So... I just had my birthday a few days ago and a friend gifted me a makeup brush set marked as blush brushes. There are six all told, three big brushes and three smaller ones, with the last two being much smaller than the third smallest on e.
I guess one may be for blush and one for loose powder to stop your skin from shining. If the smaller three really are for blush as well I have no idea how to use them, and I wouldn't know what to do with the third one either!
Someone, help? I'm lost here but I do want to learn more about makeup and I want to know how to use these brushes!
As far as applying blush with a blush brush goes, you do your foundation etc, then take the right blush, choose the right color, dab it in, shake the excess blush off a bit so that your makeup will not be overdone, and then apply it on the apples of your cheeks. If the blush is too light for your taste, you could go over it one more time.
The six brushes you got though, I doubt that they are all for blush. It seems the bigger ones might be for highlighter and loose powder and the smaller ones are for eyeshadow. Brushes should work for you not the other way around, but learning to use them can help, and YouTube is good for that.
Just looking for "how to use makeup brushes" will mean you come up with lots of results where there are pictures that show you exactly what brush is best for what purposes AND how to use it to get the best finish as well. I would start with this.
As always, when you are learning a new technique, start simple. Don't go for contouring and eyebrows and eyeshadow at the same time. Focus on one thing. Since you got blush brushes or at least some of them are for blush, I would say to focus on applying blush well first, and then move on to learning other things.
Here's a step by step guide to applying blush:
- Select the right color for your skin tone, definitely not too dark!
- Use the large brush with round edges that will almost certainly be in your set.
- Once you have put on your foundation and loose powder, then make a big smile to see where the apples of your cheeks are.
- Pick up a small amount of product with your brush, and shake off the excess, then apply it in a gentle stroke over the apples of your cheeks, moving outwards and upwards towards your ears a little bit.
- Blend carefully so it doesn't look like you put a blush sticker on your face.
Good luck :)