HI, I JUST SAW YOU POST AS I WAS BROWSING THE INTERNET. I AM AN OLD LADY 60 YRS OF AGE AND I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. WHEN I EAT FOOD IT MUST BE ALL PUREED OTHER WISE IT WONT GO DOWN. I WENT TO A DOCTOR ABOUT THIS AND HE TOLD ME THE TUBE IN MY THROAT IS NARROW BUT I FEEL LIKE THE PROBLEM IS IN MY CHEST BECAUSE THATS WHERE I FEEL MY PAIN. SOMETIMES FOOD GETS STUCK THERE FOR HOURS AND I HAVE TO WAIT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS BEFORE I DRINK WATER AND THEN IF IM LUCKY THE FOOD GOES DOWN. DRINKING HOT WATER CAN HELP. THERE IS AN OPERATION DOCTORS CAN DO TO MAKE THE TUBE IN YOUR THROAT/CHEST LARGER. I LL PROBABLY HAVE TO HAVE THIS DONE IN THE NEAR FUTURE. A NARROW TUBE IN THE THROAT/CHEST CAN BE CAUSED FROM REFLUX. IVE HAD REFLUX FOR MANY YEARS. THERE IS MEDICATION WHICH CAN HELP YOU TO SWALLOW BUT I GAVE IT UP BECAUSE IT CAUSED ME SEVERE CONSTIPATION. YOU MIGHT NEED TO TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT YOUR PROBLEM. HOPE I HAVE BEEN OF SOME HELP. IVE HEARD DRINKING COKE CAN WASH DOWN FOOD STUCK IN THE THROAT BUT I HAVENT TRIED THIS YET. ANYTHING WITH CAFFEIN DOESNT AGREE WITH ME. ASK YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU CAN HAVE A GASTROSCOPHY? THEY PUT YOU TO SLEEP FOR THIS AND THEY PUT A CAMERA DOWN YOUR THROAT.

For a year now I have had pain when I swallow food. Usually I just chase it with water and I am fine. However, this past weekend, neither the food nor water went down. When it did, it was extremely painful. The next day, I ate soft food but my stool was black. However, the pain was not nearly as severe as the night before. At 5 am, I vomited blood and passed out. 4 days later I am back at home and out of ICU. I had a 4-6 inch tear in my esophagus from chicken. Not a bone. Just chicken. Doctor says I almost left a wife and 3 young kids without a dad at 37 years old. Please be smart and get checked out. And if you feel severe pain, do not wait around. A 28 year old in my same city died last week from a smaller injury than mine.  

Hi! I am a teenager but i am a boy.

GERD is irritated by anti-bacterial meds:

My mother is a nurse. I told her that 3 times already, that specifically after taking achne medicine (which is an anti-bacterial med) my esaphogus felt this same hurt you all feel. My mother told me because it is anti-bacterial it is VERY acidic and likes to eat and kill bacteria, even good bacteria in our bodies, which is why whenever we take anti-bacterial's the doctor tells us to eat lots of food.

I believe the reason why it's teenagers is because teenagers have lots of achne and want their achne removed faster than face washing (because we are all lazy) by using anti bacterial medicine capsules instead. For people with GERD, the anti-bacterial med capsule is somehow already deteriorated before even reaching the stomache possibly because it is stuck in the esaphogus (wether by not swallowing with lots or water, or simply just because).

The reason why it is mostly GIRL teenagers is because ALL teenagers HATE achne HOWEVER, girls, will stop at nothing to remove it from their young good looks. Unfortunately most girls do not eat enough to stop the acid from hurting them, (im really not sure why it affects the esaphogus, maybe the saliva opens up the capsule by the time it reaches the tummy), which may also contribute to the fact that their are more girls with this problem. 

But Im not a girl, i just have really bad GERD problems.

Your all welcome. 

im 13 and having trouble swallowing , when i swallow i feel pain while the food is going down , i dont know whats going on

When I eat my food goes down and it hurts to and I havae really bad acid reflects I'm gonna get it checked out but hope I feel better soon

I had the Nissan fundoplication about 12 years ago and going through a lot of pain again every time I eat. Seeing my surgeon next week and hoping he will have answers for me.

I m a medical student. I just read ur post n wt i think is dt u might b havin a condition called, 'achalasia cardia' , wherein d lower esophagus fail to dilate n watever u eat keeps on accumulating above d contracted partn exerts pressure on esophageal wall which distends it n might cause pain.it usualy has a long history...may be from be childhood.can be coz of congenital absence of 1 type of nerve fibres

I got the same problem, and i've had it for about 1 week too. Idk what to do ? shall i go to a doctor or wait a little more to see if it goes away?

I have the same condition and have had this for about 4 years.It also keep you with a bad breath odor which makes it almost imposible to talk with anyone.I've been in the hospital for tests where they put you to sleep and put this long tube down your throat,this tube has a scope & a laser on the front of it so that if they see anything they can cut it out of you.But this thing whatever it is moves and hides from being detected,ironic as that may sounds.It is some kind of a congested knot of some kind that causes a blockage when you swallow food or liquid.It is not always there all the time but when it choses to be it is a very painful experience,and the bad breath is always there.Even when there is no food in my stomach I can always smell that bad smell coming from whatever this thing is.I feel bad for you because you are only 16 and I am 65. Whatever this thing is hangs around between the middle of the asophahus and possibly the beginning of the lings.It's in those tubes somewhere which moves up no further then the mid chest because sometimes when it occurs I have to pound that spot with my fist so that the food can go down into my stomach.My doctor is just as baffolded in not being able to catch this culprit,he is giving me dexilant which hasn't taken this thing away,and he is also giving me amoxicillin/clavul which has not produced any meaningful results.I'm now looking into home remeadies to solve this nightmare.This thing seems to be a ball of some kind of conjestion that carries a bad smell always.Even when you brush,and use mouthwash it will not take away that horrible smell and taste it leaves.My next move is to try a chest x-ray because it might pick it up.This thing seems to have it's own timing but uit ususally happens when you are eating a meal.I also had a cap scan which was negative.Hopefully if one of us finds what is causing this condition it will help both of us and possibly others suffering from the same condition

Relas this is called LPR trust me I know I have LPR GERD and EE to top that 3 olcers in my stomach I'm only 13. LPR makes it feel like something is stuck in your throat or chest and can be fixed I would suggest seeing a gostraologist he will know what to do, I take Prilosec two times a day 20 mg, but don't go off my word this could be serious or minor, see a doctor.

I am 12 I had the same problem for as long as I remember, I am now being treated at the children's hospital of Philadelphia.tell your parents to get it checked there.
Also I was falsely said to have a Yeast infection, well I didn't. Go to CHOP and you'll be fine.

I had this went to the doctors twice and was told acid reflux. I wasn't sure so asked for a endoscopy. I have just finished chemo for oesophagus cancer, start radiotherapy in january

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease

More commonly known as GERD, gastroesophageal reflux disease is a digestive disease that causes chronic heartburn. Occasional discomfort or a burning sensation is common after eating greasy foods or foods that are high in spices or after overeating. If you notice that you develop heartburn after every meal, you may have GERD. If you experience heartburn more than twice in one week, your doctor may run tests to diagnose your condition. GERD is commonly treated by making lifestyle changes to your diet, increasing liquid intake, and avoiding spicy and acid foods.

i had this long ago

its seems the tube or pipe that goes to your stomach is too small

this was felt when i was dieting alot

better to eat more and exercise to burn off calories

i noticed i would have to eat tiny bites to avoid this, and could now swallow a normal mouthful without feeling that

I've notice the same thing happening to me after I took that too!! I hate the feeling and wish it would go away.