I also have this problem...I am only 20 and im 16 weeks pregnant and my middle finger on my right hand is just in so much pain. There is little pin point bruises along with swelling of the skin on the top of my finger and also on the bottom of my finger. anybody know what this is causes by? Its kinda like a blister then turns into a few pin point bruises and then swells up..I would go to get it checked out but unfortunatly i dont have a car at this moment.Somebody please help

I don't know if this is the same thing as you all or not, but I'm very confused.

I'm 22 and I have MVP. I'm a bartender, and I was popping open a bottle of beer, a strange tingling, painful sensation started occurring around the knuckle of my thumb. I tried to flex out the pain but moving my thumb around just made the pain worse and my vein visible and raised but only on my knuckle. Nowhere else on my hand at all, or on the thumb. Just the knuckle. I iced it down for a few minutes but that didn't seem to help. Within an hour it's a deep purple and looks like a bruise. Still very painful to move my thumb, and it's now a red color. This has NEVER happened to me. I don't think it could be a vitamin deficiency, I take 17 different vitamins and herbal supplements a day for the MVP, including Vitamin C. Very strange nonetheless.

sooo.. nobodys gotten an answer yet? itd sure be helpful. for the past couple of days i realized i have various bruises on nearly all my knuckles. on both hands! i havent done anything to cause them... and they dont hurt so bad so far. at first i thought the spots were just dirty marks made from writing a letter with an inky, messy pen... but when i tried washing them off.. they went away for a few minutes.. but appeared once again! my hands are always cold. i have no idea what may be causing this and it would be very very helpful if somebody has an answer.. or even an idea out there! im not old.. im only 14, so it cant be caused by aging! Haha. that ones crossed out on the vast list.(: im hoping its no leukemic... but im pretty sure its not!

Thanks!!

Cortney

cortney, what you have sounds like reynaud's. my niece has it as well. i have this issue with "popped veins" about every 3 or 4 months and it is very painful. i've had pretty much the same reaction from my doctor as many of you "it just happens" grrrr

it does happen worse when the weather is very cold or dry, or changes extremely from cold to warm quickly (like right before it snows after being -25, like today). the best advice i can give is ice the spot and hope for the best

Possible Answer:

Every time that my wife has had this swollen and bruise finger/ knuckle has been the day and days after she drank allot of caffeine (coffee). I extend to you all an invitation to remember if you had more than usual amount of coffee before this happened? also if you take away caffein in your system if you are still getting this swallen pain in the fingers? (this means not drinking, tea, coffe, sodas)

I hope this works, did to my wife.

Hello Everyone, thank you for your posts. It is gratifying to see others have this same issue---though I'm sorry to read that so many of us are black and blue! I'm female, 46 years old, and for the past year and a half or so have also experienced intermittent, spontaneous and unwarranted swelling and bruising on my hands and feet. This happens either due to a light touch on an object, i.e. the bottom of my foot on my shoe, or my fingers on a weight bar (I work out a lot), but nothing which should cause trauma. The area becomes immediately painful and swollen and then quickly turns blue/black, which resolves in a few days---the same as others have described! I drink almost no caffeine (no soda or coffee), take additional vitamin C (as it's water soluble and can't be overdone), and have a healthy diet and level of fitness. (Not sure about Vitamin K, though, which was previously mentioned here.) I've taken pictures of my blackened finger(s) and have shown them to a rheumatologist (to whom I was referred my primary physician, who witnessed my blackened finger first-hand). I'm now taking notes every time this happens--what I ate, when it happened, etc.-- previously months apart but lately more frequently. The rheumatologist is baffled and is now sending me to a hematologist; I also wondered if this could be anemia-related, though my bloodwork is all good and I tested negative for the lupus complex of disorders. So---anyone out there---could this be a medication effect? I've taken inhaled corticosteroids long-term for asthma prevention---anyone else? I wonder if there could be a connection there. Thanks again for sharing your experiences, as maybe we can figure this out together!

I have a raised purple bump on my index finger and I think it may be from using scissors. I was doing a lot of fine detailed cutting with metal handled scissors the other day and I think the pressure may have burst a blood vessel. I am considering seeing my doctor as it is pretty painful and swollen. I have also noticed that the area around it feels warmer (almost hot) than the rest of my fingers. If I get any answers I will be sure to post them here.

Unbelievable - I've had this happen to me for years and I'm now 44. It is always in my fingers sometimes without even touching anything at all, I feel a raised lump which is VERY painful to touch. If left totally alone it sometimes goes away but usually bursts leaving a blue/purple bruise. Just had one on my index finger and then 2 days later on my thumb so decided to look it up and am so surprised to find it happening to lots of other people too! A few years ago, I knelt on the floor and felt that familiar pain on my knee. When I looked at it I had an enormous purple bruise which took days to go away? Not had it on my knees since though.

If any doctors are reading this site, PLEASE tell us what it is? What worries me most is if its happening in my hands could it happen in my brain....???!!!!

What a surprise! I have had this happen every now and then for several years. It starts with s pain on the inside of one of my fingers and a raised bump which then leads to a very raw looking blue/purple bruise which takes several days to go away. I onec had it happen on my knee and had a terrible bruise for nearly 2 weeks?? But it only usually happens on my fingers? Does anyone know what it could be??!!

I’m also glad to find that I’m not the only one….am hopeful that someone will be able to explain it. I was just doing the dishes two days ago when my thumb started hurting like crazy. It got very swollen and turned dark, then after an hour or so, the swelling went down and it was okay. It’s still a little bit tender and a little bit bruised. This happened with another finger probably a few months ago, and several times before that. Never thought too much about it until this last time, and now I’m on a mission to find the reason. Someone mentioned vitamin K deficiency which I’m going to check out. Good luck to everyone!

I just came across this forum. I have the same problem with my fingers. I used to think it happened out of nowhere, but since reading these replies I realise I am getting it whenever I grab a door handle a little bit too hard. I mean - nothing out of the ordinary - no harder than a normal person would grab a slightly awkward to turn door handle. But the effect on me is a an immediate hardening of a portion of a finger - sometimes the whole finger - and pretty painful too. Sometimes my finger will turn almost purple.

I told a doctor and who said he had no idea.

I have the same problem on my thumb and have it for a few years now. However, i'm only 18 and i have not yet seen a doctor. It's almost as if i've become so used to having it i always forget it's there until some days it flares up and i can barely touch anything. The raised blue/purple bump is so sensitive and really hurts to even touch.... i can see alot of people had the same problem, because i've yet to meet anyone who has this. It's really embarrassing and it's frustrating when it becomes so painful and swollen because i can't use it without feeling pain. I really, seriously plan on seeing a doctor soon and hopefully i'm able to get answer because it's getting really bad.

I've had the same as a lot of people on this forum- for the last ten years or so (I'm58) a painful little bruise happens for no really good reason on any one of my fingers. It's usually in the fleshy bit between the joints, and I have found that elevating the hand and applying pressure to the painful spot limits how big and painful it gets- if I catch it in time it's gone within a very short time. I got one the other day, unusually, on a joint which I had knocked lightly, and this time my 'cure' didn't work at all, the finger swelled and went quite black- it looks ok now but out bike riding it remained cold when the rest of my hand had warmed up. Very wierd. Must be something to do with the circulation I suppose, perhaps a little residual blood clot blocking things up. I went to the doc when this all started happening and was tested for clotting, which was apparently normal. I'm reluctant to take it any further unless it gets much worse- there are an awful lot of things that the doctors can't label and you just learn to live with them, and I think this is just one of them. Nice to know I'm not the only one though!

Absolutely. I think it's little blood clotts which burst through the vein causing bruising. It seems to be reasonably common, but just concerned about why it happens and whether this means it's possible it could happen amywhere in the body?!! Never mind - we're all still alive and kicking!!

Someone told me to eat the white part of an orange, the stuff under the orange skin. That used to work for me, but lately I am getting painful lumpy swollen bruises more often.