Hi , I am 48 and have been getting these bruises on my fingers for the past year. I have one now after picking up something yesterday and got one this morning.
I am a bit worried as I 'm sure there must be a reason, hopefully its not a serious one.
I'll see the doc if it keeps happening.

I just had this happen to me last night on my palm at the bottom of my index finger and middle finger. It looks as though a vein becomes ingorged or blocked. It hurts like heck. Kind of a burning stinginging sensation but there is no trauma to cause it. I usually get this in my finger joints but I have also had it on my palms, toes and my lip. This has been going on for several years. When I mentioned it to my Doctor at the time, He looked at me as though I were a hypocondriac and was very dismissive. These episodes last five to ten minutes and leave a visible bruise and tenderness after. I'm glad to see so many others describe this same thing. I'm not crazy. Does anyone know what the cause is? Has anyone had a Doctor that knows what this is or one that is willing to investigate?

I've had this happen to me a couple of times, it's quite painful with the bee sting sensation, then relaxes to bruised feeling.  I think it's a blood/vein issue, could be mild like varicose veins or much more severe.  This article really explains it, particularly the part about Raynaud's Disease and losing circulation to that part of the finger.  I wonder if a surgical procedure can be done like they do for varicose veins...   http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/vascular/whatis.aspx

yea me 2

Yep, just had this happen to me for the first time. I was pulling wet laundry out of the washer and putting it into the dryer, and all of a sudden I got a burning/itching/tingling sensation on the top side of my left index finger, on the 2nd joint. It felt like I had a cut and something was getting into it. I rubbed it for a couple of seconds and the pain kind of went down to a bruised feeling. About an hour later it was bright purple and swollen.

I have recently started getting this too. One person earlier made a comment that she was a "ginger" or redhead. Me too. It would be interested to see how many people that have this have red hair. Mine is definitely not a ganglion. I have one of those on my wrist, and it is not painful or bruised. It is just there and has been for years. I swear it is scary to see how little doctors really know. Mine happened when I was carrying groceries in plastic bags. I overloaded the bags a bit, so I assumed I just injured my finger (underside opposite side of the top knuckle). My entire ring finger turned purple, and it definitely hurt right under that knuckle. The bruising disappeared after two days, but now it keeps coming back, and I dont' remember doing anything that would have injured it again. My husband thinks it is broken. Who knows; it could be. I suspect maybe a damaged blood vessel, but I guess we'll never know as the doctors have no clue.

I just got this too! About a half hour ago I grabbed a door knob and twisted it and pulled kind of awkwardly and I got this instant burning painful bruising in my left index finger. The inside of my knuckle there is purple bruised. I was kind of freaking out at first. First time this ever happened to me, I'm a 25 healthy male. I guess I will give it a few days and hopefully the swelling goes down. I hope this doesn't affect my softball game at all! Good luck to all of you and hopefully we can get a reason why this happens.

My symptoms are the same as everyone else's but I was wondering if typing on a keyboard every day has something to do with it. I used to only get once in a while but the other day I got it 3 times. I've had carpel tunnel symptons before, I'm on my period right, I drink a lot of coffee (followed by water) and am 37 yrs old. I don't take any vitamins but try to eat healthy.    

OK maybe I spoke too soon. I saw a physician, and she did explain what this is. She said that I injured my finger (which I did when I carried a grocery sack that was very heavy). She said it broke some capillaries. They are very delicate, and they are basically bleeding under the skin. The purple went away and returned after a short time, because the capillaries are still damaged and easily opened up again. She said eventually the body will absord the damaged capillaries and others will take their place.

I'm 56 and have fibromyalgia. I think your GP should have x-rayed it and possibly referred you to a rheumatlogist. I just had a similar bulging vein pop up on my right knee. I've got an appointment to see about it in a week. If it's gone, great! If not maybe I can get an answer. It seemed an odd placefor a "varicose" vein.

I have the same problem but in my thumb, had it for years since I was a kid, been to many dr's, had xrays and blood work, no one seems o know what it is

I have this for a while now. It seems to happen when I knock my hand in certain areas, it doesn't have to be very hard either, just to catch it wrong . It does seem to be on a vein though and I watched the vein track to the bubble of blood which swelled. Only a small swelling under skin but soo painfull. Have had this on my fingers and palm of hand. I pressed on the swelling and tried to massage, it hurt ! But I kept it going and after 20 mins of this off and on, baring in mind how much it hurt doing it. It has almost gone.. Press and hold it first off as too painfull to rub..

good my friend

This has happened to me 3 times this year: always end of the right pinky finger. Seems to happen overnight, since I notice it first thing in the morning. Painful, purple, swollen, and it takes about a week to go  away. Typing is very painful, I have to wrap it in two band-aids to cushion it. BTW I drink only 1 cup coffee a day, and had Reynaud's as a child, but the cold hasn't bothered my extremities in decades (I am 48).

Yes, this has been happening to me for maybe 6 yrs.  I'm 52,  Mentioned to my mum and she said she gets it too and I've seen her fingers black like mine.  I think my sister says she sometimes gets it.  Very weird and annoying and happens for the slightest touch some days.  We have no health issues with bruising other wise.