Hey,

I’m gonna be getting married in the spring and of course I want to look my absolute best. BUT… I’ve been cursed with stubbly, short eyelashes — my lashes are pretty much the exact opposite of Bambi eyelashes. I don’t tend to use a lot of makeup except for special occasions, mostly some lip gloss and perhaps some blush when I feel like it. Of course, when you apply a full head of makeup including eye shadow, those eyelashes are really brought out and the fact that they are so short and also slant down a bit stands out more than ever. I admit to feeling pretty self-conscious about this.

Now, I’ve actually had fake eyelashes applied at the nail salon where I get my eyebrows shaped before, and they really hurt and didn’t look all that good. The falsies came off by themselves and glue was still stick to my real lashes. That must have been more than 10 years ago mind you, so perhaps something has changed now and I should consider fake eyelashes just for my wedding? Still, I’d REALLY appreciate tips about what I can do to make my eyelashes look good without fake lashes. Could you recommend a mascara that really lengthens the eyelashes and perhaps curls them upwards as well?

TIA!!!

MAC is expensive, and out of my price range when it comes to everyday use. MAC products are absolutely fantastic for special occasions though, in general, so I’m going ahead and advising you to head over there for a makeup consultation for your wedding day. I’m Asian with short eye lashes that point downwards and MAC Fibre Rich Lash works for me.

In general, you’re going to want to look for a mascara with a thinner brush. It’s easy to be trapped into thinking that more product on your lashes will make your lashes look more luscious, but as you’ve probably found out already, that just isn’t true. You want your mascara to lengthen those lashes, not to thicken them, which only accentuates the lack of length.

Good luck!

Oh, and just to add, there's only such a thing as mascara bases. They keep your mascara in place (like a primer would do for your foundation) and ensure you'll look good all day.

Blush. That's *also*, not only of course. Anyway, check it out.

Hi!

Have you actually looked into eyelash extensions, such as Xtreme Lashes? Note that these are not (I repeat, are not) the same as false eyelashes, which you mentioned trying. With eyelash extensions, each and every false lash is individually applied to an existing lash by a makeup professional. Rather than lasting a few days to a week, you can enjoy eyelash extensions for about a month. The good thing is that there are so many different options, so you can go for a natural look or a WOW look, depending on what you prefer. The only drawback is that it takes a few hours to apply them. Other than that, you'll be amazed with the result. My only tip is to try them out well in advance so you know what to expect from your eyelash extensions. I've heard some women say they're a bit uncomfortable, but I don't personally have any beef with them.

They're real by Benefit is something that I swear by. I get so many compliments when I wear it and people don't believe that I'm wearing mascara, it definitely makes your lashes twice as long and it rarely clumps. It's definitely a bit more pricey ($23) so if you're hesitant about it you can go to your local sephora and get the travel sized one instead which is about ten bucks. If you're looking for something that lasts a little longer you can try getting eyelash extentions which is different from false eyelashes because unlike false eyelashes they're applied individually and last about 2 weeks to a month. I would definitely recommend going on yelp first and do some research before going to a salon though!  Also a little tip, after you get out of the shower apply some vaseline to your eyelashes it helps with thicker and longer lashes!

Celebrity

So, I just replied to someone else with a similar question. I'll say it again here: you can use oils (coconut or blackseed oil for instance) to try to lengthen your lashes naturally. You can also try brushing your lashes every day, with a special lash brush. Obviously, apply the oils at night if you don't want to look weird. And also, try those hair, nail and skin vitamins you can get at the pharmacy. They may not have the desired effect on your eye lashes, but then again they may work. Even if they don't, they'll make your hair shiny and your nails strong. Also, you'll get a glowing skin. If you start doing these things now, you will definitely see results when your wedding rolls around.

Good mascaras for short lashes (not in any particular order, and NOT all cheap!):

• Chanel's Inimitable Intense Mascara (pro: doesn't clump.)
  • Maybelline's The Colossal Volum' Express (pro: cheaper and pretty good.)
  • Benefit's They're Real!, which I saw someone else also recommended.

What I'd do is to get all of these if you can, and to test them out, so you'll know which mascara makes your lashes look most luscious for your wedding. It's not just the mascara that matters, it's also how you use it. Remember to use an eyelash curler before you apply the mascara, and you'll see a difference. For one, your lashes won't point downwards, I can pretty much guarantee that. You can also use a mascara base, similar to a primer for your skin, to give your mascara that staying power.

Hey everyone!!!

Thank you so much for brainstorming with me. I have a feeling this will really help, and not just for my wedding either! I'm going to be shopping this weekend and I'll ask if I can try out a bunch of different mascaras at Sephora, bringing a list of the ones you all suggested.

OK now, I guess I'm actually quite interested in learning a little more about the eyelash extensions someone here mentioned. Got any more info? How do they feel, for instance? Are they a hassle to maintain, do they hurt you? If it's something that looks and feels like my natural lashes (but than BETTER, LOL), I'm definitely listening.

Thanks again!

So, I got Xtreme Lashes and I'd like to tell you guys ALL about them if you like! So, started off with short and stumpy lashes, basically. Nothing horrendous but just wasn't happy with them and heard about Xtreme lashes, so... here we are. I got the individuals. They're done one by one. Not everyone does it like that though, some do four or five at the time. I ended up with about 60 lashes each eye. Lots of celebrities, all the ones you think have fabulous natural lashes, probably all have Xtreme Lashes. So if you want to look like that, yeah, it can be yours! So, they look great, from the front and the side. And I'm really pleased with the results. They look very natural. Got shorter ones towards the insides of the eyes and longer ones at the ends. If you want to look the best you can, after getting them, I'd say just GO FOR IT.

Hi

My lashes are extremely short as well. Of course I've tried numerous mascaras and I tend to look for lengthening more than anything else, but I hate mascaras that clump and just make you look cheap too. Right now, my absolute favorite mascara is Maybelline Falsies. I like the Black Drama color but they offer a few different ones. The best thing about this mascara is that it does not clump and really does add length to your lashes. It lasts all day. So that's one I can recommend wholeheartedly.

Bye!

I'm a self admitted mascara junkie, that's to say I think I've tried almost every single one out on the market. Not joking.

If you're going for the lower end brands then a mascara primer is simply a must. That is the first thing I'll say about this.

Imju/Deja Vu's Fiberwig is pretty good. Also try the Doll Eye Mascara by NYX. Estee Lauder's Projectionist is another one I like. And double extended by Loreal.

I say start with those and see which one you like best. You have a good few months to try out, and what better excuse could you ever have for buying lots and lots of makeup?