Hey girls, I have been reading your posts on the 3 year Mirena deal and wanted to share my experience as well. I have had the Mirena for three years, eight months now and have loved it! I am 48, and had it put in for heavy bleeding. (We are trying to make it to Menopause without a hysterectomy!) This last week, I started bleeding very heavy and passing a lot of large clots. Needless to say, panic set in quickly! I have had to wait days to get in to see my gyno. After 8 days of a horrible period, it has finally started winding down for several hours before spotting or passing small clots again, but it IS finally slowing down. My doctor examined me thoroughly today and said that this type of heavy bleeding all of a sudden is NOT a sign of any cancer, my fibroids have not grown, and he has recently seen this type of issue with a few other Mirena patients. In other words, the hormone is running out before it's supposed to. If I keep having any problems with bleeding in the next few weeks, we are just going to replace the Mirena with a new one since it worked so well controlling my periods. That's a relief, but I would definitely keep an eye on it if I were using it for birth control since it doesn't last up to the 5 year mark as promised with some. Thanks for your posts! I didn't feel so all alone with my problem!!

Hello. Im happy I found this .. Recently I started having pains always on my lower (Ovarys) right side always pain that that makes me wanna cry type of pain but. The other day (2 days ago),I started spotting an now im having a Heavy period that started yestrday.. But everysince I been on the IUD I never spotted or cramps. At Times I would have sharp bad pains but they were NOT cramps so I went to the doctor and they said that everything looked normal but I know something was wrong but everytime I go for a visit I ask for them to check it they say its okay but I just recently went an the doctor just said all I can tell you is that it's in your cervix.YOUR A DOCTOR JUST TELL IF ITS SOMETHING WRONG. THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING.. But I been in pain for awhile an wondering what you ladys think

Hello ladies! I've read everyone's posts and I am having the same problem. Three years with no cramping and periods and now I'm spotting. The cramps are getting horrible. It hurts without even bleeding. I got the iud in September 2007. I really hope it isn't losing its hormones this early! I still have til next year and without insurance, I can't afford another one. Other than recently, I love mirena. 

Well... I am at a cross-roads.  I have heard the blessing the Mirena has given to some... and the curse it has given to me.  I had my son in 2009 and had the Mirena put in after my 6 week checkup because I am over 35 yrs old and a smoker, I was no longer eligable for the pill (damn).  I waited several months for my irregular bleeding to stop and my weight loss to subside.  No go.  Complained to the doctor, was told to hold out for a couple more months.  Same thing, irregular bleeding, painful intercourse, weight loss, fatigue, cramping, muscle aches, headaches... got all the side effects.  Finally complained again, the doctor sent me for an ultrasound to find that my IUD was hanging in my cervix.  No longer attached to my uterus.  It has fallen out!!!  Luckily I didn't get pregnant.  So had that one removed and went to the OB/GYN to have the 2nd put in.  Well.  The incersion of teh 2nd was a hell of a lot less painful than the 1st.  However... the cramps, painful intercourse, irregular bleeding, headaches etc are WORSE!!!  I asked the family doctor to remove it... he went to remove it and couldn't find the bloody strings.  (GROWL!!!)  So here I am waiting for my appointment with my OB/GYN, bleeding irregular, don't enjoy sex cause its painful, headaches, fatigue (with a 2 yr old not a good thing), dizzyness, weakness, stumbling when I wake up I'm so weak... to finally get this damn thing OUT!!!!! I went from 120 lbs prior to pregnancy to 160 at end of term, down to 95 lbs.  I cannot wait. Maybe I'll find my boobs and butt at the end of this dark tunnel!!! lol :)

For those that have odd things happen, definitely go to your doctor.  Make sure there isn't something wrong. 

For those that have no problems and love the Mirena... Good for you!!! At least someone gets to enjoy it :)

I know this is an old thread, but I'm starting to have problems with my IUD too! It's starting to worry me. I had it inserted in March 2008 (3 months after my daughter was born) and for about the past 3 weeks, I've been bleeding. Usually I have one or two days of a light bleeding every 3-4 months. I guess I need to call my doctor, but I moved to another city (about an hour away) and I don't know any doctors up here! Along with the bleeding, I'm dizzy, nauseous, and usually have a headache. No one else mentioned being nauseous...? Is that just me? It worries me. 

This is the only birth control that has ever worked for me! (I got pregnant while taking the pill and while on the patch!) So, I'm kind of scared to lose this one! I don't know what I'll do without it! =( I can't have anymore kids (literally, my obgyn in my old city said that I could not carry another child to term). So I'm pretty petrified!  

I don't know what to do!

Ok so I am having the same issues, well kinda. I had mirena placed in, in 2009 i had not had a child but was allowed to have it in because I am not able to have kids. I am 22 yrs old and I am a little afraid of whats going on. I recently started back up at the gym vigorously and all of a sudden I had a sharp pain in my right side the pain went all the way up to my neck. It was so painful I had to stop and sit, I felt like I would faint from the pain. Then the next day I had some light bleeding I figured it was because of the exercise no issue, but I just keep bleeding, its been 20 days now and its a constant bleeding. I still have pain sometimes in my ovaries but not really sure what to do. I do love my mirena because it stopped all of my periods for almost 3 yrs and now all of a sudden its started back. Any body have an answer or just reasurance:-)

i had my second son back in sept of 2010 he is 9 months old i had the iud placed 4 weeks after my son was born i had a period that lasted 6 weeks after the iud was placed then i have had a period every month since then that last for 5 days and several times after having sex i have bleeding there have been times that i couldnt have sex because my iud caused so much pain i have only had this thing for a short while and im ready to get it out NOW im sick of it plus the string that my husband used to be able to feel well that thing has disappeared !!!!!!

Well now... I saw my OB/GYN and guess what.  HE CANNOT FIND IT!!!!  
I have to now go for a DNC and a laproscopic surgery - but that is not until SEPTEMBER!!!!

If you are having problems with the Mirena, I would strongly suggest you get it out and perhaps look at the other IUD on the market that does not release the hormone and give that a try if you cannot take the pill or other contraceptives.  Some of use apparently cannot use this miracle birth control, or so they call it.  

The headaches, dissiness, nauseous, irratibility etc... All still coming.  I even took a pregnancy test the other week cause I hadn't bleed for 5 weeks!!!   
This damn thing is coming out ... I keep bugging my OB to bump up my surgery.  *Keeping my fingers crossed*

Hello Ladies

hav read most of the blogs and am so pleased to know i am not going crazy with symptoms.  i had a mirena inserted under ga 3 and a bit yrs ago and mostly it has been ok, altho i dont like not knowing where i am at in my cycle bc there has been practically no bleeding, (that is after the initial irregularity of the first 6 months or so).  once this settled down, sometimes i would feel the pmt symptoms and wonder if i was pre menstrual or not but i wasnt really sure.  anyway, the reason i had it inserted was to remedy heavy bleeding that was accompanied by bad headaches and nausea, sometimes vomiting.  well that was mostly remedied, especially the heavy bleeding, not so much the headaches, but in the last 3 months i have had more normal periods (which is fine), but increasing frequency (presently once a fortnight)  but the headaches, nausea, fatigue and dizziness are unbearable now and i feel sure it is the mirena that has brought on these symptoms. 

after reading all the blogs, i am definitely going to have mine removed and try and balance my hormones with natural therapies! i know i hear ya (good luck with that) but if it goes well - i will let you know.  its either that or have a hysterectomy - according to my gynae.

i was never really sure about it in the first place, but when i queried my gynae about how it is meant to work, is reply was "leave the science to me".  it is my body and i should have pressed him for more answers as to how one size mirena could possibly fit all. i am so cynical about the medical profession that i am quite sure the gynae receives a handsome commission or holiday overseas for the more mirena he fits! Liz (Australia)

hello, my name is Deanna. and i got my IUD March 21, 2011 and haven't stopped bleeding since. its lightened up some but ill stop for a day then bleed the next. it makes no sense to me. because i was told i should stop bleeding after the first 3 months and here we go still. i ha ve bad depression and sever pains, and some weight gain, and cannot lose. its driving me crazy because i don't want it to take it out, due to the fact i have a baby December 27, 2010. and my boyfriend is very firtle lol and no other birth control works for me, ive tried the pill and have heard stories about the shot, so i don't want that. so im screwed but cant take this bleeding anymore. its a huge inconvenience. help.

thank you - Deanna

I have had the Mirena since 2007 and love it.  A few weeks ago started spotting - nothing heavy - but since the IUD was inserted, I have had no bleeding at all.  I thought - like many others on here - that it was possible that the hormones had run low and my body was working back to normal cycles.  Called OBGYN for yearly and mentioned having it removed due to the bleeding and having new one inserted.

During the visit - today actually - due to the bleeding - they scrapped the yearly exam and gave me a vaginal ultrasound to check the placement of the IUD, look for cysts or any other causes.  All was fine.

Dr theories on what was going on was hormonal - estrogen and progesterin should be balanced - the IUD has release progesterin - granted low, localized dose - but possible to have too much.  I am 40 and could also be experiencing early menapause. 

His solution was to place me on low dose estrogen for 30 days - come back - do PAP and blood work to see what may be going on.

I'm wary of the estrogen - but am willing to give it a try  ---Has any one else been given the same solution? Second opinion?

ACollins: Our situations are very similar. I am also 40 and got my mirena in may 2007. I had no periods for the first 3.5 or 4 years but have been experiencing frequent pms/pmdd symptoms and periods just for the past 4 – 6 months. I went on Zoloft a few months ago to handle the mood swings (pmdd treatment) but I have horrible cravings, bloating etc that aren’t resolved by this.

FYI: I had a norplant 10 or 15 years ago and had no periods for the first few years but started irregular bleeding about a year before it was supposed to be removed. I was able to successfully control it with estrogen along with the norplant, but the benefit of norplant and mirena, for me, is that I don’t have to take something every day!

I am not medically trained in any fashion, but I do not think this is age related. I think it’s a drop in hormone levels that has this effect for some women.

My doctor is willing to replace my mirena with a new one, and I’m going to take her up on it. Good luck in resolving your situation.

Update: I got my mirena replaced today. It was actually due to be replaced in 8 or 9 months, but as I posted above I was having lots of pms/pmdd symptoms recently . Taking out the old one was a breeze - a quick strong cramp and out it was! I forgot how much it hurt to put one in though:-( Of course, that lasted no more than a few minutes and I am now good to go for 4-5 years at $30 (including dr visit and ultrasound to make sure it's placed correctly.) I have a follow up in a month to shorten the strings if necessary.

Thanks to everyone who posted. It was good to know the returning periods didn't just happen to me.

Good luck to everyone!

well it 2012 and march marks my 3 years rite of passage with mirena .Just like many of all the heavy bleeding has arrive and the bleeding after intercourse and mood swings.I think they should do another study on this and include with the side effects.I have appointment next week with my doctors and hopefully the mirena would be remove.i have had 3 c-sections and wondering if mirena is only good for vaginal births.and if so women need to be told this before giving mirena.

I'm so glad I read here. I am on my second coil. I have been having terrable night sweats, 2 or 3 times a night. I have a pain that starts under my left breast and goes right down the whoile side, and today I'm starting to bleed, and with clots. I suffer with anxiety, and I was scared what was happening.