Dr Campbell at UC Davis is awesome. You can barely see my incision

Dr. Gordon has left the OR before adequately insuring several patient's ioPTH had dropped appropriately, resulting in surgical failures. Perhaps the addition of gamma probe usage will increase his stats now if he utilizes both adjuncts....who knows.

Dr Emory Chen at Woodland Healthcare was very responsive, found the adenoma immediately after  two other doctors in the UC Davis system missed it. He removed it leaving a barely visible scar and all has been well since. When we first called him, he was on vacation but answered our call. After the surgery he used his iPhone to photograph the removed adenoma for us. I could not be happier with the experience with him of only a few week after 2 frustrating years dealing with UC Davis docs. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

How is your son doing now. Has he had any other health problem. I am 55 and I was told all 4 are bad.

Hey, I had surgery there also with similar results. I was so mad. They said they must have missed another one. Where did you end up going for 2nd surgery. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have my initial consultation with him tomorrow. Thanks for you review.

As in "missed it" do you mean you had two previous surgeries? I've had two "can't find it surgeries" by two very well known surgeons. Since the last surgery, 6 years ago, I've been on Sensipar, alendronate sodium, I was taking hydrochlorothiazid (caused me to panic when driving, but no one believes me), attempting to eat a non-oxalate diet (dreadful if you were once a very healthy eater), keeping my sodium intake at about 1500mg per day, see an endocrinologist researcher who specializes in parathyroid issues and a urologist who specializes in parathyroid issues and kidney stones. The worst things is I do a lot of backpacking and traveling abroad. It pisses me off that I constantly have to be aware of kidney stones and hairline fractures. I tend to worry most when traveling in countries that have an inadequate medical system. You don't want to be in the less than 1% of unsolved parathyroid issues. It sucks! Plus you have a pretty good idea of what's coming when you're in your 60's, which is not too far away for me. I think I'm just waiting for a new imagining technique, but I now in the monitoring phase. No explanation of immediate solution.

By "missed it" I mean the UCD docs never even considered hyperparathryoidism, despite my wife's high calcium and host of other symptoms.. Never ordered a PTH blood test or even had a clue about what was wrong until I mentioned to the last one what I learned on Dr Norman's site ind insisted on the PTH testing.
After I finally convinced the last UCD doc to order the PTH test, it showed about 9.7 while the calcium was over 10. Sure indication of hyperparathyroidism. That's when I started looking for an experienced doc and found Dr. Chen. He found it with an ultrascan in about 2 minutes...No kidding! I was watching! He showed my how he knew when others might miss it. An adenoma, like a healthy parathyroid reflects no echo. When he saw a large area with no echo where he should have been seeing other recognizable features he knew he was looking at a large parathyroid adenoma. When he took it out it was about the size of a medium-sized grape or my (a man) thumbnail and the thumb under it. It's supposed to be the size of a grain of rice. If someone feels your neck looking for a swollen parathyroid gland, you will know immediately they don't know what they are doing. You can't find them that way...they are too soft.

What's your PTH and calcium levels? If both high and sestamibi scan didn't find it, you may be one of the few where the parathyroid glands are in an unusual place.

Sestamibi test...I have it done every two years. Look up venous sampling if you're interested. I've undergone this antiquated test twice. You're right about the gland hidden in an unusual place. They think it's lodged in my larynx. As I said, you don't want to be an unsolved parathyroid case. I've been turned down several times when volunteering for a study, and I'm willing to fly anywhere at my expense. I remember my first endocrinologist saying that I would be a perfect candidate for a research study. Nope, apparently not so. It's all about drug management now, and this is coming from someone who never took drugs for anything prior to having bilateral fractures in my heels 8 years ago. I stopped running but still hike and do long backpacking trips, although I've been encouraged to change my lifestyle. I don't mean to kvetch, I'm okay with it, but I haven't met anyone else that has this rare issue and that's why I replied to your post. Regards.

"it" could be lodged in your larynx? You normally have 4 parathyroid glands but you probably know that. I have heard anecdotal reports of people finding them in their chest. It seems like, if you have one of them going berserk and pumping out too much Parathyroid hormone, as is "typical" in hyperparathyroidism, when they infuse the radioactive dye for the sestamibi, a larger body scan ought to locate the glowing gland(s), wherever it/they is/are. Has anybody taken that "out of the box" approach?  And why do they think it's lodged in your larynx?  Having any hoarseness symptoms or do scans show it there?  Also, what did the other surgeons have to go on to go looking for it?

Have you tried contacting Dr Babak Larian in LA? He is an excellent and meticulous surgeon. My adenoma didn't show on a sestamibi but he found it hidden by a thyroid nodule. He uses teh radio probe when necessary. I suggest that you look up his website and contact him. He is very good about calling people to answer questions. I talked with him about ten times before my surgery. I wish you luck, I know you are miserable.

I have been reading these posts for a long time, hoping to find a more recent one (or more) that applies to my situation. I don't know if you are "mass'' who speaks in glowing terms of Dr. Larian in L.A., but he doesn't use the radio probe anymore, just the Intra-operative PTH testing, and he couldn't find a 4th gland, removed 2 "enlarged glands" and I a now having high calcium, out of range PTH and am again symptomatic for an adenoma…I agree, he is a good surgeon; kind and well-trained, and I really like him a lot, but now…i am frustrated to say the least. Additionally I was referred to an Endocrinologist who in spite of all the labs (urine showing high calcium as well) she doesn't think I have persistent disease.

Maybe it's time you bit the bullet and got set up with Dr Norman in Florida. That's what we almost did when we discovered Dr Emory Chen in Woodland, CA. Although our family doc and an endocrinologist doubted my wife had "persistent disease" Chen found it in just a few minutes, removed it and showed us a picture of it, curing my wife. Did you see any photos of your removed glands? The only reason I'm recommending Dr Norman is because you've already had surgery. I'm hoping your surgeon didn't drop a piece of the adenoma, if there actually was one or two. They will regenerate.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I have actually been looking for Dr Emory Chen in Woodland for some time now. I have searched the internet extensively…no success. Where is he and how would I get in touch with him. As for Dr Norman, I am about to go that route. Had sent records to Florida before I spoke with Dr Larian and since I live in California decided to have surgery closer to home. I don't believe he ''dropped' anything, but one never knows. I think there is a ''hidden'' tumor somewhere. The 4th one was not where it was supposed to be. I think you are right about biting the bullet. Thanks again Jim.

My bad for not spelling his first name right, Google Dr. Emery Chen, Woodland Health Care. He's a general surgeon. Ii would give you his phone number and address but the moderator will redact that here. Found it by searching all physicians in Woodland, CA. Good luck!