My golden retriever has gained lots of weight recently. The whole family loves him so much and keeps spoiling him, especially my dad who keeps slipping him chocolates and cookies every time he visits our house! Spoiling our dog has done him no favours, and now he needs to go on a diet. What is the best diet dog food?

There are lots of great diet dog foods on the market now, and I am sure that they will all work. It is up to your dog to let you know which ones he prefers. Though, if you are trying to make him lose weight, perhaps it is not such a bad thing if he does not end up liking the food much :-). I have used beneful from purina in the past, and my dogs loves that. Very healthy too, with all the nutrients your dog needs.

I have also used Beneful and my dog also eats it up. However, there are many out there that are the premiums such as Wellness Super 5, Science Diet and many more. You can talk to your vet but when owners do the vet tries to sell you very expensive Science Diet distributed through vets only.

There are some dog foods that are naturally low in fat like Spot's Stew.

You can get these at pet stores, natural food stores and online.

First of all please tell your dad to stop giving chocolate as it can cause death in dogs at its most severest and sickness and liver probs if continued, this is due to soemthing called theobromine in human chocolate that dogs can tolerate, if you want doggy choc treats, most pet shops do their own.

I have 7 dogs all at different stages.

James Well Beloved Senior Light £45 a bag
Science Diet Plan £45 a bag
Wag Diet £10 a bag
Chappie £10 a bag

Dont dismiss chappie its one of the best on the market as its easy to digest.

Things like jWb and Science are more expensive as they contain a high meat per portion so dog feels full, my dogs love this and has lost 10lbs on it. while having full bowls. Treats he gets is diet treats only

Hill's Science diet is now in pet stores. It is the best food to use for your dog's diet. You should try Hill's science diet called "I/D, it helps alot for some weight loss with out your dog losing nurtiion he/she needs. It comes in canned and dry.
the price of this food is worth it, but they have lowered the price in the last year.
hope this helps. it does wonders for my stubby little dachshund. seen results with him within 40 days.
good luck!