I'm in the same boat as the rest of you. It started after I visited a chiropractor for a severe case of Sciatica. I told him my upper back/neck area was also hurting me a lot, so he massaged it, &, ever since then, it's been driving me crazy. I also believe it's neurological, & maybe those electrical impulses he used on my back has done something to my itchy, burny spot. PLEASE -- someone -- find out for sure what's plaguing us!!
:cry:

I actually have this sensation all over my back from the base of my skull to my pelvis, as well as the insides of my arms. It was recently discovered that I have two severely herniated discs in my cervical spine that are indenting my spinal cord. I'm going to have surgery for them soon. I am wondering if this crawly, tickling sensation is linked to the nerve problems I'm suffering from due to the pressure on my spinal cord or if it's due to the fact that I have autoimmune (not yet specifically diagnosed - I have the positive blood work but we're trying to figure out which disease I have). Either way, it does seem neurological in nature so I would definitely recommend visiting a good neurologist and taking it from there. Really, you can't self-diagnose anything anyway because, even if people have the same symptoms they don't necessarily have the same problem and even if they have the same problem you really need to be treated on an individual basis. Go to a neurologist. It's really the most logical way to go.

Hi All,
I've had the same symptoms of feeling of ants crawling on my back. I went through thorough testing blood brain CT and everything in between. The solution is simple add B12,B6 and folic acid to your diet. I am also in high stress environment. These vitamins are so essential for brain activity OMG. Just buy yourself some and you will see the difference.

I have the same itchy creepy crawly feeling on my back. To the lower right of my left shoulder blade almost to my spine. I didnt really keep track of when it started but its been at least a year. It feels like micro organisms moving around in my back just in that one area. But lately I feel like the micro organisms feeling has moved on top of my spine and over to the other side a little bit, but not the itchiness. But for the most part its still to the left of my spine. Its a horrible feeling.

What kind of water is everyone drinking? Does anybody think about bottled wter having something to do with this? I have been drinking Ice Mountain bottled water for 6 years.

Hi to everyone on this board. I can relate, weird itching and unexplained pain in the back region as well as scalp and inside my lungs - check. No one able to tell me what it is - check. And then two weeks ago after an intense bout of itching and crawling sensations that had me convinced I had bedbugs or scabies I broke out into blisters. And finally received a diagnosis of shingles. My doctor says that any type of nerve pain or itch is possible, since it is the virus from chickenpox gone dormant that reactivates and attacks the nerve endings again. So any type of pain and itching from it is possible, because it is indeed a neurological disorder. And yes, you can have shingles without the blisters, a search around the Internet and a conversaton with a good friend enlightened me to that little fact. For me it took a major overload of stress and bad general health as well as an aging body to get it to the point where I finally got the telltale rash. But I know I've had symptoms like everyone here is describing for some years now with no signs of a rash.

For me I think it's the fact that after years of working at a high-stress job, not especially taking care of myself and getting older the virus has finally made its way into a case of full-blown shingles. Not fun. Once I suspected that was what was going on I sought out a doctor I knew would have had experience with shingles, and I am now on a full health program to boost my immune system and cut my stress levels. Not easy, but alot better than the alternative. I hope this helps some of you out there. I know how frustrating it can be until you get an answer. And this may not be it either, but it's something to get checked out anyways since alot of people's symptoms here match what mine were and still are. No health professional or alternative health practitioner I saw for this ever thought to mention the possibility of shingles.

IT'S Neurological people!!! Go see a neurologist!!

Sciatica maybe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica

Hi guys n gals. For the last 2 weeks I've also got a burning/ itching sensation just near my left shoulder blade. It seems to come and go but more times than not it's there. There is no redness , swelling or anything but it's starting to annoy me. It's not overly painful just annoying.
I do have a theory for what it's worth, this has only started since my newborn baby daughter was born and has been in hospital for all of her 7 weeks of life. She's had bowel surgery and has been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. So to het to the point I feel it's something to do with stress .
Can anyone else coincide the burning with a stressful time at all?
I also find the burning isn't a problem when I'm in bed winding down. It maybe coincidence, what do you guys think?

finally i found other people describing that little pin / burn thing, i have it too, on my middle back left side.
i went to an acupuncturist, who said that it's located in the lung meridian. and then 2 weeks later i had a
sonogram of the lung and that showed my lung was irritated. no cures. but just info. thanks for this forum.

Great to know that I'm not the only one who is feeling like this....
I have had a sensation of burning, tingling, on the left side of my back around the region where lumbar and thorasic meet, typically it's in the thorasic region. Sometimes it's painful... but it's more annoying... and making me concerned as to my state of health. 3 years ago I visited an MD who just looked at my back and said that he sees nothing...
It started in 05 after a bout of sunburn on my back... not sure if it's physically related or if it's just psycological.
Lately the sensation has been spreading to other areas of my back and body. Not sure what I should do now.

Here's some info I found last night.  I have experienced it myself, although today its more burning than itchy.

Notalgia paresthetica

Notalgia paresthetica, an itch localized to the center of the midback, is estimated to affect about 10 percent of the population and usually occurs in the absence of other signs and symptoms, although some persons may develop a hyperpigmented patch from prolonged rubbing and scratching. In many patients, notalgia paresthetica is thought to be a consequence of the normal anatomy of the dorsal spinal nerves that correspond to the affected dermatome. Those particular nerves are relatively short and follow a unique course, having to make a sharp turn in their path to the skin and passing through the multifidus spinae muscle where they can be subjected to movement and irritation that stimulate itch.

However, there is some evidence linking notalgia paresthetica with pathologic changes of the spine, such as nerve root impingement, osteophyte development, or spondylosis, that may lead to nerve compression, and some individuals have neurological symptoms, including numbness, tingling, or changes in touch and pain thresholds, coexisting with their pruritus.

"In my history-taking, I will ask about arthritis symptoms and spinal problems or injuries, and I now have a low threshold for ordering radiographic studies. More often then not, when I look for pathologic changes, I find something. However, a controlled study is needed to compare notalgia paresthetica patients with a matched unaffected population to see if those findings are significantly related," Dr. Bernhard said.

He indicated he prescribes topical capsaicin cream (Zostrix) as first-line treatment for patients with notalgia paresthetica. It must be applied five times a day for the first week and then three times a day for two to three weeks thereafter. The response rate is good with adherence to that regimen, and while relapse is common after treatment is stopped, the recurring itch usually responds to retreatment.

my mum has been sent for a scan for all these reasons by her doctor ill keep u posted hers is a 2by 2 inch spot under sholder blade looka like a slight bruse under slin but its yellow really faint but she had it 4 2 months now and she describea it as crawling irritent painfull so ill keep u posted people

I have had an unusual hot sensation about 2 inches in diameter on my back, half way down on the centre left side. It is intermittent (3-4 times a day) and lasts for about 2-3 seconds. Started about a week ago and now re occurs everyday. Not painful just quite unusual. When it happens it actually makes me jump, thinking something hot is about to touch my back! Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am so relieved to know that I am not alone.  Thought it was a bug, a hair, scared that it was something alive under my skin.  My sanity says it's probably a nerve end or something associated with the psoriasis I have.