I had an abortion on Jan 12 of this year. My husband and I started having sex again a week later. We want to get pregnant again. When would I be able to take a pregnancy test to find out if I'm pregnant? I was told a test would be positive at least 6 weeks after the abortion.

A TEST can be pregnant 6 weeks after an abortion.

MY question to you is this..

WHY not let your body heal for 3 months?

Your uterine lining needs time to rebuild back-up, pregnancy so soon could have a higher chnace of miscarriage.

Most women are told that after an abortion/d&c for miscarriage, to wait 2-3 cycles first.

My question is... was the abortion something because there was a problem with the fetus or was it for other reasons?

That is actually a very personal question, and one that doesn't need to be answered in order to sstify the question.

IT does not matter WHY.

It may not to you, however to a lot of women on the boards, they would either want to be supportive of the situation (so many women I know whom have had to have 'abortions' because there was a problem with the fetus and really want to be parents)... or if it was a personal choice to have an abortion then get pregnant immediate afterwards give them a 'uh... hello....wth you just destroyed a pregnancy'... and if it is posted on a public board these are valid questions, it's pretty simple.

It is okay for a woman to decide a month later that she chnages her mind and wants a baby..

There should not be an "Umm hello about it"...

It is her body and her choice.

Thank you Carifairy for being so kind to only assume the negative and totally skipping over everything I stated before the "um hello". It is a concern that suddenly someone wants a baby after having an abortion, if it was their choice. More so it is important for that person to have a support network if it was medically necessary (which happens often to the unfortunate dismay of us new parents.)

Im glad you asked that, it should make every difference!!

This couple dose not seem emotionally/mentally stable. Its not something you can toss out one day and simply go retrieve the next!!

Yes, it should matter WHY.

You claim to be pro choice and all ive seen from you is pro-ho.

Pro choice implies the willingness to be both supportive and informative, you neglect to mention most times that there ARE other options and that ppl need to be responsible for their actions.

Some ppl are not even sure theres any other way aside from the one in which theyve chosen or are thinking about and instead of helping you jump right to applauding, condoning and enabling them to make poor or uniformed decisions.

It is disturbing that a woman would want to get pregnant directly after an abortion, and I do answer many private PM's and emails from women on these boards..

Many women do not want to air everything out...

After I have given all the information via PM or email, I cannot force anyone to take my advice, I can only educate.

I'm assuming the original poster was urged by her doctor to have a d&c due to a problem with her pregnancy...most of you probably know a miscarriage can even be termed "Spontaneous Abortion"...your body aborts the unhealthy fetus. There seem to be differing opinions on whether or not it's a good idea to get pregnant immediately after a m/c. I've not really seen any statistics on what percent of women m/c when they get pregnant after a previous miscarriage (without waiting for at least 1 full "cycle"). It would seem to make sense to let the uterus heal...but I have heard "you're most fertile after a m/c or labor"...can't really find any "founded" information to support that either.

It is not that you are MORE fertile, it is that you never know when you may ovulate after the 'abortion', so it is best to be careful at all times.

it does matter why. you do have the choice to keep a baby or get rid of it. but don't turn around less than a month later and decide you want another one when you were just blessed with one and got rid of it.

if it was for medical reasons, or being a rape victim, try to have another one.
but if it was because you two couldn't handle it at the time i doubt a month later things will be better for you to handle another one. don't do it out of guilt or anything, do it because you want a family and is ready to take on all the responsibilities of being a mother

I agree.. But I do not want to judge anyone.. I gave as much advice as I could %-)

The op was asking for advice on conception not morality. Save it for the picket lines. It is sad that there are people trolling around on these sites waiting to bash someone for not respecting human life and feeling justified to call people hos. If you are that emotionally tied to the issue refrain from answering objective questions it does not help those truly seeking advice.