I have had a neuroma between my 2nd and 3rd toe for 4 years. I have had several cortisone shots in it and it has helped a lot. The pain is gone but the toes are still separated because of the size of the neuroma. I am having bunion and hammer toe surgery on the same foot and am wondering, after hearing these stories if I am better off leaving the neuroma alone as long as it has been pain free
for 6 months.

I had mortons neuroma surgery on my left foot This past Wednesday so far so good, Just wanted to know did you still have some burning a couple days later? Maybe were I have been on my foot alot?

I am also having extreme pain and it's getting more swolloing but that sounds like a great idea my doc gave me a boot to walk in a few days ago but it is hurting again feeling more swolling, I'll try thye toe seperated

I had my second MN removed 2 weeks ago and at first I was wondering why I did it, but now I am feeling much better. I did have the shooting pains for about 2 days and the burning and tingling but that has almost cleared completely. I am very numb between my 2nd and 3rd toe as i was told I would be. I have noticed though that some numbness has gone away. I couldn't stand the pain before the surgery so I felt that surgery was my only option. I am glad i did it and I believe it will be well worth it in a few months. However...I HATE this blue shoe....I look like a fashion disaster!!!!! ;-)

I had nueroma surgery about 9 weeks ago after having pain in my left foot for about a year. At first the doctors thought it was broken and wore a boot for 4 months but still had pain after that. I then got a third option and this doctor said that it really is Mortons Nueroma and you can either live with the pain or have surgery. I was so ready so get rid of the pain I just said do the surgery. Well I don't have the pain anymore but I have a bit of swelling due to walking on my heel and from limping for so long from the pain. It is a long healing process but if you listen to the doctors and ice it and don't over due it you should heel well. I am trying to be patient after so long with pain. I do wish the swelling would go away so I can wear a closed in pair of shoes. Sandals work fine but fall is around the corner. Has anyone else had this swelling after 9 weeks. I have a sit down job ad most of the swelling is in the evening or when I put a closed in shoe on.

OMG you can not believe how happy i am i found this site!....
I mortans and had it removed now i have the same pain, burning, stinging in the other foot... I went to my GP who said he could not see a nueroma but has sent me for a x ray...

My trouble is the last one was on top of my foot and this seems to be under my foot... Will there be a lump underneath? i had a huge lump on the top of my foot..
Also my calf is killing me, not when im restinf it fine but walking it fills like i have had really back cramp? anyone had this??

I'd be very grateful if anyone would reply...

I have found all these messages really helpful when I was deciding what to do about my Mortons Neuroma, so I feel I should share my experience and it may help others too. I first got pain in my right foot in Dec 2008. I went to a podiatrist and had an ultra sound, nothing showed up so I was given a gait analysis and course of physio and hard insoles for my shoes. After 4 months of physio my core muscles were getting stronger but the pain in my foot was still extreme. I returned to my GP who referred me to another foot specialist. He examined me and I was gievn x-rays and MRI scans, nothing showed up on either scan. My doctor examined my foot and was pretty sure that I had a neuroma so we decided to try the cortisone shots. I was relieved to find out what was wrong with my foot as from the original pain to the diagnosis 2 years had passed. The cortisone shot gave me some relief for a couple of weeks but the pain returned. I discussed the options of surgery with my doctor and read up about it on the internet so that I was aware of the pros and cons. I discussed these with my doctor who honestly explained the risks - loss of feeling in toes, potential to lose a toe altogether, post op pain etc, he also explained how best to manage my foot post op to recover as well as possible.
I decided to go for the operation and I had it 1 month ago. My doctor decided to cut in on both sides of my middle toe as he suspected I had 2 neuroms and that was why the cortisone had not worked. He was right, there was one either side of my middle toe. The incision was on the top of my foot and the op was under local but I was sedated and don't remember a lot. I did ask to see the neuromas which looked like chewed up pieces of gum.
After the op I was sent home with a thick bandage on my foot, crutches and a soft shoe to put on top of the bandage. I rested for 2 weeks with my foot raised as much as possible, and I applied ice packs regularly, I kept my foot raised at night as well. I tried to walk a little every day, I live in a flat so had to make it up and down 2 floors to get outside but I think this was worth it. It was painful some days, especially the neural pain and the swelling. My bandages and stitches were removed 2 weeks after my op. My doctor told me to massage my foot regularly ( I do this at least 3 times a day), to dip my foot in alternating bowls of cold and hot water to stimulate the nerves and to roll my foot (with pressure) on a small bottle of frozen water - this has helped a lot and gives my foot a lot of relief and exercise. 3 weeks after the operation I was back at work. I work 9 hour shifts where I am standing up all day, I can only sit in my 45 min break. I am not very speedy on my feet but I have not had excessive pain from being at work. My doctor also referred me to Physio Therapy. This is really working out for me as not just from the operation but from the years before I have developed an abnormal walk, resulting in a limp and I avoid putting pressure on the ball of my right foot. That foot is a lot weaker than my left and needs to be massaged between the metatarsal to help get back the flexibility. The Physio has given me exercises to build up my strength in my right leg and foot and to try and get my brain to realise that I can use this foot normally now. I have started going back to Pilates classes - which are really helping me and I am riding my bike again. As a result of all the exercise and trying to use my foot normally I am getting muscle pain in my calf, thigh and hip but it's not unbearable and is similar to any strain caused by exercise. As a result of the op I have no feeling in my middle toe and on the top and bottom of my foot next to it. It still feels uncomfortable, tight and as if I have cramp but this is getting less and less each week. I'll have to let you know how I'm doing in a few months and if it is worse or totally better than pre-op, for now all is going ok and I totally recommend the physio therapy, if only to be able to discuss the pain with someone and be given the confidence to work through it.

Hi I had 2 neuromas removed in May the doctors were great but i cant even put my bed sheet on it, This cant be right, can it?. They say i have complex regioal pain syndrome and they have got it early.

But this dont help me as i have shocking pain and burning and still in a flip flop in this weather.

Does anyone know what else can be done.

I have had two operations on my right foot for neuromas first one went through the top and the second one through the bottom of my foot the worst pain is feeling it now after 5 weeks from surgery It hurts more now walking on it than it ever did before

I should and wish I had just left the bugga in there I have had no relief big regrets 

Thank you for sharing this info. I am almost 2 weeks post op after removing a 9mm size neuroma off. Ii don't have much pain at all when i am off of the foot, but when i walk i do feel like the ball of foot is real tight with like someone else said,... a golf ball size area that shoots pings and pressure. I am glad you said it does get better, now i have hope!

I had mine removed 5 YEARS ago and I still have this feeling. I was told that it was because after the surgery, all the tissues fused together. So then I had to go in twice a month for six months to get a cortisone injection. (so painful)

It didn't help. I still feel the pain, I guess i just have gotten used to it. but now its causing knee and back pain.

I have just come out of surgery for neuroma removals between the 2nd/3rd and 3rd/4th web space on my right foot, but had one removed from my left foot six years ago. I was desperate for the surgery to take place rather than have injections as I had heard of such low success rates through this. I can honestly say it was the best decision I have ever made.

The post op pain diminished completely after about 4 weeks and I was able to walk on it without any problems after and six. I was even able to run the following years London Marathon and have never had any problems with it since. Here's hoping that this latest one will react in the same way!!

Good luck to all of you out there who are due to have/had it done.

RUMBA1234 wrote:

cldietl wrote:

It has been 5 months since I had my neuroma surgery and I am still having tingling and burning in my foot, it still feels like I am walking on a marble, and I can still walk no farther than 1 mile at a time. I used to be a walker and would walk appx 4 miles per day. Needless to say I am very frustrated. Has anyone else had this problem for this long of time too?

Does anyone know what else can be done.

Im about to have a neuroma removed (2 weeks time) & am dreading it after everything Ive read on here. I had a knee replacement 1 yr ago & am still having trouble with that, especially extreme sensitivity in scar area. Have seen consultant again today & he has given me some painkillers for nerve pain as he says that the op can upset all the nerves. I guess that the same can apply to the foot, so dont put up with the pain go bk to your dr & ask bout painkillers. Ones i've been given are Lycra. He said theyre only for short term use & should settle the nerves. Hopefully theyll start working before i have my neuroma removed. Maybe you should ask your doctor bout these tabs, they might help & maybe ask about physio. Also try looking into 'Inter x therapy'. Its for nerve pain. Hope this helps you.

I had the op on my left foot on friday and getting server pain on the opposite side to where they have cut.....feels like burning stinging and sharp pain, pain killers are not touching it. Dose any one no if this is normal.

i had it done may 2012 and my toe is still knumb and hard as a brick ...it tingles like hell the only feeling i have is at the tip of my toe.....if you touch it i cant feel it.....i get burning from time to time and also cramps in my toes or as people call it charly horse i cant stand it when it does that cause it hurts like hell....and it is frustrating ...