Jim…I did locate the info for Dr Chen. I also did additional (ad nauseum) reading of Dr Norman's site in addition to reading comments about him. (most are complimentary and there are some that are downright frightening) Anyway, my Endo finally, after additional tests and conversations,etc has diagnosed me with ''persistent parathyroid disease'' she calls hyperplasia, but we don't really know that. Anyway, after more research and soul searching I have decided to get an opinion and possible 2nd surgery by Dr Michael Yeh at UCLA rather than fly to Florida. He has an excellent reputation as a surgeon and a human being.
Naturally I am hoping to have made the right decision. The fact that this will be a ''redo'' makes this whole deal more complicated for sure.

Let us know how that turns out. Good luck, never give up, keep a positive attitude and stay in charge of your situation!!

Thank you so much! Know that I am definitely ''in charge'' of my situation! I'll keep you posted...

May I ask what the cost was? I may be looking at the same procedure.

That's such a variable depending on your insurance. I believe Dr. Norman in Fla publishes his rates on his parathyroid website. I really don't remember what we paid after insurance. However based on the before and after almost no cost would have been too high.

Hello I am considering hyperparathyroid surgery Can you tell me how everything went now that a year has passed. How about your sister. What about the surgeon you had. I would appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

If you are replying to my posts about my wife, she's completely cured and feeling great now. Back to her old routine. Dr. Chen of Woodland removed the diseased parathyroid (adenoma) in 2009. Dr Chen was great!

Have an appointment with Dr Schlinkert in a few months. Can you tell me more of your experience. Did you have the MIRP surgery? How long before you could leave the hospital?d Any information would be greatly appreciated.

In our case, we left the hospital a few hours after the MIRP surgery. My wife then started feeling "weird" after a few more hours at home and we went back to the hospital and did a series of tests, some of which looked at her brain waves. Turned out that she was having the same reaction that others have had when their calcium comes down from the excessive highs that Hyperparathyroidism induces. Later on that evening everything settled down and she's been fine since.
I'd like to know how the other person who is/was looking at the "redo" does and how they are doing now.

Jim and Marcy…I did see Dr Yeh @ UCLA and after a negative CT Scan he did an Ultra Sound which showed something that looked like a Parathyroid within the Thyroid. A needle biopsy confirmed this (2 weeks ago). Finally, the ''culprit'' has been located. I am in the process of scheduling surgery with Dr Yeh at the end of August. This has been one long and frustrating road, to say the least! Am looking forward to feeling well, and very grateful for Dr. Yeh. Will keep you posted and thanks for your interest!

Yeahhh! Smoking gun! My wife and I were in tears when Dr. Chen confirmed the presence of her adanoma. I still tear up when I describe to others how and when it was finally found. I hope your surgery results in good results!! Keep us posted.

Thanks! I get pretty emotional too! The cytopathologist here in Sacramento was incredible! He and Dr Yeh saw exactly the same thing on the Ultrasound. (So why did UCD and the other surgeon miss it?)
Oh well…everything is unfolding as it should and I look forward to being healthy! I will definitely keep you posted. Oh, and continued good health to you Marcy.

Why do write that Dr. Schlinkert if great? I will be seeing him for a consult neXt week Aug 4 2014. Any info you have about the
Sclinkert MD would be very helpful, ThankCharlotte

I am not the person who posted this. Don't know anything about Dr Sclinkert. The post date was 2007-10-24. Hopefully someone will reply.

Dear Parathyroid Patient, I appreciate so very much your post ........... just how informative and helpful you are. I was just finally diagnosed with a hyper-parathyroid problem this afternoon. My doc has been 'watching' things for about a year with a calcium level of 10.8/10.6 and wasn't even going to do a calcium or PTH level this visit. I pushed for these tests and came back with a t0.9 calcium and a PTH of 149! Next he wants me to see an endocrinologist. I was looking at Dr. Norman's web site but Florida is a long way from WA state. I googled and found this site along with other info on Dr. Stickney. Does anyone know if it is necessary to have a referral from an endocrinologist or can I just get my internist to refer to Dr. Stickney? Thanks to all for the info on the blog.