ALRIGHT PEOPLE I AM NOT SAYING ANYTHING I AM JUST GUNNA GIVE YOU THE WEBSITE FOR YOURSELF!!! THIS IS A GOVERNMENT WEBSITE AND IF THAT IS NOT CREDIBLE ENOUGH FOR YOU THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT MORE YOU WANT!!! BUUUUUTTTT BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:

PRECUM DOES NOT HAVE SEMEN OR SPERM UNLESS PICKED UP FROM A PREVIOUS EJACULATION.............DONT THINK ITS TRUE WELL HERE YOU GO PROVE THIS WRONG..............

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=12762415

AS FOR ALL YOU GIRLS WHO HAVE BEEN IMPREGNATED BY "PRECUM" TRY THIS EXPLANATION:
GUYS ARE NOT ALWAYS CAPABLE OF KNOWING THEY ARE COMING
GUYS ARE DISHONEST AND THE IDEA OF PREGNANCY FREAKS US OUT SO WE WOULD LIE ABOUT THAT
AND AS A GIRL YOU WOULD HAVE NO IDEA BECAME YOU CAN NOT FEEL IF HE HAS OR NO SOMETIMES!!!

I JUST THOUGHT THAT IT WAS TIME SOMEONE ENDED THIS NONSENSE ABOUT PRECUM! HAVE A GREAT DAY PEOPLE, AND JUST DONT HAVE SEX ITS LESS STRESSFUL THAT WAY!!!!! AT LEAST UNTILL YOU WANT KIDS!

I would like to point out the ignorance of the previous poster.

NCBI and the NIH are government institutes that own and maintain PubMed, a website that compiles journal articles from thousands of journals and makes them easily accessible on the web.

The information contained on PubMed is not issued by the government per se, nor is the research presented on PubMed conducted by the government.

Instead, you'll find that the research you referenced was published in the Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics

I was reading a little bit about this as well. I always believed that there is no chance for a girl to get pregnant if there is just a precum, but it seems that this is not correct. It seems that if you do have a healthy sperm you can easily stay pregnant, even if there are so little cases. But, who knows. My bf and I were doing this, and now we don't do that anymore. I don't know honestly anyone who got pregnant this way, but I am not ready to have a kid, so it is way better to prevent. 

So even though the experiment in question wasn't conducted by the government, wouldn't it still be a reliable resource because it was published in a respectable journal? I'm currently having a scare because during foreplay with my girlfriend, I touched myself then touched her. Now I'm worrying about pregnancy, because even though she is on the pill and i wore a condom for the actual intercourse, she was on the last of her sugar pills, which means she starts on the real thing again tomorrow. It's late and I'm probably just being paranoid, but please respond if you know whether this experiment is real or not, or if you know the chances that she might get pregnant. Thank you.

I just saw your post while searching for something else and wanted to put your mind at ease. First of all, your girlfriend CANNOT get pregnant at any time while on the pill. The sugar pills are only taken to allow her to have a period. She is still protected from pregnancy. The pill is over 99% effective.

Secondly, I reviewed the paper the previous poster linked to, and it appears to be a legitimate study. Their methods seem sound. Also, I'm a medical student, and having just finished anatomy, there is not an anatomical way that I can see for sperm to get from your testes to your penis without an ejaculation. "Pre-cum" is a secretion of the Cowper's gland, which is "farther down the line" (we would say "distal" in medicine) than the testes. The only exception is if you have had a previous ejaculation and did not urinate afterwards. Then one might have sperm still in the urethra in which case you could have sperm in "pre-cum."

Please note: the best form of birth control is the pill. When used properly, it's more than 99% effective. If you're having sex or even just fooling around occasionally, consider getting on the pill. However, the pill does not protect you against sexually-transmitted disease, so consider using a barrier method in addition.

All of this sounds bogus, this is a hefty subject and I would not take the above advice, the sources and Authors do not look legit.

You might be a med student, but you obviously don't take into considerations the possibilities that have to be factored in. I'm pre-med and I know better than that. I'm taking it, you're in an M.D. med school because you sound like an a$$hole.
Birth control only works if it is taken the exact same time everyday for the whole time she is on birth control. That is for every birth control.
There is no best form because everyone is different and health issues need to be taken into consideration.
The only way to ensure that you're not going to get her pregnant is to have no sex or to double up on birth control methods. Such as wearing a condom and not touching anything that could possibly have sperm on it and then touching her female anatomy.
I have a friend that has gotten pregnant twice and she was on birth control. The girl never missed a pill. I know some people where if they missed one pill..they got pregnant. I know people who have gotten pregnant when the doctors told them there is no way in hell they can have kids.
About the pre-cum containing sperm, I agree, only if there is left over sperm and the guy didn't urinate before sex.
The med student guy is an a$$hole and wants to be right about everything but he's gonna need to realize as a doctor, you have to factor in possibilities because everyone is different and their physiology can be too. I pray to god he's not gonna specialize in OB/GYN!

I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. There is no sperm in pre-cum. There is only sperm if there was a previous ejaculation without urination from then and now.

You can still get pregnant on birth control. It is NOT 99% effective. I know 3 girls already this year who have gotten pregnant using the pill and they are using the pill correctly. Also, I was conceived on the pill and condoms both... so it can happen pretty much at any time. But precum has so little if any sperm that by the time it could even reach the egg it would be too exhausted. I have never met anyone impregnated by pre-cum. It is nearly impossible.

Sperm dies when exposed to oxygen. So touching things that contain sperm and then touching her female anatomy *will not* get her pregnant. This is why jacking off in a pool, or the ocean, or on a mattress etc. doesn't later wind up "mysteriously" impregnating people.

I just consulted the doctor at my local clinic on this subject and she told me that there are ALWAYS a few spermatozoids in the pre-ejectile fluids. This clearly shows that the above-mentionned study was either improperly conducted or downright forged. PLEASE, do NOT take any chances and protect yourselves, because an abortion is something that can leave emotional scars for the rest of one's life.

The first post is extremely misleading and potentially dangerous, because it bases itself on a study which is most deffinitely forged or poorly conducted. I spoke with three different doctors about this isssue and they all invariably told me that there are ALWAYS a few spermatozoids in pre-ejectile fluids. Since this post appears at the top of the list in the Google search for "sperm in precum", it is extremely important that it be accurate! People get often misled by the fact that the sperm count in such fluids is not very significant, but this does NOT entail that one cannot become pregnant. An abortion is a very serious thing and can leave emotional scars for the rest of one's life.

As a matter of fact, some people may not read the replies at the bottom of the page or may trust the above-mentionned study, thus exposing themselves to the serious risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

Thank you for considering this important matter.

Please all listen, I am A doctor who went through about 7-8 years in med school. Now when ever I get a child who comes in and asks about sex I always say to wear a condom no matter what! The safer the better. Then they always ask me about this precum stuff and here's my input on this-
There is a tiny amount of sperm in it!
This sperm though believe it or not is far to small of an amount for a girl to get pregnant. Oh yes, it's probable but very improbable at the same time.
Please even if your on the pill please please PLEASE wear a condom. I tell the kids who come to see me about these subjects to use a combination of three methods, the pill, the condom, and the wothdrawal method. Yes the withdrawal method. Now if they use the combination of all three it will work like a charm even If the boy shoots out some sperm the condom will catch it and if that breaks then the pill will hopefully stop it, but no sperm means no pregnancy. So best is to take it out no matter what.
Kids who are reading this, I was there please believe me. I lost my virginity at age 13. Please be safe.
Also one more note: to get pregnant it takes a group effort of sperm to fertilize an egg. A tiny amount as found in precum probably would not be big enough. Many most or all would die even before they got half way to the egg.
But even with that please be safe. U

I agree. There is no semen in "precum" unless from a previous ejaculation. Although some people cannot feel "precum" ejaculating, sometimes they can feel themselves ejaculating a little bit, but has not shot out. That isn't considered "precum". They had ejaculated, but by bits of semen at a time until they fully satisfy themselves, if you know what I mean. I am not sure if anyone would be able to comprehend my statement, but I have been researching about this topic and there are many debates about this particular topic. It still varies on others, but this is more likely and again, there is no semen in "precum" unless from a previous ejaculation. There could be or could not be semen in "precum" depending on the person.

The main concern I have with this study is the fact that only five subjects were used. To definitively say that pre-ejaculate never contains sperm based on a population of five seems a little bit hasty to me...