemicals or substances of one brand will be washed away by another.

Also, it is so that you can try different strengths of detergent, and that also may be of help cutting the grease.

You could also ask your local beautician for advice, when you get your hair cut. But be aware most hair shops instruct their clerks and workers to guide patrons to the brand of products that they alone sell. And while they may be good, they are almost all expensive.

Good luck.

I have actually found that washing hair too much can be the problem. Although there are two different theories but I seem to agree with less washing. Hair has oil, it makes more to replace when needed and when you wash more your scalp goes into overdrive because it works more to make what was lost....something like that.

Having had to deal with oily hair for the past few years (I'm 40 and only had oily hair as a teen then went back to oily in the last 5 years and comes and goes as it pleases) I tend to simply wash it daily because it's just gross to me.

Stick to hair specifically made for oily hair, condition less or not at all or try a light cream rinse and only apply to ends; clear shampoos are supposed to be better for oily hair; don't touch or brush often (I found it got oily faster if I did). My mom had the same problem when I was a teen and she actually used Dawn dish soap (she was desperate) so maybe try a drop with your shampoo when you wash your hair. I've never tried a dry shampoo but I've heard that can help in between if your trying to cut out frequently washing; also read somewhere but never tried, apple cider vinegar rinse...

Good luck and I hope I was helpful. Honestly though, it could just be a hormone fluctuation that you need to just wait through; definitely bring it up to your doctor so they know there is a change in your body; keep researching on the internet.

Well, that's interesting. I stand corrected, if you feel TOO MUCH washing might be causing the problem.

On the other hand, it might be cultural..OR if you have "hard water"...that is, water that does not support soap sudzing. It is treated with calcium pellets and salt in the individual homes here in the US.

At the risk of appearing ignorant, I wonder if the oily hair may have something to do with the Chinesse race? But I really don't know?
Any beauticians out there who could help answer this?

Two of my kids have smelly hair and the best shampoo I've found for them is Desert Essence Organics Lemon Tea Tree Shampoo. If they use it every day, sometimes washing their hair twice, it makes a huge difference.

hi i'm a 14 year old girl and i have thick long hair i didn't actually know what i was doing but i saw someone do a youtube video on this hair mask to get your hair thicker, longer, & stronger which included almond oil, castor oil, & sesame oil so the store i bought the oils at they were out of almond at the time so i only used castor oil & sesame oil so basically what i did  so i mixed the castor oil & the sesame oil together and put it all through my scalp and then i combed it all through my hair and the girl in the video said to rap your hair up and sleep with this overnight so i did and i thought it would work it's magic on my hair so the next moring woke got a shower use shampoo then condition and then i let my hair air dry and when it dried my hair was so oily and greasy so after that i told another shower and shampooed and conditioned again then when it dried that time it was still the same oily and greasy so i was like this is never gonna come out and thought i messed up my hair for good but after saw another video on youtube and ths girl was trying to lighten up her dyed black hair with dawn dish soap and conditioner and it didn't lighten up her hair at all but then i watched her up dated video on it and she said it was suppose to be dawn dish soap and sampoo i searched it on google and i seena and read peoples comments about washing there hair with dawn dish soap and they got good reviews so i was like this is a risk i'm gonna take cause how badly could i damage it more i mean right so i used dawn dish soap and my shampoo i mixed together btw here's some good tips if your shampoo and conditioner has sulfates in it don't use it because what slfates do to your hair is they strip down the good and natural oils that are suppose to be in your hair the sampoo and conditioner i use is mane & tale it actually stuff for horses but it's good for human hair too and it's also slfate free it works really good on my hair it make your hair thicker, longer, & shinyer so i have been using it for a month and a half and i measured my hair before i started my hair was 15 inches long from root to tip and with in that month and a half it grew 5 inches now my hair is 20 inches long from root to tip and they only sell this product at walmart and it;s in the pet section cause it's for horses too both bottles were 6.00$ but you get alot really you get 32 oz. in each bottle that's like a year supply so i used dawn and the shampoo then i used the conditioner and then finally after i let my hair dry for the third time it made my hair super soft and shiny non oliy and greasy resadue was let in my hair and was also less fizzy than before i think this combination turned out really good hope you enjoy this bye:)

The problem is due to sebum over production. Face, upper chest, scalp etc are the areas with more sebaceous glands. routine use of of mild shampoo is better to manage this problem. we cant stop or block sebum production it is a natuaral process. if block occurs that causes acne in face, seborrheis dermatitis in scalp. So u dont have problems like sebum block.Routine use of mild shampoo will help to manage theproblem. Syamkrishnan, M.Pharm, Pharmacist Qatar