hazey wrote:

mrln wrote:

I was just diagnosed with Hyperparathyroidism. I was referred to Dr. Laura Szynter, a surgeon at Long Island Jewish Medical Center in Lake SUccess, outside of NYC.She seems to get good results. I'm looking into how good the Sestimibi scans are at LIJ; I've emailed Dr. Norman about that, and if he's heard of Dr. Sznyter. I'll keep you posted.

Hi, I am wondering if you saw Dr S. How did it go? Have you decided on surgery? Please give me any details you can about your experience, or if you found someone else. I am in the same boat, and same area. Be well, and thanks for any and all feedback........

i HAVE SAME SITUATION LOW VIT HIGH CALCIUM PTH OF 156HAS BEEN SUGGESTED TO HAVE PARATHYROID SURGERY.
CANT FIND DR. IN PA. N.Y. OR L.I. HEARD OF DR. NORMAN,FL. AND DR.GORDON IN WARWICK N.Y. BUT HOSPITAL IS SMALL LET ME KNOW MORE ABOUT SZYNTER AT L.I.JEWISH

I too was looking for a parathyroid dr> I always tend to flock to the city. I only wanted the best for my daughter who had a parathyroiud tumor and was petrified. I found Dr. Gordon in warwick and the best decision I ever made< her surgery is done> He was great and so was the hospital> Loved that it was small. Very homey> Received great care. I was always near my daughter even when she had all tests. Nurses were fabulous> The day of my daughter surgery was Dr gordons day> He seems to run the or that day. All Parathyroid patients. He does many of theses a week and that what I looked for. I wanted a dr. Who could do this with his eyes closed. Loved Dr Gordon!!!!! Your decision though. Good luck!!!

Has anyone had any experience with parathyroid surgery with Dr. Shelby Holt or Dr. Dresler in Dallas?  What was your outcome and would you recomment them?

Quote:

Dr. Gordon from the New York Center for Advanced Parathyroid Surgery is great! He preforms minimally invasive surgery so the scar is very small and after surgery you are good to go. He is in Warwick, NY (about an hour from Manhattan) and takes great care of his patients. I highly recommend him. Check out his website

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I am sure Dr. Gordon is quite competent, however, I was totally turned off by the $400 consult fee, not covered by insurance. I easily found another surgeon who did not charge a fee whatsoever, and insurance covered my entire procedure.

GOOD MORNING, although the posts I am responding to are a few months old, I am hoping this will help someone in need. It took me several months to find a surgeon and I wanted to thank Piano Guy, who posted and recommended more than a year ago, about Dr. Thomas Fahey, Chief Endocrinologist at New York Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City. He is simply THE BEST. I had my surgery in June, and felt better in no time. No more acid reflux, which was my most glaring symptom. He was kind, caring and highly professional, as was the entire hospital staff. My incision is small and already fading. He placed it in an area of my neck where it folds, so it is barely even noticeable to begin with. Overall, I could not recommend him more highly, and would say call his office immediately for a consult. He will listen to your concerns, and make you feel at ease. I was also so grateful that my insurance plan was accepted by him, this was imperative in my situation. Thanks again, Piano Guy, hope you are well!! Good luck to all!!

I will receive the results of a thyroid ultrasound and sestamibi scan on Thursday, but am already trying to find a surgeon for minimally invasive surgery if I have to have it.  Anyone know of a doctor in the Chicago area who does it?

I have been putting off surgery for 9 months now.  I cannot make a decision.  Has anyone gone to a surgeon in the Atlanta, GA area that you would reccommend?  Thanks.

I know many of these posts are years and months old, but this thread is how I found the surgeon who recently performed my MIRP - Dr. Babak Larian in Beverly Hills, CA.  I live in Washington DC and couldn't find an experienced surgeon anywhere in the area.  I emailed with the doctor in Florida who was just way too abrasive for my taste.  No surgeon here could locate my tumor and wanted to wait until it got bigger or I got more sick...neither was an option as symptoms were quite severe.  It only took a matter of weeks from the time I emailed Dr. Larian to having surgery.  All I had to do was fly there and stay in a hotel, they took care of scheduling and insurance matters.   Dr. Larian is THE expert, caring, kind.  I spoke to him on the phone several times during diagnosis stages, met with him the day before my surgery, and he has called to check up on me (he gives patients his cell number, too, so he's always accessible to you).  It's only been 5 days but I feel like a new woman, noticed the change while in the recovery room!  He did not use general anesthesia, but I was "asleep" for the whole thing and have no recollection!  I highly recommend traveling to have your surgery performed with him, it's SO worth it!  Flew out Thursday for consult, surgery Friday, flew home Sunday.  He has a few different websites, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer from a patient's perspective.  I'm so glad I didn't have a "general surgeon" here in DC/VA/MD do the surgery, traveling to see Dr. Larian was the best decision possible.

I'm so glad you found Dr Larian. He did my surgery too and he is the best and nicest.

Laurie wrote:

I, too, recently had the parathyroid surgery, in June. I would highly recommend Dr. Thomas Fahey of Weill Cornell Medical Center/NY Presbyterian Hospital in New York.. Not only is he Chief Endocrinologist, but has performed this surgery for many years. On top of that, he was very friendly, reassuring and provided subtle comic relief when necessary. Though I was terrified, I put my fate in his hands, and couldn't be happier with my decision! The hospital staff couldn't have been nicer, and the facilities were modern and clean. Best of luck wherever you decide to go!

Check out Dr. Lisa Orloff at UCSF - she specializes in parathyroid issues and surgeries and was most highly recommended by our local endocrinologiast. Her background & credentials are impressive & both she & her staff have been most accommodating in getting my husband seen quickly & getting him on schedule for the minimally invasive type of surgery in a short timeline. She also utilizes the hormonal check during the [procedure method discussed above - to make sure that she got the correct result while the patient is still in the operating room.
She can be reached through her office @ (

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

We go in for my husband's suregery later this month - Best of luck to you!!

how about an update. Did you see Dr Stickney and how did it go. I am trying to get an appointment myself but its dec 2012 everyone goes on vacation and I need this surgery.

Dr Norman is the man.....he KNOWS parathyroids like no other doctors do in my opinion. Many docs have a wait and see attitude which is NOT good.....he is the best. If you did not read his site I would recommend that you do..parathyroid.com. We traveled from MD to Tampa. I had the operation in July.  I would recommend him highly. He and his team are world experts. People come from all over the world to have the operation in Tampa.

A close acquaintance (who also is a doctor) was very happy w/Dr. Holt, as she was the only surgeon who found the adenoma within the thymus, whereas a previous surgeon in the first surgery, could not.

Dr. Cord Sturgeon comes highly recommended by several posters in a closed parathyroid support and awareness group.