I had my gallbladder removed three weeks after giving birth to my daughter. They said it would feel so much better to have it out....ya right! I ended up with the worst pain you could ever imagine. I couldn't breathe or walk. They sent me home after 2 days in the hospital even though my urine was dark amber in color and I had not passed gas. They told me all my pain was gas. The same night I went home I ended up coming to the ER and they discovered I had a bile leak. They took me into surgery and put in a drain. I was shipped out to a bigger hospital the next day where they fixed the leak and found 3 stones that were suck in the common bile duct. They put in a stint that had to be removed a month later. This was turly a horrible expirence and what was supposed to be one simple surgery turned into 4! The worst part about it was missing all that time with my new baby girl :-(

I just had my gallbladder out on 3/12. I had been having pain in my back sporadically over the past 6 weeks, only in the middle of the night. In the early hours of 3/12 I not only had pain in my back but also under my ribs towards the right side. I went to the e.r. where they did an x-ray and an ultrasound. My gallbladder was infected and had a few tiny stones in it so they decided to remove it laproscopically, later that afternoon. I spent one night in the hospital and they sent me home the next day with a perscription for an antioboitic and percosets. No one told me what to expect or what was normal pain. I spent the next week attemtpting to recover. My pain was awful. I couldn't eat, sleep or drink. each night trying to sleep was long and disappointing. I had to be propped up in a 90 degree angle because any attempt at laying down was cause for extreme pain in my right side. My roommate is a nurse and kept telling me to move around. We thought it was the gas bubbles just moving around and causing pain. The pain in my shoulder never subsided and actually jumped from shoulder to shoulder but primarily was in my left shoulder. My follow up appointment was scheduled for 6 day after my surgery, but ended up getting cancelled by the doctor's office. I went the next day, a week post-op, and told the doctor about my concerns. My stomach felt hard and caused me discomfort in the form of pressure, I still wasn't eating, sleeping, or drinking more than 5oz of whatever I could force down a day. I asked him if he could prescribe something for sleep and he said the pain meds should be working. I told him I had finished them two days ago. He took my pulse and suddenly seemed concerned. He sent me for bloodwork. I was too exhauseted to get it that day and in too much pain so we went the next morning. My bloodwork came back with horrible numbers and I was sent for a STAT CAT scan. They found I had a bile leak. I had an emergency catheter put into my abdomen to drain the bile, which was horrifyingly painful despite the lydocain and dullauded that was given to me. They drained over 4000 cc's of bile from my abdomen--7lbs all together. First thing the next morning I had the ERCP done. I spent the next 10 days in the hospital being monitored. The first 6 days I had a 24/7 heart monitor attatched to me, I had blood drawn every morning and vitals taken just about every hour. The catheter was attatched to a bag to drain any more leaked bile. It took the whole 10 days for my leak to close. I still have minor shoulder pain which I've had off and on the whole time and was receiving medecine for while staying in the hospital. I was just released yesterday and will have my stent removed in the first week of may. I have another flollow-up appointment in 2 days where i'll have my staples removed. I still have a prescription of percosets, from the refill I was given the day before I was re-admitted, which I'm taking lightly for the shoulder pain.
If you're having pain that's hindering your ability to eat, drink, sleep or walk, make sure you ask your doctor about the possiblity of a bile leak. As soon as the bile was out of my system it was like a miracle cure. Once I recovered the next afternoon from the ansthesia with the ERCP I felt so much better. That poison sitting inside of you is literally just draining you of all strength. If left untreated the leak almost always leads to fatality. Be aware of your symptoms!

i had my gallbladder taken out on april 3rd 2009. i woke up from surgery in more pain than i started with. i ended up staying whole weekend in hospital for a same day procedure.....thhe whole time im ultimate pain i cud barely breathe......or talk......my urine was so brown i really thought i was peeing blood. they send me home on the notion that i had gas and had to get up and move around to get it out and i wud feel better.....i went home and for eleven days with out pain meds grew even more ill......the nurse finally told me to come in after i started crying on the phone......well thats where they discovered bile had been leaking in my this whole time.....i was dying..they pput stint in and sent me homenext day and said bile wud absorb......i looked like i was overdue pregnant......i lost over 20 pounds i am very tiny by this time so u can only imagine how sik i look.......so when i get home i knew something still wasnt right i still was not getting better.....i had to be rushed to er the next night......the stint didnt work!!!!!! i had to have another one put in.......so as of right now i beleive i am no longer leaking but i am still in a lot of pain....my tummy is still big and hard and i have no energy.....i wuud like to know if anyone can help me understand how long recovery is and if anyone can just email me and me be able to talk about my experience as well as theirs......just need some encouragement and to know im not the only one

Hello everyone...

i need big time help... i am do for gallbladder surgery to have it taken out
but i am very scare.. i have read so many scary stories i dont know what to do anymore... I am afraid of gaining more weight i am already overweight i dont need any more lbs. On the other hand i am afraid of having a leak or an infection.

please help.... i need someones advice..

What is the reason you are being advised to have GB removed? If it is inflamed it might be dangerous to leave it in. I will admit reading the horror stories on this site would not give one much confidence in having it removed! I will say that the people I know in my family and around town that have had theirs removed have not suffered the pain and anguish I have read about here. They all have varying amts of diarrhea but that is the only complaint I have heard.

I have not gained wgt since my surgery but it has been only 5 weeks. The people I know that had it have not become obese nor gained significant wgt. I hope this helps. Get as much info from your doctor as possible and if you would feel better about it, talk to another doctor just for peace of mind.

I had a few bouts, (over 2 yrs) where we thought I would need to go to the emergency room. Than the day came. I felt like I was having contractions every hour for 24 hours. We went to the emergency room. Soon after, I was vomiting a yellow substance by the gallons. I'm a very healthy person. A scan was done much like a synogram when i was pregnant. I was out of it by then, my husband told me that it was very plain, a large stone. They did surgery(never offering an alternative) I feel like I still have the gall stone , just without the vomiting. I just recently started following up and I still have staples (was never told of, would had never gone there) Never took antibiotics (weren't offered). When I went for my checkup, I asked when the blotting would go away, The doctor (loosely saying) told me that was me.) I just went in for a colonscopy.(not sure I spelt that right) And I have a mild bacteria issue. Well I wonder when that occurred? May all be aware. Should you choose to have your Gallbladder remove educate yourself first. It's not that simple.

I had eleven gallstones in the bile duct and had my gallgladder removed by THE KNIFE.
I had an emergency gallbladder surgery because I couldn't eat anything or even drink a drop of 7-up or water.
I drove myself to the ER vomiting out the car door all the way there...
When I reached the ER they put me on a gurney and I projectiled bile clear across the room..
After removing gallstones and gallbladder with a knife caused me no bile leakage problems or any other problems after.

I just wonder if going under a knife for this surgery is a better idea than lapriscopic (?)

My mom is going through all this right now after gall bladder surgury. I suggest if you continue to have pain go back to the doctor. The symptoms sound like there is a bile leak which happens to 20% of patients. This could be dangerous.

Hi, I had gallbladder removed 26th oct,on the 27th I startd vomiting could not keep anything down and the pain was awful,I was taken by ambulance to hospital on the night of 27th had xrays and told they could just see a pocket of wind and I was going through normal pre-op symtoms!!!!!! I was back at my GP on 28th given ani-sickness tablets and stronger pain killers.I continued to vomit pure bile and the pain just kept getting worse.By the Friday 30th I was re-admitted to hospital had ct scans and xrays,I was told that during my surgery they had caught my bowel in the port hole,I had to have emergancy surgery to fix it and had to have a drain to get rid of the bile building up.I was really really ill to the point I could have died!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a terrible experience or both me and my Family.

Dear All,

I have not and need not my gallbladder to be removed.. I am however one of unfortunate victims of this procedure as the love of my life and bearer of my children is on day 7 of her recovery in the hospital.. To respond to an earlier post the procedure used to determine if there are any bile leaks is called a HIDA test.. (Hepatobiliary Imaging). I still believe that we had no other option than to remove her gallbladder however I wish to convey to anyone who reads this EXPLORE EVERY OTHER OPTION FIRST...... I have no idea when my love will return and what after effects this will cause but I do know that pain is not normal.. Remember the doctors work for you... If they don't listen do what I did... Slam them against the wall and let them know they will be next to be laying on their backs if they don't listen....

Best wishes to you all,
Kevin

How aout 6 weeks post-op the laprascopic procedue and still not discharged from day one! Leaking bile, have a stent, put on morphine for pain, then enemas because so distended so can't breathe, so put on oxygen. Morphine for the pain, so I can't move, so more distension, more enemas, more morphine, plus infection, so IV antibiotics, then full body rash reaction to antibiotics, can't hold any food or liquid down, vomiting, etc. Otherwise, all is good, no?

ok first of all your doctors had to suck ..... i mean im 14 and just got my gallbladder out two days ago........ i felt wonderful ..... just sore ... not even that much pain to go to the hospital..... im eating greasy foods and holding them down ....i had a bowel movement and everything...

Gall bladder surgery made a mess of me. It was done laprosocopic 5 punctures including belly button. Swollen creepy stomach, painful to eat; can't eliminate for dAys until it becomes liquid. Stomach growling and cramping, hot to touch. Been back to surgeon he has no remedy but said I have surgical clips and maybe that is the problem see your gastro. Bad taste in mouth, dryness white tongue, loss of enamel on teeth. I think sepsis is settling in as it has been 8 months and they think I may have depression (who wouldn't ) Other doctors don't want to give further tests. Never had endoscopy when a symptom I was having was lack of taste and appetite . After surgery veins protruding thru out body, vascular doctor said weak vein valves and multiple spider veins including face and stomach. Loss of hair, dryness from head to toe , lack of muscle tone and strength. I force myself to eat than have bouts of pain. Heart doctor says increased fluid around heart. Dry throat, cracked ulcerated lips. Does anyone have some direction?

It sounds really bad, especially the pain. Get back to the emergency room and tell them to fix the problem. There are allot of complications that can happen after the surgery

That sounds awful, hope all turns out ok. I had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago and am now back in hospital to remove two stones they left behind which stuck in my liver duct causing jaundice. I'm nervous about going home, I do have some burning pain in the center of my chest. I think gall bladder removal can have more complications then people think