I had that problem for many (15-20) years until I finally switched back to Prilosec for acid reflux. My doctor originally put me on Prilosec but when I went to the VA for my prescriptions they substituted something else because they didn't buy Prilosec.

About 8 years ago I had to go home from work because I hurt so bad. My doc sent me to the hospital to be diagnosed. They determined it wasn't my heart but it WAS acid damage to my esophagus. The ER doc prescribed Prilosec and in a day the pain was gone. About a week later I swallowed something that normally would have felt like it was stuck part way down and caused severe pain in waves as the muscles contracted trying to force it down. To my surprise ---- NO PAIN!!!!! Later I found I was able to swallow many large things that I had been avoiding for years because of the pain. Some pills that I had to cut in half to get them down now go down with ease. In fact, I just toss in the whole handfull and swallow them all at once now.

The Prilosec I used to have a prescription to get is now available over the counter, (and the VA has it now too) so why not just get some and give it a try? Can't hurt and it MAY be all you need.

Years before that I asked my doctor about that Schatzki's Ring because my sister had the operation years earlier. He just said I didn't have that but he offered no explaination about why it hurt so much to swallow --- sometimes. Damn doctors don't want to tell you anything. Like you're asking them to actually think, or something.

it doesnt happen when i eat big things it comes and goes randomly whether its small or big

The same thing has been happening to me, just yesterday. Im 13, and a female ): I am not bullimic, Like even if i swallow my spit, i have this feeling on my chest ( inbetween my boobs ) and it feels like something is kind of trying to get down, kind of like if your eating something hugeee and you can feel it going down. I know, i should probably go to the doctor, but my asian parents -___- are not listening to me. They don't think a little girl can have problems in her esophagus. :-P but yea, after i go to the doctor, maybe ill report something :-)

The person who had this pain due to doxycycline....did it go away after two weeks? I've had it for about four days now and it is excruciating. I just want to know that I have relief to look forward to. Did you eat or drink anything that soothed it? Eating is so painful!

I am 41 and woke up with this problem Monday morning. It is very painful and I cannot bear to eat or even drink water. It even hurts a bit when I take a deep breath. If I still feel this way tomorrow, I am going to my PCP and asking to see a specialist.

Guys, I think what you're experiencing is called an "Esophageal Spasm." Google it. It feels like the food is stuck a few moments after swallowing. Last week this happened to me (as it has many times before) because I ate some fish way too fast. This time, however, I the pain was so intense it literally caused me to pass out and I had to go to the ER. I stayed overnight in the hospital for precaution, but have not had a problem since.

I'm interested to know what to do about this. I'm a Christian and have seen God do many miracles so I'm also believing God to just heal me completely! In the meantime, I thought I'd throw this info your way.

I am a twenty-one-year-old male with the same problem. It started when I was about thirteen. My father and half-sister (we share the same father) have the same condition which leads me to believe that it's genetic. My dad went to the emergency room the first time it happened. Anyway, it turns out that it's a constriction of the esophagus and it seems that certain foods trigger it.

When this happens, don't panic. Also, avoid liquids, it usually makes it worse. Wait it out and see if it doesn't release. Most of the time when it happens to me (like earlier today) I just sit still, breathe normally, and try my best to be calm. This usually causes the muscles around my esophagus to relax. If worse comes to worse and it doesn't seem to be loosening up, go to the restroom and start coughing. It should come lose and you'll spit it up (it will feel like vomiting, but all you're really upchucking is the stuff in your esophagus, not your stomach.)

I had the same problem a year ago. As i ate something and it went down my throat, it felt like i had the food stuck in like a pipe/tube. Felt as if I ate a chip and it didnt go down the right way. This went on for about a week. I seen 2 doctors and both told me it was my esophagus having spasims. They gave me pain pills to help, like viocdine, which didnt help at all! I went back and they gave me a drink to drink to numb the area (my esophagus) and it did the trick for that day. My doctor told me if it didnt get better I would have to have a all these test done, and worse case it could tunr into surgery if it doesnt go away. My dr. had herd of this before. Its where your esophagus has like a spasm. Its the worst feeling i have ever had, and its rare and sucks because the thought of food or water down ur throat sucks. I would have to take very small sips of water so it didnt hurt. Thank god it went away on its own after about a week. It has not returned (thank the lord) but my dr. said it could return anytime and at that time they would look into further treatments. Hope this helps!

Ive had the same problem. It all started after taking doxycycline and going to sleep.

i have the same problem and im a 13 year old girl and i dont want my mom to have to take me to the doctor but it jurts so bad and i havent felt a burning in my throat but i have felt pain whenver i eat at the bottom of m esophegus near the mid of my chest help plz!!

i have the exact same thing and i had the nissan wrap done,thats the sugery for acid reflux and hiadel hernia and that was a year and a half ago and i still have all kinds of problems,plus i had the balloon thing done twice in a year and now i have the food thing sticking in my esophagus again its a bunch of you know what,i cant hardly eat anything at all,i get really gassy to

I had similar problems. You guys should see a gastroenterologist and ask about eosinophilic esophatigits. That's what I was diagnosed with.

i am 16 year old lad and i went the gym the other day and when i cam back when i was eating i felt a pain when i swallowed it hurting my throat and i can feel it slide down and i get a pain in my back and this happens when i drink eat swallow and burp to but i dont think its a musclar injury as my chest doesnt hurt but my insides hurt and i dont have a clue what it is and its only been going on for 2 days should i see a doctor ?

well im having this too but it im a 15 yers old and  statred when i ate a noodle soup really fast ever since then it hurts just like all of you

When you beat your chest when you swallow it dosnt hurt as bad. Helped Me...But it started hurting after I ate a sandwhich. My Chest started hurting BAD. And It Still does. HELP?!.