I have been suffering from a 2nd hip replacement for 3 years and I saw numerous doctors without results. I will try your solution since you describe my symptoms, exactly. Thank you for giving me hope.

Im 28 and had my hip replaced 8 days ago. The operated leg was lengthened over an inch and it is difficult to walk without a sever limp. Otherwise I've been doing ok with moderate pain and today took about 100 steps without any aids. After a 30minute car ride I stepped out and felt severe pain in the hip area. I couldnt take more than a few steps with my walker and blacked out from the pain. Now I think I have tweaked it and the pain is on a whole other level, something i absolutely cannot deal and dont imagine there being another human on earth that could.
What could be the deal? A pinched nerve? Has the socket from the pelvis shifted? Lying down or holding the leg still and its like normal but move anything and it hurts so bad there is no appropriate response outside screaming in agony. I am scared as i havent seen anyone else on any website experience something like this. Thank you for any help and best of luck to the other folks suffering from joint replacements. I will upade this if it was indeed tweaked somehow and is just a temporary thing.

Coming from the engineering side rather than the medical side I can propose a few different causes than your doctor can. Hip replacement design is far from perfect. I think a lot of mid to upper thigh pain may be caused from the difference in elasticity between your implant and your bone. Bones are actually somewhat flexible while many implant designs are probably inflexible. I don't actually know alot about the material being used in total hip replacement but if this is the case it will definitely cause a lot of wierd bone stress in your thigh. Another issue is that your body will have a strong immune response to your implant. This can destroy the coatings on the implants and make the tissue around your implant very unhappy. I've been told it may even cause deterioration of the tissue surounding the implants which would also cause pain. Unfortunately the pain from those things can't really be relieved. Your leg will also change length after implant. I think the design of implants just needs to be improved.

I HAD A TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT THREE MONTHS AGO. I AM HAVE PAIN IN MY THIGH THAT GOES DOWN TO MY KNEE.  I HAVE HAD XRAYS, MRI'S, CT SCANS, PT AND NOW TRYING ACUPUNTURE. THE TEST ARE ALL NORMAL AND THE PAIN IS STILL THERE. MY DOCTOR TELLS ME THEIR IS NOTHING WRONG. THIS IS KEEPING FROM DOING MANY THINGS AND IS VERY DEPRESSING. 

Have you ever been tested for Lyme Disease? Your symptoms mirror what I have and after many years of misdiagnosis (similar to yours) I was positive in a Western Blot blood test for Lyme and co-infections (parasites) so it is worth the test!!

Good luck

I am 36 and am 6 months out from my left THR. I have been in 3 severe car accidents, the last one being in the line of duty. With NO HEALTH INSURANCE, my options for testing are slim! I had some relief, but my pain levels are increasing. On top of my hip, I have extreme lower back problems. i have had 20 surgeries in all. I am a very active person (Triathlons and CrossFit), but I have yet to be able to get back in the gym because just getting up and doingnormal everyday activites is a workout for me. My doctors are all stumped. Prior to losing my health insurance, I have had everyting done to me known to man. To the point where my body has become completely IMMUNE to all medications. I did my THR surgey without any pain meds!! I am a single mom and have no choice but to work to pay the bills, but I have ABSOLUTELY NO QUALITY OF LIFE!!! I have been denied disability due to taking meds and not seeing a dr regularly for pain management. (ummm...whats the point in meds...and I am broke to be a self pay patient!). TALK ABOUT SEVERE DEPRESSION!!!  

I've had my right hip replaced a little over a year ago. Did great for a short time. Then I started having pain in my groin area that would set off pain in hip all the way down my leg making is stiff that I couldn't move and had to sit down. And where the scar is really ugly. I have lots of sscaar tissue and at the center its is ozzing a little. My legs are getting weaker,can't walk without a cane and unable to walk long. I,m unable to lift my feet into or out of our car. I've have most of my back fused. No one seems to be able to help. But I did find something on the pain in the groin after back surgery. Go to bone and joint . org U K Will be seeing my Ortho, dr. on thursday. Hope he'll find something out to at least help. Since pain meds don't. Wish you all the best.at finding some help.

I totally understand, I too had hip replacement about 4 months ago. I was doing great until about a month ago, and something went horribly wrong. I went from walking on my own with little to no pain,to being back on crutches. X-rays looked great! I don't understand. It's like I'm going backwards! Maybe we are both suffering from muscle damage. Somehow maybe I re-injured my hip working out in gym. The pain worsened today and was radiating down my whole left leg. I could barely walk.

I had a Total hip replacement Nov 11 and for the first three months or so it was fantastic, but then I noticed as I walked more and more the pain in the groin and front thigh area started to increase especially when weight bearing on the leg.  It gets so bad now I can only walk for about 10 mins before having to either stop and rest or take pigeon size steps.  I have had loads of tests done, ct scans xrays etc.. and get the results soon but even the consultant said I shouldnt be experiencing pain of this sort now.  I wait with bated breath as to what the problem is but will post an update if I get one......

Are you walking on pavement? That can cause stress on hip. Also have you been sick or had any type of bacterial infection, those type of infections can go right to new hip and a artifical hip can't fight infection.
Also have your doctor take X-Ray. Tell him to examine closely. There might be something he missed.

I had hip replacement 7 weeks ago and have walked a mile a day from the 5th week. I have pain under my buttocks and my operated leg keeps going dead and is still very swollen.

I had a total hip replacement 8 mos ago. I had no pain in the in the hip area, just an unusual gait. But 3 wks ago I began having pain in the mid thigh an now progressed to the total hip area when I put weight on it. I see the surgeon tomorrow but has anyone had this experience. It is scaring me

I am 58 and had my hip replaced 6 years ago.  At first I had no pain and resumed normal activities.  Now I have such severe pain I cannot do my exercises or any sports, hiking, etc. that I used to enjoy so much.  I limp on occasion when pain is bad. It is so depressing as I have been to 2 doctors who say my x-rays look perfect and that I must have thigh inflamation.  They really do not know why I have this pain.  It has been so severe I could not sleep.  If anyone finds an answer, please let me know. 

I had hip replacent surgery 7 years ago no problem knee repleacement 21/2 years ago no problem had left hip replaement 7 months ago has cysts I am now in pain first grioin then thigh now hip what can it be?

I had a hip replacment about 4 months ago and experienced this. My Dr. said it's a load bearing issue where the stem implant meets the bone on the inside of the femur. He said it would come and go for about 6 months to a year as the bone continues to heal and thicken around the stem. Even the healing can hurt he said. I take Motrin when it gets really bad and stay off it for a bit....but if my Dr. is right it should go away once the bone thickens at the meeting point.