I am in first trimester of pregnancy and I would like to color my hair. My mother told me that before I decide on a trip to the salon, I should talk to my obstetrician. She says to me he needs to know about any color treatment I want to do. I do not know if there were any conclusive studies on the effects of hair color chemicals on a developing fetus. Anyway, I think it is better to play it safe, so I need to know for sure.

Most doctors and colorists recommend not doing any chemical processes at least during the first three months of pregnancy. That is for both safety reasons and your potential sensitivity to these chemical fumes. In addition, you should know that your hair might change during the pregnancy. Some people get more gray hair and others find that their hair's texture changes dramatically. As you see, maybe it is better to wait until the first trimester pass. Then you will have a better idea what you are dealing with and what do you want. All the experts agree that any color process should avoid touching the skin and scalp. This helps preventing absorption of chemicals into your bloodstream, which may affect your baby. I could suggest you one ultimate no-commitment option. That is hair mascara wand or a hair pencil, where results only last until your next shampoo, and they are nontoxic.