I suggest that you call the surgeon you are considering and discuss charges. I'm sure there are many variables.

Did you find any specialist in the VA/DC/MD area to help with your hyperparathyroidism. My spouse has the same issue and Haven't been able to locate a specialist .

Anybody have a recommended surgeon in the Atlanta area?? I am very frustrated, trying to find an experienced surgeon and would love to hear about some of your experiences.

Try Dr; John Kennedy

Sorry, forgot to give the contact info. Here it is:
John S. Kennedy, M.D. FACS
DeKalb Surgical Associates
2665 N. Decatur Rd, Suite 730
Decatur, GA 30033
404-508-4320
404-508-4112 (fax)

I have not seen him personally but have heard good things mentioned about him on other groups and apparently he does a lot of parathyroid surgeries. I contacted him and he got back to me. He is very far from me (I live in the southwest) so I have been trying to find an experienced surgeon closer to home (if anyone knows of one in the Southwest, please let me know).

I love my Endr.  He is doctor McMonagle in Roseville, CA.  He is accurate, and spends as much time as he needs to get you the best care possible. His beside manners is wonderful.  Now my problem is I can not find surgeon to perform the surgery I need.  DON"T go to Gulbrandson, he just scolded me, yelled at me and had me in tears when I left his office. NO compassion and doesn're care about your feelings, your concerns or your questions.  He is looking to make more money and have you come back over and over in order to do so.  I wouldn't have that doctor do surgery if he was the last one on earth. You will find more compassion from the gas station attendant.  Now, can someone recommend a Parathyroid surgeon in the Sacramento CA area?  Thanks in advanc8-|

I went to Dr Goldenberg at Penn State for my MIRP
he was wonderful!
highly recommended
best of luck

Eric

Hello - I have primary hyperparathyroidism, and it is ruining my life. The diagnosis has been confirmed - I am trying to get my referral to a local endocrine surgeon, but feet are being dragged by my insurance company....may I ask you how much the surgery with Dr. Norman costs out of pocket? Fortunately, I do have some financial resources and I will use them. I don't have the energy for a prolonged fight with my insurance company. Thanks- GrDrWo

Eric - what is Dr. Goldenberg's first name? GrDrWo

I went to Dr. Alen Cohen in Los Angeles from Santa Barbara for parathyroid surgery and cannot say enough about the experience and Dr. Cohen.  He is very confident and intelligent and does the minimally invasive surgery.  I left 4 hours after surgery and have felt amazing since.  He is definitely regarded as one of the best on the west coast.  My endocrinologist in Santa Barbara told me he was amazed at the size of my incision.  I can't even see it and it's only one month since surgery:-P

I know it is old, but I just came across your post.  If you haven't had surgey yet check out Dr. Yeh at UCLA.  He has a blog on the ucla site and sounds like a great doctor for the parathyroid. God Bless!

Quote:

Did you end up going to Dr. Kennedy? I am also looking for an excellant minimally invasive parathyroid surgeon in the Atanta area and would prefer not to pay the high price of going to see Dr. Norman in Tampa, FL.

I just had parathyroid surgery three weeks ago today. The surgeon went in, took a benign tumor from my thyroid and did not remove any tumors from the parathyroids. I would appreciate a phone call from a surgeon that does more than one or two of this kind of surgery a month. My blood calcium is still probably about 10.5 to 11.5. I am in a lot of pain, and I am certain osteo perosis has set in because I have had this medical problem for about 8 years. I would like to get to the root of it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I suggest that you call Dr Babak Larian in Los Angeles. He is very kind and helpful. You can search for his website. Be sure you talk with him and not just with someone in his office.

I had parathyroid surgery at Mass General in Boston'I did my homework first.wanted a Dr that does this surgery ALL the time.found and researched Dr Randell Gaz.He was great.took the time to talk to me and explain all i could expect after  surgery..I had surgery the 28th of Feb and I am feeling great...fatigue was my biggest issue.GONE......had 3 glands removed.....my sister and brother have also had this surgery.brother is fine but sis is not...she had to back in to have the gland reimplanted in her forearm..symptoms r bad.still recovering....I guess from what I have read here it can be a long time recovery for this kind of surgery???.Please do your homework before doing this surgery...