I am experiencing the same thing. I have had them in the past and they have gone away, but this time I have had one for a week and it's still here. Its a small and painful purple lump underneath my skin in the crease of my finger. I have tried pressing it but it really is painful. Thought about popping it but it's waaay underneath my skin. Are they just bruises or something more serious??

so today walking down the stairs i felt a pop in my index finger walking down 5/7 flights i noticed a blue shade starting to form in the area i felt the pop right there i knew my thoughts was correct.. I popped a vain.. now i been reading cause like every one first thought comes to mind when looking at your hands at this point after is "i am getting old" and yeah that is natural but not the case.. since there is no look into why this happens or cause as but stated as a rare thing and condition i did a flash back of when i was young and thought of all the times i figured ways to pop my knuckles and joints in my hands and thought maybe that could be one or could be the times i over use chemicals to clean the house and bathroom areas especially bleach or the times i play games on the pc and def clicking on the mouse is a thing you over do when you just want the command to work that that RT moment lol.. but its def not something to worry about but know that what we got is unique and rare and i guess we should take care of it before it gets lopped off... medically its nothing to worry about happens from a skin condition rare af but nothing that has to do with the heart or blood clots or something that makes you think ur going to pass out and die after but its def something to take note upon your self and find things that work for you really cause docs will just look at you chuckle and like dr hibbert will say its nothing but some how dr nik comes in and says well fingers got to go lol gl to all just wanted to share

Thank you. Someone answered, because I just had it happen and it's 0 degrees in NY and woke up with one (scary) on the inside middle joint of middle finger and found this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raynaud's_phenomenon

The best I can tell is it's this, though I and everyone else should follow up with their dr.  Happened to me upon waking up today.

I too have experienced this a few times in the last several years it feels like my vein is tugged on and I can see the blueness in my finger and it hurts and then it bruises... For those who have put posted earlier would you say these are the similar symptoms that you've experienced

I have this happen to me as well and I also have fibromyalgia....hmmm

I have had this for the past few years, with no reason apparent for it starting. I am currently 43.

It normally happens when I grab something and I can tell a finger is going to have issues as I get a tingling sensation in a joint (normally the lower knuckle) on the inside of the finger. Then, I have a period of pain and swelling around the joint before turning red. It will stay this way for some time before the sweling goes down and the redness turns to a purplish bruise. I am unable to bend my finger whilst it is swollen and can be quite painfull.

I have been to the doctor about it, but wasn't much help. Still to find something on the web to explain it.

I have similar symptoms to what a lot of people who have posted on here.

After a lot of reasearch on the internet, I believe that I am suffering from one of two possible conditions:

1. Achenbach syndrome, or Paroxysmal haematoma of the fingers2. Raynaud's phenomenon

Hope this information goes to helping some of you understand the symptoms you are experiencing.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

This just happened to me! For no apparent reason, a purple bruise looking lump on my middle finger joint appeared. It felt like a sting or glass at first then more like a bruise. Within 2 hours it was gone. I kept rubbing and bending it and it went away! Very weird!!!! I'd love to know exactly what it was.

This has happened to me several times now. I don't know of any thing in particular that I have noticed prior to the bruising, which is on the inside of my thumb, at the joint.

Have you been checked for Reynauds disease?

I have same problem today I barley hit my ring finger right hand and instant pain and bruised very quickly I'm 15 weeks pregnant and my friend a RN told me that it is caused when having thin blood I took some Tylenol last night but I do think it had anything that could thin my blood going for a check up soon and hopefully I'll get better answers

After reading these treats, think we are more than just a coincidence but the professionals still don't pay attention. I start getting this sharp pains and bruises on my hand ten years ago (close to my 50s) and since then, the doctors at Kaiser still don't have an answer.
In my case, nothing of this happens to me before. In other words, this is not a condition I carried all my life, this is something is either trigger by the age or by something else that to this point I still don't have an answer for.
We need the input of some professionals here, any body...? Thanks.

I have the same problem it happened yesterday carrying a grocery bag. I hurt like heck and still a little swollen and bruised. I got scared.

I have this problem aswell. Got a bad one this morning and have been told i should go to see a doctor. Doesnt look like they can do much by the sounds of it. But its definately not nice xxxx