They may have a great personality at times, but it will take years off your life. 

Let me tell u from personal experience with 2 bipolar girls, that u should just part ways. I know this may seem inconsiderate and rude to anyone suffering from this dreaded disorder, but I'm looking out for you. You will lose a big part of yourself catering to her every need and desire and you will inevitably be hurt on countless occasions. Sure, they never mean to hurt others, but it will happen and doesn't make it any less painful. When you truly respect yourself and are confident you will choose women that compliment you and you won't have to constantly question their love for you. Also, bipolar girls will only learn from natural consequences including those they care about. You cannot enable them to continue to hurt you. In the long run, you are helping both you and her if you leave now. Good luck!

Wow! I am so glad I stumbled upon this site. I have been dating a bipolar woman for 10 months now. It has been an absolute fckn mess of a rollercoaster. She has cheated on me so many times it is not funny. I cheated on her to get even, and boy did that start wickedness like I have never seen. I broke up with her a couple of days ago, and my life is finally starting to get better. I thought I loved her, but I think I was just being manipulated the whole time. Run Forest Run!!! Somebody told me that 7 months ago, and I ignored them... best advice I ever ignored... I just hope I can trust someone again :(

You won't be able to take this when you are old. It is affecting your work and your happiness. There is a breaking point for everyone. I am guessing that you come from a family where there is a lot of chaos and possibly addiction or alcoholism. I have bipolar and every man who loved me was from a messed up family. These are patterns. We are attracted to people who wil give us emotional highs and lows, but is that love or an addiction to the highs and lows? I am married now for two years to a great man but he never wants to engage in conversations with me. He is always busy and he rarely asks me to go out. I feel lonely and when I go a little nuts, which is quite often, i'm pretty cruel and go into nasty 8 hour screaming fits. I have never cheated on any bf, even when psychotic because I always had a strong distaste for cheating. The thing is that my husband treats me like a patient and not like a woman. It makes me feel unattractive and that is why I am considering leaving him because I can't get aroused with him anymore. I lost interest in dressing up, putting on makeup, or trying to look good period. I let myself go. I am not in love with him but I married him because I was manic at the time. I am getting an anullment now and a divorce.

I could not agree more with this statement after having an identical experience with a so called bipolar woman myself....frickin cheating sket!!!!.....she had more ex boyfriends chasing her all the time than iv'e had hot dinners lmao

Do you all still date and did you ever figure out if she was REALLY telling the truth or not?

A very good question but I think its also important to remember that unfortunately this is a symptom of the illness.In a hypomanic state she may not be talking to you at all but this other shitface called HYPOMANIA could be talking to us.I figure I been there too.Dont blame her for that though.Blame her for not taking responsibility for geting well.

Hey Liz -- I am the "guest" who was dating the bipolar woman for 10 months. You are dead-on about my past -- my father was an alcoholic and my mother suffered from depression. I definitely was addicted to the emotional highs associated with this woman, but I finally couldn't take the emotional lows, as well as the cheating and lieing. I am not sure if I loved her or I was addicted to her emotional highs. I have my first post-breakup date set for a week from now, I am just hoping that I am recovered enough to have a successful date... how long did your pre-marriage relationships typically last Liz?

I'd be less concerned about her male friend than I would be about the fact that she is not taking her meds. Side effects are no excuse. There are plenty of different meds out there, like Lamictal and others that have minimal side effects and good results in treating bipolar. If she's not going to take care of herself then there is no future for your relationship -- it will be a roller coaster of ups and downs and you will not be able to trust her. Bipolar individuals can be very exciting, creative, intelligent and seductive --- but they can also be self-destructive and very difficult to live with if they are not getting treatment. The best treatment is a combination of therapy, meds and lifestyle changes. Don't be an enabler, she will manipulate you and break your heart. Not that it's intentional, but it's part of the illness. Bipolar individuals tend to engage in risky behavior and often don't consider the consequences of their actions or the effects their actions have on other people. If she really cares about you, she will seek treatment.

I think sometimes relationships can be difficult full stop. Bipolor or no bi-polor. I am a bi- polor woman, but have kept out of relationships for a while, as I can't always cope with the pain of breaking up or being used or lied to. And I do not want someone in my life that is controlling. Also, I went through a stage where I was really only attracting sexual predatory type men and stalkers. I think because my self esteem was quite low and I lacked confidence. That stage of my life wasn't really great for my mental health at all. I would love to have a relationship that works. I do not believe all people are the same about their sexuality and it is a shame to put all bipolor people in that box of being promiscuous. I live my life more like a nun and don't often have flings. But maybe, I've got some catching up to do in my search for Mr. Right :) hurray, bring on the good times :)

good luck with developing a healthy relationship, or even better some healthy relationships. I am a bi-polor woman and I have had talking therapies to look at some of the things that have caused my emotional extremes. It takes time to change things in life, for anybody. the 8 hour screaming fits sound terrible. Very painful. I tend to just feel the pain and keep myself to myself, but it has been so nice to develop some healthy friendships in my life, that can give the right support and sometimes it doesn't have to be much to help diffuse a situation and to help from everything going out of control. And those self- destructive thoughts that can be so painful. And the supportive relationships don't all have to be one way. i.e. it's not all about me. As I am supportive to my friends also. Your divorce sounds like a good thing he sounds like he could be quite a controlling partner keeping himself 'safe' and closed off while you go through all the pain. (I think therapy can also be useful for some people)

I am also bipolar. It's hard at times for both parties involved when you're in a relationship. I am doing everything in my power to try and control the highs and lows. I have an extremely healthy diet, no processed foods, regular exercise, medication, psychologist, psychiatrist, cognitive behavior therapy. So for those that aren't doing anything to become well it's no better than a mentally well person who eats a bad diet- you're inviting disease into your life. I have started a blog about my experiences so others with the disease have something to relate to and those who are seeking understanding about the disease. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I'm sorry for what youre going through. What's described is certainly possible in terms of bipolar behavior, but doesn't need to be. What you find on the net are the horror stories, as those of us in relationships with someone who is bipolar and it's going well have no need to write. I wish you luck. And boundries. And I agree that the women with bipolar you've described are a "hot mess" and you'd best figure out how much you want to handle, because she sounds far from stable. It takes a while to get to stability, and no guarantee of staying there. If you truly respect this person, as a person, and not as a bed warmer I'd suggest remaining friends, NOT doing anything romantic, dating other people (and perhaps choosing someone else as your sweetheart) so that when she does get her act together, you won't be burned, and might have a shot at a relationship or friendship. You can't save anyone, you can only choose to stick around at a safe distance until they save themselves. And having decided not even to do that in the past, it's up to you. But find another obsession - someone who treats you poorly, even if they have an infrequent excuse - does not get an automatic pass. Look after yourself.

Hi. I have suspected my ex is bipolar & after researching it I believe this is what she is suffering from. Only recently split up after 3.5 years, not an easy decision. I have known for some time it is the correct thing to do, but my heart overruled my head until recently. All of her behavioural traits have been highlighted in all of the previous posts. The story has been very similar to everyone elses's - starts good, then the odd 'strange' bahaviour appears, but you overlook it as love is blind, especially at the beginning when it is all fresh, new & exciting. Then it gets worse and spirals downwards.

Without dragging up the finer details, her behaviour became so unacceptable (and I put up with a hell of a lot, so much more than any person that I know would have) that I had to end it for my own well-being. There is only so much you can do to help someone, but until they realise or accept there is something wrong, you are fighting a losing battle and they will end up taking you down with them. This may sound harsh, but believe me, I had given everything - whether it was emotional help, financial help, forgiveness, putting up with the drinking, spendthrift ways, accusations of cheating, the insults, and even a few physical abuse episodes.

Now, after only recently walking away, I can begin to rebuild my life (I was 'banned' from seeing my friends) and learn to enjoy life again without walking on eggshells around someone.

Dont get me wrong, it was very hard to make that decision. I feel so sorry for her (even her mother agrees she is ill and needs help) and I wish nothing but the best for her. I wont deny, but it makes me sad, when I think of the good times we had. But there comes a time when you just have to walk away from a fight before you end up taking real damage yourself, or even worse, striking back with an equal level of ferocity.

I am not saying that walking away from someone is the answer, it is not. These people need help and I am sure they can lead normal lives & relationship with the correct help. But for those of you who are seeking the courage to do leave - only after trying your absolute best - all I can say is that it is not easy. But at what cost to your life & well-being are you prepared to give? I am always here if she needs me, as a friend, but as a life partner it will never work.

I wish you all the best, whether you are ill with this disease or you partner is.

I think you're right. I just cut somebody off who I believe was bipolar (she told me when I first met her that she was). Part of me still really cares for her ad wants to be there for her. I guess I can blame the autism for my over-sensitive and over-caring nature, but no more. We autistics don't appreciate anyone who doesn't respect us or our feelings, and that goes for all the normal people who bully, tease and reject us folks on the autism spectrum and even the bipolar people. Also keep in mind that nice guys finis last, and it does't matter what type of disorder a woman has - bad boys still win. That's another thing I had to work on since we men on the autism spectrum tend to be over-caring and too nice.

Anyone who brings you more pain than what you already have, CUT 'EM OFF.
If they truly want to they may reach out to you. If they cut you off more than once, do not give them another chance. That's my motto now.

Have a great day.