Good day everyone.

My friend is having a problem with her dog. Apparently she is in heat for a couple of days now. She told me that she is really bad in behavior and that she just can’t handle her at all.

I know that dogs in heat can be really bad and that they just refuse to listen everything that you are saying, but I believe that everyone who has female pet has this problem.

But I don’t know how to answer my friend on question for how long does a dog stay in heat?

I suppose that this depends but I don’t know exactly.

Do you?

Good day darling,

Well from bout six months to the rest of hers life your dog is going to be in heat. Heat usually lasts between two to four weeks. Early in the cycle a female dog may not be receptive to mail dogs even if some are receptive though the entire cycle of your dog.

It can be shorter or longer and you will know when her cycle is over.

When your dog is in heat you need to take care of her and you should never let her to go outside alone. While she is in heat she can get pregnant.

Hello everyone. I have the same problem. I have Shetland Sheepdog, she is 10 months old and I believe that she is in heat now. I think that this is her fist time or I didn’t notice it before. Anyway, her private part is swollen a lot and it is pretty much bigger than usual. Firs time I didn’t saw any blood, but after two days – there was the blood. She was bleeding for two weeks I think. She wants to hump everything in my house. This situation is a little bit hard for me to handle but I believe that this is normal. I am not planning to spay her so far.

Hey there friends.

It depends what breed is your dog.

In this case, your friends dog. It would be nice that you mentioned it to us but ok. As you see, they can be in heat for two or three weeks. Even four. Actually there are four stages to the canine estrus cycle.

It is:

• Proestrus – it lasts between 4 – 20 days,
  • Estrus – it lasts between 5 to 13 days.

Do you know a color of discharge of this dog?

It would be helpful to us.

But generally they can be in heat longer than four weeks. I didn’t have problems with it because my dog was in heat for two weeks.

I am thinking about spaying her.

Good day guys.

I agree with you.

My sister’s dog is usually in heat for about three weeks. In the first week you don’t even can tell that your dog is heat because you don’t see any kind of bleeding.

Well when the bleeding starts is the sign when your dog is ready to mate and that lasts for one or two weeks. It depends on bread and on dog as well.

If you have more than one female dog, there is a huge possibility that they will be in heat at the same time. Well, I believe that this is a hell :)