Hey guys, I have another question to ask. I heard a lot about bladder infection in dogs these days, I know a few dog owners who are struggling with it and they say that their dogs are in a lot of pain while urinating and that doesn’t sound good. I’m having enough trouble with my cat, I don’t know if I could handle my dog having a bladder infection. I don’t know the causes so I don’t really know what to do in order to prevent this infection from happening. Can you share with me all that you know about this infection? I’m particularly interested in learning what are the main causes of bladder infection- how does your dog get it?

Hello. It seems to me that this became big problem lately. Everywhere I can hear that people are talking about bladder infections. It is pretty much similar like in your cat. You were dealing it with your cat so you will be able to deal with this situation with your dog. I am sure. It can be very painful. Female dogs are usually ones who gets this infection. Most UTI’s are from ascending infections which means that bacteria from the outside is traveling up to the urinary tract of your dog. This bacteria seed the bladder with infection. Very simple to explain. I hope that you understand.

Good explanation Dog Whisperer.

My mother was trying to explain this to me as well but without success lol. I did some research about this and here is what I found out.

It all starts with symptoms. Your dog can have different symptoms than dog from your neighbor maybe.  Bacterial infections will result in the symptoms such as fever, painful urination, blood in the urine.

Causes are usually related with stress and diet but also they can include immunological deficiency or protozoan infections. Other causes are stones, tumors and injuries.

So as soon as you notice that something is going on with your dog, if you see those symptoms, you need to react.

Hey.

It is very important to know that this is treatable. But your dog can be in pain during this process.

In dogs, bladder infections are usually caused by bacteria. Usually with E. coli.

E. coli gathers around you pet ‘s urethral opening and moves into his urinary tract.

This usually happens when your pet’s natural defense and immune system is down and weak.

It all depends on your dog’s health conditions. Health conditions allow bacteria to develop in the urinary tract. You see, it is very simple. Water intake also has a big influence.

It is treatable and it is very common in dogs.

Hey guys,

I’m not really sure that you actually take any measures to prevent your dog from getting a bladder infection. You need to know the exact cause and you can never know. Bladder infection happens to be a symptom of other diseases too, so you would have to take steps first to prevent other diseases, and then take care of the things that solely cause this infection. It is often caused by bacteria, that is true, but again, there is nothing you can do about it. Just pay attention to your dog’s diet, keep him healthy and you are already half way there.

Hi guys,

If your dog isn’t in a lot of stress lately there is one cause less to worry about. Stress is one of the most common causes.

Secondly, there is a bacteria which is found literally everywhere so you can’t do anything to prevent your dog from getting it.

Just keep your dog’s water and food clean and you should be okay.

There are more other, more serious causes which are harder to treat: tumor can be the cause.

Bladder stones, which are really, really painful.

Whether the cause is serious or not, a visit to the vet is advised. He is probably going to find out the cause first and then tell you about the treatment.

Hey.

It is probably caused by bacteria. No reason for you to be worried so much.

You can treat it, but you also need to find a way to prevent it for the next time. Your dog is in a pain, trust me.

Like Mima told you it can be tumor, but I really hope that this is not the case.

But still the most common cause of this is bacteria that has traveled up the dog’s urethra to the bladder.

This infection can be caused by crystals or stones which also can obstruct urinary outflow. This makes the dog bladder infection more difficult to treat.

Actually, you can’t do this without your vet’s help.

Hey folks,

I’m not sure that you can do much about its prevention either. It kind of depends where do you live and how dirty it is there. I mean, outside, not in your house.

Bacteria is the most mentioned cause, and it can be treated pretty easy, with some antibiotics and some home remedies. No prevention there.

Cancer can be causing it, some skin diseases, or some already formed bladder stones. No prevention there, either. The best advice is to keep your and your dog’s hygiene in the best way you can.

Of course, take your dog to the vet regularly for testing, once a month would be good.