Sounds like you need an appointment with a surgeon who had done a lot of parathyroid surgery stat! Now it depends on your insurance whether or not you need that referral. I would press your internist to refer you directly to one who will take your insurance. I also was referred to an endocrinologist first who appeared almost as clueless as our internist so took it upon myself to find a doc experienced in hyperthyroid surgery. Took that doc about 5 minutes to correctly diagnose and find the adanoma via ultra-sound. And it was gone and my wife cured in a week. With a calcium level of 10.9, you must be miserable. Stop the misery!! Go see someone who is experienced in finding and removing parathyroid adanomas and skip the steps in between.

Thank you for your encouragement. I did a lot of research last night and came upon this site as part of my research. I have read a number of posts re. Dr. Stickney who practices out of the Sweedish MC in Seattle and I am only a 4 hr drive from there. When looking at her credentials and history I liked what I read. She trained under Dr. Norman in Florida. I could not foresee a trip to Florida but Seattle is possible. I called their office this morning and have an appointment in 3 weeks for an evaluation. I found them to be VERY helpful and pleasant with no long wait to get in. The internest I was referred to would probably only be calling me back for an appointment when I am actually seeing Dr Stickney! BTW she does a lot of parathyroid surgery. I may be miserable but can't remember WHY I'm miserable as my memory is shot! LOL! Hope to be feeling better soon. My cholesterol is going up and my homocysteine level is quite high and rising. This progression is a big concern to me and I do think there is a connection to the elevated calcium and PTH.

Correction, it was not an internest but an endocrinologist that I was being referred to. Sorry for the mistake. : )

We used to live in WA and have found Swedish to be one of the best hospitals in that area. That plus your description of Dr. Stickney sounds like you are definitely on the right track. I agree that there is a definite connection to the elevated calcium and PTH. PTH (parathyroid hormone) is what the parathyroid glands secrete to regulate your calcium. You probably already know this, but just in case: your calcium should normally be under 10 and your PTH under 10 as well. When your calcium goes down the four "normal" parathyroid glands pump out a bit more PTH, which causes your system to bring more calcium into the bloodstream. If you have enough calcium, the PTH should go down. This happens fairly rapidly, one of the ways the docs test while still on the operating table to see if they got all the "bad" glands. (Adanomas). When a gland goes berserk and keeps pumping out PTH your calcium goes way up over 10 and you start getting the symptoms you've been experiencing. Almost no way you can have high Calcium and high PTH without there being a berserk gland..adanoma. the sooner the better for getting that bad gland out of there. Be sure to have the doc take a pic of it (or, rarely, them) for you. It felt great to see the grape sized gland they took out of Marcy laying on the sheet when normal ones are the size of a grain of rice. Closure.

hi, after reading everyone's posts I HOPING someone has heard of a parathyroid dr here in Ohio or nearby... you'd think that being in the OSU and Cleveland Clinic area that I dculd get answers. my labs are a mess and I'm needing to find a dr that will KNOW this.. they all dont like Dr. Norman and roll their eyes when I bring out anyhting related to him... thanks laurie

Update! I have now seen Dr. Stickney in Seattle. She is wonderful! Have completed an ultrasound and a sestamibi and found that there are two parathyroids that light up! Surgery scheduled for 4th week in September. So good to know. I stopped taking multivitamins, and added vitamin D in the meantime and I am feeling better. Brain fog has lifted and I have some energy again. I won't go back on these until after the surgery.

Hi Laurie, I know what you are going through as I am making my way through the system too. Fortunately the Dr. I have chosen is only about 260 miles away in Seattle. I am so blessed. She is wonderful. Her name is Dr Stickney and practices out of Sweedish Hospital, one of the very top rated hospitals in the nation. Her office wall is plastered with awards as the area's top surgeon and also as one of the nation's top surgeons. Her specialty is surgery on the neck. Couldn't get better. She did study under Dr. Norman and knows him well. It means a lot to me to read that all the doctors in 3 counties voted her as the top surgeon and said that if they or their family needed care they would go/take them to her. She, like Dr. Norman sees a lot of out of area patients but does not charge a huge upfront fee to review your medical records as Dr Norman does. I would highly recommend her to you if Seattle is not too far for you to travel for the surgery.

are you or did you have surgery on your parathyroid?

Surgery is scheduled tor one week from tomorrow. Ultrasound showed a nodule on the thyroid. Needle biopsy is done. Don't know the results yet. That may need to be addressed at the same time as the parathyroids.

Hi I am scheduled to have a reoperation with Dr. Larian but after reading about your experience I am scared. Can you update us as to how your surgery with Dr. Yeh turned out?

I had my surgery on 9/25/14. All went well. Two adenomas were removed, 2.2cm and 1.2cm respectively. It was a day surgery so I went home (back to our motorhome) several hours later. That evening and night was very hard. Woozy head from pain meds and surgery and it was difficult to get comfortable. The next day not so bad. I dropped the hydrocodone after two doses as I didn't like the effects. Found that Tylenol Arthritis Formula covered most of the discomfort. PTH - 4 and Calcium still high at 10.5 twenty hours after surgery. I was not placed on suplemental calcium because of the high calcium on Friday. Saturday night around it seemed that my calcium crashed. My hands tingled and then burned like fire. My left cheek became twitchy. My right hand went into spasm. Around my mouth burned and felt cold at the same time. The tip of my tongue tapped out a fast beat, and toward I experienced severe spasms and pain at the back of my skull shooting through to the front of my head. It became frightening. I had been told to not take calcium but I started the proticol for tingling anyway at 10 PM. Two Citrical tabs, wait two hours, two more at MN, wait two, and finally two more at 2AM before I felt like it was past. Then I started taking the calcium, two tabs every 8 hours. It seemed rediculous to call a DR or go to the ER just to be told to take calcium and the tabs were right in the cupboard so I self doctored. The next day (Sunday) I called the clinic hotline and told the doc what I had done. She felt that what I had done was appropriate and told me to continue with the calcium and get my blood checked later this week. It is now 6 days post-op and I am waiting for results of labs taken yesterday. Dr. Stickney's office nurse seemed reluctant to acknowledge that I really needed to take the calcium. We will see ........ I really doubt that she has ever experienced the terror of low blood calcium.

Hi…I have been ''out of the loop'' since my re-do surgery with Dr Yeh. Was going through some old emails and decided to open this thread. I think your question was directed to me, since Dr Larian did my first surgery. In answer to your question, my surgery went well and I am happy to report that my Calcium and PTH levels are normal. Since the adenoma that Dr Larian missed was inside my Thyroid, Dr Yeh had to remove the right lobe. I may have to take Thyroid replacement, but for now, we're waiting to see if it settles down. I am very grateful to Dr Yeh and although he is outrageously busy he is truly a brilliant surgeon. As for Dr Larian, I don't know what to say.

Hi Jim…I am 2 months post surgery with Dr Yeh. Everything went well…Ca and PTH normal (finally). Right lobe of Thyroid was removed along with the adenoma. Feeling more like my old self after this ''rough'' ride.

Is there a surgeon in the Washington DC area that does MIRP?  

Try searching the internet for AAES (American Association of Endocrine Surgeons). The surgeons who are members are experienced and more apt to do Parathyroid Surgery using MIRP. My surgeon, Dr Michael Yeh, is a member, although i didn't actually find him on there. The website will allow you to look for doctors in the D.C. area. Hope this helps.